Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
The 4 times I've changed the oil on my Ranger.... I put in 6 quarts of oil, and it registers at the hashmark.. at the correct level.

You did remove the oil filter and replaced it with a new one, correct?

I drain the oil by first removing the oil fill plug on top of the motor. Then remove the oil pan plug, then put the plug back in, then remove the oil filter and install the new oil filter, then remove the drain plug in the oil pan again. Quite a bit of oil runs out the second time.

That's not normal..... Have you seen this thread that Metalshift eluded to above? The Fuel In Oil Thread
Reviving old thread.
I did remove the oil filter and let it drip with the cap off for over 15 minutes along with the drain plug. I will be changing the oil again come Summer. I've also done the blot test (which isn't a true indicator of fuel dilution) although, there is a minimal amount of fuel dilution. I know as with all of these trucks that it will always have dilution. This isn't fuel dilution though I don't believe. My truck sits for extended periods of time, I believe oil is simply settling over time. My next change this summer will be only with 6qt.

Dairychuk

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
I just recently had my oil changed at the dealership around 500km ago, I just checked my oil level (my truck had been sitting for a few hours since warm) and my oil sits right below the top dot (max level) is this an issue?

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Only if you want it to be.:eek:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I just recently had my oil changed at the dealership around 500km ago, I just checked my oil level (my truck had been sitting for a few hours since warm) and my oil sits right below the top dot (max level) is this an issue?
If you let the truck sit over night the oil level will be down near the hash marks.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Mine is always at the top hole right after a change and 5,000 miles later. I don't worry about it.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
The 4 times I've changed the oil on my Ranger.... I put in 6 quarts of oil, and it registers at the hashmark.. at the correct level.

You did remove the oil filter and replaced it with a new one, correct?

I drain the oil by first removing the oil fill plug on top of the motor. Then remove the oil pan plug, then put the plug back in, then remove the oil filter and install the new oil filter, then remove the drain plug in the oil pan again. Quite a bit of oil runs out the second time.

That's not normal..... Have you seen this thread that Metalshift eluded to above? The Fuel In Oil Thread
On mine with 6 quarts the level the next morning is at the top line above hash mark

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
On mine with 6 quarts the level the next morning is at the top line above hash mark
Did you remove the drain plug after the oil filter was removed?

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
i Take the oil fill cap off,take drain plug out,then remove oil filter,let it all drain for about 15 minutes,that’s enough time for it to drain,I don’t see how removing drain plug after removing oil filter makes any differnce

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
i Take the oil fill cap off,take drain plug out,then remove oil filter,let it all drain for about 15 minutes,that’s enough time for it to drain,I don’t see how removing drain plug after removing oil filter makes any differnce
It's a procedural thing. You're fine.

When the filter is removed, some of the old oil drains into the oil pan.

So if a fella ...
  • removes the drain plug,
  • Lets the oil drain out of the crankcase,
  • installs the drain plug,
  • removes the oil filter,
  • puts on the new filter,
  • then fills the motor with oil...
The oil level will be higher than expected. That old oil that drains into the crankcase when the filter was removed.... never got drained out.

FWIW....
Sponsored