What is this? The main reason I joined is because not even the dealer knew the answer

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Lets all bare in mind that no-one at all wants to be a car salesman [person], no one goes to college to major in car sales, in elementary school no one comes to career day with tacky pants, oversized watch, pinky ring or slickster hair like Charlie Sheen wore in Wall Street [the movie]..
you END UP at the stealership, so I've grown to take a bit of pity and more patience then I use to.

It's a whores racket [can i say whore here?] and the last stop to oblivion.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my Ranger in September 2019, after asking numerous questions I had already researched online, I quickly discovered that I was more knowledgeable about the "new" Ranger than anybody I met at the dealership. Caveat Emptor
Ask that sales guy how to text on a rotary phone hhahahhaa ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Lets all bare in mind that no-one at all wants to be a car salesman [person], no one goes to college to major in car sales, in elementary school no one comes to career day with tacky pants, oversized watch, pinky ring or slickster hair like Charlie Sheen wore in Wall Street [the movie]..
you END UP at the stealership, so I've grown to take a bit of pity and more patience then I use to.

For the most part you're right but like anything in life if you apply yourself any career can be profitable. My salesman back east was the best I've ever had. He was very knowledgeable and wasn't pushy, we made several deals over the phone.

I had a realtor I worked with who made upper 6 figures when most were struggling to survive. Now that's a whores market! She was a go getter and very detail oriented and went above and beyond for her clients. To this day I still refer her name to friends who still live back there and they all love her. I guess it what you make of your life and it's obvious that so many are skating through on thin ice.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's a quote from someone who just returned from test driving the Bronco Sport this morning. Pretty bad when the sales manager is ill informed.

3) Dealer knowledge: This was largest dealer in Miami with stated 500-ish reservations. They had NO iDEA when ordering starts. Sales manager with WT order for himself was unaware you can change trim level at order time. Salesperson told me I would get my Bronco sooner, the sooner I gave them additional deposit (My bullsh_t meter was buzzing and flashing red). They are MSRP only. The floor manager thinks 100% of converted orders will take delivery (huh?), doesn't think Ford will penalize dealership for selling reserved Bronco to a different person, was unaware that reservation/order conversions affect allocation. Sales manager admitted that folks on the forums are better informed than him. Also, said he's got many non-reservation holders that really want Broncos and was interested in getting my 3 reservations, but his boss was unwilling to give me a dollar below MSRP on even one. Most dealers are clueless and don't give a crap until they can actually start selling. Recent rumor that ordering may get pushed to summer is 100% speculative b.s.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m giving props to my salesman then! Every question I asked he had an answer for. For some of the answers he went into some detailed specifics. Like lane assist and crash prevention we spent 10 minutes on the do’s and don’ts. Then when he was satisfied that all my questions were answered gave me his business card, personal cell number and a firm handshake. Said to reach out anytime as he was sure something else would come up if I couldn’t find it in the manual. Also informed me any leads I sent his way for new car sales would get me a finders bonus. Has reached out 4 times since picking up the car wanting to know if I’m a satisfied customer and if I might have had any inquiries. Can’t beat that at ANY dealership!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I suppose I am lucky as the dealers I have worked with have had some pretty good knowledge of the product they sell. They arent gearheads for the most part, but they arent clueless either.

The wonderful lady who sold me my Ranger was one of them, and even called me while driving a Ranger at a dealer event just to let me know I was going to love how it performed
not everyone will have the drive to excel in their career choice, but in mine, if you get asked a question you dont know the answer to, you never stop the conversation at "i dont know"

you always find out the answer and follow up. it's not an embarrassment to not know something, but it is if you bullshit your way through it.
The sales guy who handled my sale wasn't super knowledgeable about the Ranger, but any time I asked him something he didn't know, his response was something along the lines of "I'm not sure, but I'll ask [person name] and get right back to you." And he almost always came through on finding the answer.

I was also considering the Colorado (mainly to get the crew cab/6 ft bed combo), and the sales guy at Chevy would just make up an answer if he didn't know something. Very frustrating to be told one thing and then afterward find out it's not entirely accurate.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
In doing a ton of research for both my 2019 Ranger and 2020 GT500, the Range sales people were way more knowledgeable than any of the GT500 salesman I spoke with. I get that the number of GT500s sold pales in comparison to the Ranger, but when you have 2 GT500s in the showroom and the supposed expert is the one talking to you they should know more about the car than any of them did. I actually had one tell me straight out that he knew I knew more about the car than he did but he would answer any questions I had that he actually knew the answer to.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Yeah some yrs back I knew a guy who was between jobs so he took a job selling cars at a Volvo dealer, he did pretty well but said he sometimes felt quilty because customers who were nice people often times wouldn't negotiate hard and often times didn't get the best deal, but such is life I guess.

Anyways this guy saved his pennies and opened up 2 indoor shooting ranges - this goes back some 10 yrs and he's been absolutely rolling in the $$$ from the ranges. Last time I visited I got to shoot a .50 pistol, what a beast !

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
We spend a lot of time researching the heck out of the Ranger and learning from each other here on this forum. We dive deep into one particular vehicle, our Rangers. A good salesman needs to be knowledgeable on every vehicle the dealership sells which is several. It would be the rare salesman that has this depth of knowledge on all the models.

My salesman was pretty darn good and that is why I have been going to him since 2010.

gttafoya

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician
When I got my truck the "Tech Guy" was going to show me how to install the FordPass app and do a walk around to show me all the features of the truck.
I ended up showing the "Tech Guy" many features of the app and the truck.
I heard many times " Oh, I didn't know that".

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Radar jamming against ground targets.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I get that a new owner doesn’t know what that is, so no shade being thrown at you, but the sales guy? Come on! I guess Ford dealers no longer hold product knowledge competitions for their sales people.

You should ask him what the key slot in the rear bumper is for.
In my 44 years, and over 10 vehicles bought at dealerships I've learned to only trust them to answer one question.

"How much?"

These are salesmen, not enthusiasts for the most part. Fords, refrigerators, RVs, solar panels, doesn't matter to them what they sell.

I’ve have never bought any type a vehicle where the salesman knew more than I did about it.
This, all day.

I stop them now if they try to talk to me about anything other than price.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

It all depends on the person. My first new vehicle purchase, was an '85 S-15. I was 24 at the time. The salesman I bought the truck from, same age as me, worked there since he was in high school. He started out washing cars. He bought the dealership shortly after I bought my truck and lived in a house much nicer than what I had at the time.

He was simply good with people and was an honest guy.

There's a niche for everybody. You just have to find what you are good at and really work at succeeding.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
In my 44 years, and over 10 vehicles bought at dealerships I've learned to only trust them to answer one question.

"How much?"

These are salesmen, not enthusiasts for the most part. Fords, refrigerators, RVs, solar panels, doesn't matter to them what they sell.

This, all day.

I stop them now if they try to talk to me about anything other than price.
So just now, maybe 45 minutes after posting the above, this happens.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dealership-miscalculated-sales-tax.10945/

Apparently they can't even get price right sometimes.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It all depends on the person. My first new vehicle purchase, was an '85 S-15. I was 24 at the time. The salesman I bought the truck from, same age as me, worked there since he was in high school. He started out washing cars. He bought the dealership shortly after I bought my truck and lived in a house much nicer than what I had at the time.

He was simply good with people and was an honest guy.

There's a niche for everybody. You just have to find what you are good at and really work at succeeding.
S-15 was a chevy, everyone knows that Chevy is a brand you can trust, "baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" , so it makes sense they only have honest sales people. ;)

Some years back I went into a John Elway dealership shopping for a car, sat down with the sales guy and discussed pricing - Johnnie Elway's price was substantially higher than other dealerships, so I said no thanks but before leaving I asked the sales guy if people pay more because John Elway owns the dealership. The sales guy broke out in the widest grin I've ever seen on a human and said you wouldn't believe if it I told you how many people do - this is the easiest sales job I've ever had.

I guess P.T. Barnum knew what he was talking about......
Sponsored