Oil level

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I just did my oil change and after I added 5 qts of oil I check the dipstick and notice oil is way above the oil line. I let the truck run for about a minute but still the same. Am I missing something here because last time I check it only takes 6.2qt???
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just did my oil change and after I added 5 qts of oil I check the dipstick and notice oil is way above the oil line. I let the truck run for about a minute but still the same. Am I missing something here because last time I check it only takes 6.2qt???
Hi Miller,

Only thing that comes to mind is that the old oil was not completely drained out of the oil pan. Mine took 6.2 quarts when I did my own oil change

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi Miller,

Only thing that comes to mind is that the old oil was not completely drained out of the oil pan. Mine took 6.2 quarts when I did my own oil change

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The only thing that I can think of is my truck is sitting on a downhill and oil it’s moving to the front, I’ll have to drive my truck around my front yard and see but I’ll have to wait til thunderstorm passes by.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
did you change the filter as well?

OP
OP

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
did you change the filter as well?
yes, everything was changed, oil was drained til it was hardly dripping. Once I get the chance I’ll go to a flat surface and check if that is my issue.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
The only thing that I can think of is my truck is sitting on a downhill and oil it’s moving to the front, I’ll have to drive my truck around my front yard and see but I’ll have to wait til thunderstorm passes by.
Level ground is important for an accurate reading on the dipstick.

OP
OP

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ok took it to my front yard let run for 10 minutes and it seems if I stick the stick like nothing all this oil rubs into it and makes it look over filled(picture with blue towel) but if I do it slowly and straight down without bending it I can kinda of clearly see how it’s not above the oil line (picture with white paper towel)

2A51BD40-1B8F-4885-BAF1-7859EE29591B.jpeg

9FFB96BB-84DE-446C-9AB0-7B95A76C9640.jpeg

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Ok took it to my front yard let run for 10 minutes and it seems if I stick the stick like nothing all this oil rubs into it and makes it look over filled(picture with blue towel) but if I do it slowly and straight down without bending it I can kinda of clearly see how it’s not above the oil line (picture with white paper towel)
I usually have to check mine several times because the same thing happens. You would think there would be a more decisive way to check.

OP
OP

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
when i change the oil on the ex wifes car, cuz she's a total leech.....i usually let it run for 5 minutes with the drain plug out to ensure all the oil is properly drained.
Just did my other vehicles earlier all went perfect, this was my first time on ranger but ran into that problem, it just seems that I have to put the stick gently for some reason. I end up putting the full 6.2qt but just as previous post had to keep checking over and over, don’t know why it just rubs the whole thing as it’s going in.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
]]

in dallas area -- -yea heavy rain today or free car wash...... I think its supposed to take about 6.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Level ground is important for an accurate reading on the dipstick.
Hi Al,

It never occurred to me that it might not be level ground. I certainly learned something today relative to checking oil.... Gotta add this to the foggy memory backs in this old aged brain of mine...

A bit of a back story...

I was in my RV and coming through Phoenix, I gave a shout out to Greg Foutz, one of my Ford House Teams from my time at Ford. Greg has a spot inside his gated area at the back of the shop where we could stop for the night and have dinner with him and his lovely wife. So when in the shop, Greg let me wander around. End of the day...the fabricators were having difficulty with a racing Side By Side quad frame. They simply could not get it square when measuring the diagonals which should be equal. So, knowing the lead fabricator, he had me come over to the layout table where the frame was tack welded together. All the square tubes were cut to length but the chassis was not square. I noticed that they were measuring the diagonals over an air hose on the right side of the chassis. So I suggested removing the air hose...Guess what...the chassis was square...the ½" hose affected the measurement by quite a bit. Greg and I had a good laugh over this "puzzlement".

Foutz Motorsports has a very long history with Ford Truck...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same "issue". I would stick it in, and then remove it and the level was unreadable with all the oil all over the dipstick. I ended up sticking it in and then removing it quickly and finally got a good reading.....just have to be quick on the draw.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
when i change the oil on the ex wifes car, cuz she's a total leech.....i usually let it run for 5 minutes with the drain plug out to ensure all the oil is properly drained.
You're kidding....Right??
Or do you just hate leeches?
Don't you just hate it when someone misses a joke?:giggle:

OP
OP

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had the same "issue". I would stick it in, and then remove it and the level was unreadable with all the oil all over the dipstick. I ended up sticking it in and then removing it quickly and finally got a good reading.....just have to be quick on the draw.
By
yeah, I had to do it gently and making sure the stick went in straight but still.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase