What was your first Ford daily driver?

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
My very first DD was a 1978 Buick Skyhawk with a V6 auto. As a junior in in high-school, it was a cool car. That was in 1983. My first Ford was a 1973 Ford F-250. I owned both of those in my home state of Iowa!
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Oh it was a cream puff. Oklahoma car. Clean 1 owner 53K miles. It was a base model '68 Galaxie 500 fastback. White, black vinyl roof. 302 2V. No AC, no PB, just P/S. Sure miss that one.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My first Ford was a '72 (I think) Pinto. I bought it as a winter beater for $300 while my '78. Z28 was stored for the winter. I came out of the store one day to find it on fire in the parking lot. :facepalm: Still got $50 for it from the bone yard though.?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
1965 Ford Falcon 2 door hardtop with 85K miles. It was my first Ford and daily driver. My Dad gave it to me for my 15th birthday along with my first Craftsman tool box filled with the basics. I had a year to get it running like it should.

He taught me how to pull the C4 transmission to send out for a bench rebuild, replace the brakes (I still remember honing the brake wheel cylinders), change the head gasket, adjust the hydraulic lifters, tune, time, and bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. We finished it off with a brand new set of Firestone E70-14 white letter bias ply tires. I had it running like a top for my drivers license test on my 16th birthday in 1980.

What's funny is that I often think that I had to do all those things to get the car in good shape. It was 14 years old when I got it at age 15 and it needed all that work with only 85K miles on it. I have a 2004 Mazda3 that is 16 years old with 209K miles. It's still running strong with just regular maintenance and a clutch change. In fact, I'm getting ready to sell it since I don't drive it much anymore.

I sold my 86 Toyota 4x4 in 1995 with 220K miles on it and still running great. I also sold my 95 Ford F150 4x4 standard cab long bed in 2004 with 190K miles on it and running like a top. It's amazing how cars got so much better. Of course, it helps to take care of them as well.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
1970 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon. I don’t have any pictures of it because they got damaged when a shed collapse and all my old photo albums got soaked. It was mostly blue, but this shows the size and style.

It obviously was a big chick magnet.

5DFFC18A-BDC0-47BD-BEA2-1255BAB04F94.jpeg

umichigan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Magnetic
1970 Ford Maverick purchased in 1980 for around $160. Straight 6 engine, no power brakes, no power steering, am radio with one speaker, air vents via a small metal door below the A pillar ( near the feet), vinyl bench seats, vinyl floor. Drove on fiberglass belt tires until the belts started showing then replaced them with used ones from the corner gas station (hopefully the fronts matched each other and the rears did also, if I was really lucky the rears might be slightly bigger than the fronts because that looked cooler). Ran on leaded gas. Could open the door by reaching in a rust hole. Muffler reconditioned by wrapping it with heating duct metal held on with wire. I really miss that car.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
My first Ford was and is a 66 stang fastback that I bought in 1976 . Still love and own it today although I used to be Chevy guy with Impalas and a 69 Z28 Camaro .

IMG_3527 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
My first Ford was my first car and it was a 1989 Mustang 5.0 that looked similar to this one:
1989_ford_mustang-pic-91351955543501001-1024x768.jpeg

Mine didn't have a decal and had fainted paint (to the point of it being pink in color unless I waxed it). I was in my last month of high school when it was handed down from my older sister (who also had it as her high school car). The ladies despised being seen in it, but my buddies loved the speed. Back then it was almost considered a sleeper because few knew it's potential. This was during the transition from dial-up to broadband so people weren't on the internet all day discussing cars ? , and only one or two people in school had a Nokia cell phone just for emergencies.

She met her demise when a first-gen Nissan Titan pulled out in front of me when I was going 55 mph on a local highway. The drum brakes and lack of ABS just couldn't stop in time, but I was able to avoid critically T-boning the Titan driver by swerving to the right into a guard wall. The damage wasn't that extensive but enough for insurance to consider it totaled and not worth repairing. They gave me a little over KBB value and off it went. I hope somebody eventually repaired it, or, at least, the heart is still beating in some other car.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
1955 Ford Fairlane purchased in 1961. First car I owned. Yeah, I'm that old. Not this car, but the same color.

1606078930327.png

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
My first Ford was and is a 66 stang fastback that I bought in 1976 . Still love it today although I used to be Chevy guy with Impalas and a 69 Z28 Camaro .

IMG_3527 (2).JPG
SWEET !!!

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
First vehicle at 16 was a '97 wrangler sport with the 4.0 and hard top. Bought it from my cousins wife as they had just started having kids and decided they needed to part with it. Had always been female owned and dealer serviced. Was 100% mint condition and took it off their hands for 4k in 2006 which was a total steal at the time in my opinion.

First new Ford was a 2013 ford focus S.

Deleted member 1634

Looking at a lot of the dates on your guys' vehicles, I'll really show my age with this one. haha

The first vehicle I learned to drive on was a 1994 Ford Explorer when I was 12 (2002). We used to take it out onto the back roads and just drive around the old/current/new logging roads looking for blueberries. Sat on a little wood step on the seat with a pad on it. haha Then I ended up learning to plow the driveway with that thing for the next 6 years until I left for college.

The first car I drove regularly when I got my license was our family 1998 Ford Windstar. Not the coolest car for sure, but since most of my friends were slightly younger and didn't have their license yet, it became the friend transport mobile. haha That's the one that really taught me how to drive in the snow too, because that thing was horrendous. The TC would intervene way too much since it was a relatively early iteration, and we never put snow tires on it for whatever reason. So it was quite the 'thrown in the deep end' sort of situation. haha

Then I got handed down my dad's 2001 Ford Focus ZTS, which I had from senior year of HS through college and a year after. Wonderful little car and I loved it a lot. It was a stick, and relatively peppy, so it was fun. A lot of formative years and memories in that car. It was hard to let it go, but alas the rust overtook it and that was that.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: