Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Just got a call from the salesman who sold me my truck about a month ago.

County DMV kicked back my paperwork saying dealership shorted them roughly $1600 in sales tax.

Not sure what to think. They calculated the taxes, they had my address. We made a deal.

My initial response to him was we have two choices. They cover it, or I bring them their truck back and we scratch the deal. He said he'd get back to me.

I love my truck, if it ends up being a free rental for a month I'll take my money elsewhere for another Ranger. But I don't want to have to do that.

Not happy at all.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
I am in sales and if I did that I would have to eat it that’s just the way it is and should be.
Hoping dude and his sales manager feel the same way. Don't want to have to restart the buying process. Thought I was done with that for a few years.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks for the reassurance.

Really not liking what's going to have to go down if they don't.
Just take a hardline stance.. no worries, your good. Now remember if you go back there for service work you'll be on double secret probation.. :bandit:

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Just take a hardline stance.. no worries, your good. Now remember if you go back there for service work you'll be on double secret probation.. :bandit:
Local dealership gets my service business. They just don't really seem to like to sell cars. Did the internet search pricing game before buying so first experience with this dealership.

Definitely not bending over on this one.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a call from the salesman who sold me my truck about a month ago.

County DMV kicked back my paperwork saying dealership shorted them roughly $1600 in sales tax.

Not sure what to think. They calculated the taxes, they had my address. We made a deal.

My initial response to him was we have two choices. They cover it, or I bring them their truck back and we scratch the deal. He said he'd get back to me.

I love my truck, if it ends up being a free rental for a month I'll take my money elsewhere for another Ranger. But I don't want to have to do that.

Not happy at all.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Curious why DMV is involved in sales tax - was it license and doc fees ? Either way, dealer eats it, especially if you have plates in hand...

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Curious why DMV is involved in sales tax - was it license and doc fees ? Either way, dealer eats it, especially if you have plates in hand...
Because that's how it's done in Colorado?

Perhaps I oversimplified with DMV. But basically state is refusing to title due to insufficient tax collected. Here you pay your local sales tax rate regardless of where you buy in the state.

No tag, except temp tag, in hand until this is resolved and state signs off. Which is why I told him eat it or scratch the deal.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Once they have you sign and close the deal that’s a legal and binding contract. To come back later and attempt to change that contract cannot be enforced. They eat it
That was my thought for sure. Glad to hear I'm not out of my mind here.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Once they have you sign and close the deal that’s a legal and binding contract. To come back later and attempt to change that contract cannot be enforced. They eat it
That's also why they (usually) have finance department that handles all the final paperwork/cash transactions...

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
That's also why they (usually) have finance department that handles all the final paperwork/cash transactions...
Now that I think about it. Sales Manager did final paperwork, said he was filling in for finance guy who was off.

I'll remember those points if there's any persuasion needed.

Still no call back. Think I'll give him a few more minutes and reach out.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
The simple question is, "What did I do wrong that should cost me $1600"? They will give in....Just wishful thinking on their part.
Sponsored