Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the auto repair field from bottom to top for 35+ years. I can tell you that in every shop there is fair good better best mechanics. Usually the oil and lube guy is entry level. The key is to find out which mechanic is best and specify you want him/her to work on your car. But, everyone can and do make mistakes in all fields even rocket science or brain surgery. The better guys can fix their mistakes.

Also if your a perfect person wanabe and go into the shop and act like you know it all and think that you are super important and want everything done fast then you will be screwed. One more thing, sometimes the mechanic has to try to fix some real bad engineering that the manufactor didnt, probably because of the bean counters.

You bought a new to the USA first run vehicle. Expect a few problems to happen and dont expect even the best mechanic to know all of the quirks right away. Based on the stories on this web site I think that the Ranger has had a very good roll out. And if you have changed the engineering with YOUR MODS then all bets are off. It is your problem now and dont expect others to take care of your problems that you created. ??
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I used to be a secret shopper, you know the people that go in, have to order specific things or buy certain things, and then send a review to a company. Everything would be paid for plus a stipend for non-food, so we’d get a lot of free meals or stuff that we would then donate. I was offered $100 plus reimbursement to have the local Ford dealer change my oil and engine belt. I drove in, watched them back a brand new truck into their toolbox, damaging both, and decided to drive away. I’ve never been back for service, but like an idiot I bought a car from them that ended up putting me in court. At least I won that.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
? Hi Rich, So that is what a softwar e engineer does. ?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
? Hi Rich, So that is what a softwar e engineer does. ?
In his spare time. My wife was the one that was the shopper, I just went along because most required two people. She wasn’t working at the time so she had time to set it up.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
From 2005-2010 I used to be a contract warranty/insurance inspector for many different extended warranty companies, quick lube companies and insurance companies. I can't tell you how many times i had seen (unnamed quicklube company) that had drain plugs back out after the customer just got an oil change. I would see probably one every 2-3 weeks. Same story every time, the customer calls the quick lube shop, tell them the drain plug fell out and warning lights everywhere. They would then come out to wherever the customer was, put a new drain plug and refill with oil and claim there was no issues and that the engine had preexisting problems if there were any noises.

Not saying to not go to the quick lube places or any dealers, but just keep all your documentation and service history no matter where you go. If you ever have a problem that is the first thing they will ask for. If you do your own maintenance, keep a log of dates/mileage as well as the receipts you have of your purchase of the oil and oil filter.

OP
OP
Arc Ranger

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
From 2005-2010 I used to be a contract warranty/insurance inspector for many different extended warranty companies, quick lube companies and insurance companies. I can't tell you how many times i had seen (unnamed quicklube company) that had drain plugs back out after the customer just got an oil change. I would see probably one every 2-3 weeks. Same story every time, the customer calls the quick lube shop, tell them the drain plug fell out and warning lights everywhere. They would then come out to wherever the customer was, put a new drain plug and refill with oil and claim there was no issues and that the engine had preexisting problems if there were any noises.

Not saying to not go to the quick lube places or any dealers, but just keep all your documentation and service history no matter where you go. If you ever have a problem that is the first thing they will ask for. If you do your own maintenance, keep a log of dates/mileage as well as the receipts you have of your purchase of the oil and oil filter.
I've been using the Fordpass app to log the maintenance. It is such an awesome feature and I feel that Ford is ahead of the curve over most other auto manufacturers. One of the cool things about it is you can take a picture of the receipt as part of the maintenance log entry. All the information is in one place rather than having to search through glove boxes or accordion binders for maintenance logs and receipts.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I've been using the Fordpass app to log the maintenance. It is such an awesome feature and I feel that Ford is ahead of the curve over most other auto manufacturers. One of the cool things about it is you can take a picture of the receipt as part of the maintenance log entry. All the information is in one place rather than having to search through glove boxes or accordion binders for maintenance logs and receipts.
That does sound interesting.

metaldrumcore

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150, 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Director of Information Technology in Higher Education
That is ok. Through no fault of my wonderful family owned Ford dealership 3 miles from my house my 2019 Ford Ranger that sat on their lot since last May was finally purchased by me May the 2nd. They checked the truck for this tail light recall while it was on the lot but being it is an intermittent issue and they were working at that time it was marked as fine and put back on the line. Well I purchased it and on the way home, remember I'm 3 miles from this place, the lights stopped working. Cut the truck off when I got home and cut it back on to find them working again. Figured it was a fluke and paid it no mind. I drove 60 miles one-way to the nearest Home Depot that following weekend and the lights cut in/out 7 times there and back. My wife who rode with me that time was less than thrilled. I asked the Service Manager when these elusive Ford plugs would be coming in for the connectors under the cab. His response, "I'm not sure. With part shortages already and now the COVID thing I can't get any in-stock." Thankfully they have a great loaner program and I parked my truck there last week as I couldn't risk the tail light issues any longer but unfortunately their loaner is a Focus. So now I'm truckless. I'm not mad at the dealership at all but Ford and their parts shortages on Rangers are insane. I have absolutely no idea how long I'll be without my truck now and its because of a damn connector that Ford probably skimped on to manufacture and it ended with a massive design flaw that bends their pins...lovely. My dealership did manage to find one of the 2 connectors at a dealership roughly 16 hours away but they could ship to them. The issue is that it requires both connectors to function properly so that does us little good. I understand also that once you break the connection between these two connectors you can't reattach them? That seems like a very silly design choice. Why even make it a connector if you can disconnect/reconnect??? I will patiently wait, I guess.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
The break connector sounds like an anti left measure to me

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm with you, warranty repair would be the only reason I would bring it back. Although a recall is basically like a warranty repair, and they took working taillights and made them not work, so...

My experience was much different. I got my oil changed the way I wanted it, I got my tail lights repaired and are still working, but like you I got called right before they closed and had to race up there to get my truck.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I also had a fun time at my local dealership.

Noticed my front drive shaft boot was slinging grease out of it so decided to take it to the dealer to knock out the inspection on the drive shaft and the brake light recall that I never had issues with.

I fully expected the worst service and a run around so none of this was a surprise to me.

Got a call saying they found no leaks on the driveshaft and that it’s only coming out of the grease fittings on the shaft. “That’s normal”, I proceeded to mention the drive shaft is a sealed item without grease fittings and if they look on the underside of the body they can see a line of grease from the boot leaking.

Twenty minutes pass and they call back saying the found the leak and they tightened the clamp up (the single use clamps). I asked if they happened to put grease back into the boot since all of it was no longer inside the boot. They told me “it looked okay“.. hah.

When I went to pick the truck up stopped by the truck before going in and noticed the truck had a blind spot monitor fault and the passenger side lamp assembly no longer worked. I went and told them before I signed anything after which they went back and plugged the harness in.

Just another predictable crap experience from the dealership. :thumbsdown:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I also had a fun time at my local dealership.

Noticed my front drive shaft boot was slinging grease out of it so decided to take it to the dealer to knock out the inspection on the drive shaft and the brake light recall that I never had issues with.

I fully expected the worst service and a run around so none of this was a surprise to me.

Got a call saying they found no leaks on the driveshaft and that it’s only coming out of the grease fittings on the shaft. “That’s normal”, I proceeded to mention the drive shaft is a sealed item without grease fittings and if they look on the underside of the body they can see a line of grease from the boot leaking.

Twenty minutes pass and they call back saying the found the leak and they tightened the clamp up (the single use clamps). I asked if they happened to put grease back into the boot since all of it was no longer inside the boot. They told me “it looked okay“.. hah.

When I went to pick the truck up stopped by the truck before going in and noticed the truck had a blind spot monitor fault and the passenger side lamp assembly no longer worked. I went and told them before I signed anything after which they went back and plugged the harness in.

Just another predictable crap experience from the dealership. :thumbsdown:
Thats really disappointing, they definitely should have given you a new CV axle.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
Would be a nice turn of events if manufacturers would simply sale directly to the public, much like Tesla does.

Dealers have earned that bad reputation, especially when they add their B.S. market adjustments and dealer add ons to the vehicles.

BobDP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger
Another happy customer at the Ford Authorized Dis-Service Center...

Also not certain, but I was told at my center that FoMoCo does not make a full synthetic for dealership sale...I see Motorcraft does make a full-synthetic though... either way I'm not wasting my time or money with factory service, I have always tossed out new vehicle free oil change coupons and these free points are worthless to me. I'm sticking with my Castrol Edge.
I don't know if you have ever heard of Amsoil but they invented synthetic oil for cars in 1972 and beat everyone in all categories in independent testing.
Check out this link;
Amsoil.com/?zo=1396027
Once you use Amsoil you won't ever settle for less.
Plus, if you want to save up to 25% off list let me know.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I don't know if you have ever heard of Amsoil but they invented synthetic oil for cars in 1972 and beat everyone in all categories in independent testing.
Check out this link;
Amsoil.com/?zo=1396027
Once you use Amsoil you won't ever settle for less.
Plus, if you want to save up to 25% off list let me know.

I used Amsoil in my 1999 V8 Dakota with 15k mile oil changes. I did that from 80k miles up to when I traded it in at 150,000 miles. The only thing left on that truck when I (happily) got rid of it that was decent was the inside of that engine. Still ran like a top.

I might use Amsoil in my Ranger when the 10 free oil changes run out.
Sponsored