What did you receive in the mail today for your Ranger?

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
Ballsy move! GA's tag laws are a little weird so you might be able to skate for the reasons you cited earlier. Plus, don't forget, in GA your allowed to affix a vintage vehicle tag to your vintage car that is unrelated to your car, as long as you carry your original tag with you! More GA tag law weirdness.

But then there is this...

TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 2 - REGISTRATION AND LICENSING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 2 - REGISTRATION AND LICENSING GENERALLY
§ 40-2-41 - Display of license plates
I wonder if the fact that it is absolutely being without the intention resemble a GA tag... no peach, different color, may be why the LEO friends feel it's a gray area.

I like it. It looks good. I'd say that unless you got an absolute prick pulling you over for something... they're going to run the tag, it'll come back valid, and they'll not even think twice about it.

Reactions: Doc

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the fact that it is absolutely being without the intention resemble a GA tag... no peach, different color, may be why the LEO friends feel it's a gray area.

I like it. It looks good. I'd say that unless you got an absolute prick pulling you over for something... they're going to run the tag, it'll come back valid, and they'll not even think twice about it.
That is why some of my GSP friends were the first I went to to inquire their opinion, cause troopers are some of the biggest traffic karens there are. You know you've got something good when a trooper gives you that "hmm not sure" look on their face instead of instantaneously belting out the OCGA and subsection for traffic code when you ask them about it.

@Glocker

76706864_130046441747241_3556956313839730688_n.jpg

IMG_20220812_113535.jpg

Last edited:

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
That is why some of my GSP friends were the first I went to to inquire their opinion, cause troopers are some of the biggest traffic karens there are.

76706864_130046441747241_3556956313839730688_n.jpg
QFT. I live just above Savannah and spend a lot of time in Georgia. Because I live in SC, it's an automatic ticket if I get pulled for anything. They will not give out of state drivers a warning. Ruined my 20+ year clean driving record. Well... I did, by giving them cause to pull me, but you know what I mean.

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
As someone mentioned that is the county that I live in.

So after conversing with some of my blue fuzz Brothers in the Georgia State patrol and other local agencies I am proceeding with this little project. It is sort of one of the things that's not condone but such a gray area nobody can really determine the legality of it. I have my plate registration sticker as well ready to go on. I don't even know if I could cite someone as long as the registration plate has all the required info and the only difference is somebody changed the color. OCGA does have verbiage regarding alteration of a plate but that verbiage also seems to be directed at people trying to conceal, obscure, or outright falsify plate information. Also from a technical standpoint I am not altering the plate sent to me that I purchased and own but I will be keeping it in my glove box just in case.

Also at least as far as custom plates go in Georgia they are no longer stamped it's actually just one giant sticker anyhow.

I didn't have time before work to get the vinyl all laid out centered and even. Should probably get it done when the morning when I get off.

I think the black plate with white lettering will be a nice touch on my truck as all my graphics and everything in general is a black and white combination.

Once the vinyl lettering is installed I am going to clear coat the entire thing to make sure it doesn't break down even though the vinyl should be good for 7 years. Wants to clear coat is good to go I'll stick the little square registration sticker in the bottom right hand corner where it normally goes.

IMG_20220811_164115~2.jpg
Would a LPR or Camera have any issues reading it? I know here in TN when we switched to new plates designs there were some articles about cameras having an issue with them.
In TN the word issued is in the T.C.A so technically they could say it's not an issued by the state plate. but wording for GA may be different.
If someone from TN made a plate like that, they're probably is going to get stopped especially during THSO seeing how we don't have black plates.
It would definitely catch my attention.
Another thing is people would start making their own customize plates using their original plate number but by making their own designs for the plate the State wouldn't get that sweet sweet extra money they charge.

Reactions: Doc

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Would a LPR or Camera have any issues reading it? I know here in TN when we switched to new plates designs there were some articles about cameras having an issue with them.
In TN the word issued is in the T.C.A so technically they could say it's not an issued by the state plate. but wording for GA may be different.
If someone from TN made a plate like that, they're probably is going to get stopped especially during THSO seeing how we don't have black plates.
Another thing is people would start making their own customize plates using their original plate number but by making their own designs for the plate the State wouldn't get that sweet sweet extra money they charge.

You can't purchase just the registration of a alphanumeric of your choice you still have to purchase the vanity plate regardless if I'm using it so they don't lose any money. Also unlike a random issued license plate a vanity plate in Georgia pretty much belongs to the owner once purchased because it cannot be reissued.

At the end of the day due to verbiage being somewhat unspecific and broad it's just one of those things it's worth poking the bear.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered about the toll road cameras and parking enforcement cameras as well - there are standards. Our provincial government redesigned the license plate and began issuing them as new registrations came in. They’re required to submit batches of plates for testing and examination (to the provincial police, I think). They didn’t and the result was a plate that couldn’t be easily read at night or in poor lighting conditions. It also couldn’t be accurately read by toll road cameras. But the new design matched the colours of the elected party’s official logo so, yeah, good to go. ?‍♂

When it comes to Jack’s plate, I think anyone interested in pulling him over simply because they noticed the plate (OFC Ranger obeys ALL traffic codes of the OCGA at all times ?), would not likely be having a “gotcha” moment - they’d see that rig and be curious. So, I think they’d run it, find it to be legit, see the proper tag, take a second look at the truck, and figure, that’s gotta be something official I just don’t know about yet, and move on.

If he was pulled over, they’d see the interior with all it’s tactical and comms gear, the badge would be out, and I’m sure Jack would be on his way.

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
You can't purchase just the registration of a alphanumeric of your choice you still have to purchase the vanity plate regardless if I'm using it so they don't lose any money. Also unlike a random issued license plate a vanity plate in Georgia pretty much belongs to the owner once purchased because it cannot be reissued.

At the end of the day due to verbiage being somewhat unspecific and broad it's just one of those things it's worth poking the bear.
You have to pay extra for vanity plates here also.
I was saying if you start printing you own plates vanity or not, then others could print theirs with different background and not pay the fee but using their state issue alpha/nums

Like I said T.C.A for TN has the word issued in it and that plate isn't issued by the state. I didn't read Ga codes. If you lived in TN and made a TN plate. Would I stop you? From looking at your truck, doubtful but don't know. I would've more than likely ran your plate simply because I haven't seen a black plate and I know they're not issued here. It would have came back to your truck and description so I probably would shrug it off. THP on the other hand probably wouldn't

It does look sharp on your truck though

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
I wondered about the toll road cameras and parking enforcement cameras as well - there are standards. Our provincial government redesigned the license plate and began issuing them as new registrations came in. They’re required to submit batches of plates for testing and examination (to the provincial police, I think). They didn’t and the result was a plate that couldn’t be easily read at night or in poor lighting conditions. It also couldn’t be accurately read by toll road cameras. But the new design matched the colours of the elected party’s official logo so, yeah, good to go. ?‍♂

When it comes to Jack’s plate, I think anyone interested in pulling him over simply because they noticed the plate (OFC Ranger obeys ALL traffic codes of the OCGA at all times ?), would not likely be having a “gotcha” moment - they’d see that rig and be curious. So, I think they’d run it, find it to be legit, see the proper tag, take a second look at the truck, and figure, that’s gotta be something official I just don’t know about yet, and move on.

If he was pulled over, they’d see the interior with all it’s tactical and comms gear, the badge would be out, and I’m sure Jack would be on his way.
Yeah when they were talking about the cameras here having an issue with the plates when they came out...I was like dang I need me one of those before they change the paint formula to make it more easy for the cameras to pick up ?

You pretty much nailed what I said in my follow up post . I would've ran it simply because I know we don't have black plates. As long as it came back I probably wouldn't bother but THP they're a different animal although I know back in the day there used to be a female cop that the joke was she'd even ticket her own mother?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
While its extremely rare that I've been stopped (I think last time I got pulled over was nearly 5 years ago) I don't badge drop. I do announce I have my off-duty weapon on my persons as a courtesy (though not required in GA for anyone to announce a weapon) as I offer my standard DL and vehicle information. Of course this leads to the same question every time, "Where do you work?"

I also out of courtesy always roll down the driver side passenger window (due to tint), which at this point as you mentioned, probably grab their attention with all the doo-dads present with my back seat delete.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
While its extremely rare that I've been stopped (I think last time I got pulled over was nearly 5 years ago) I don't badge drop. I do announce I have my off-duty weapon on my persons as a courtesy (though not required in GA for anyone to announce a weapon) as I offer my standard DL and vehicle information. Of course this leads to the same question every time, "Where do you work?"

I also out of courtesy always roll down the driver side passenger window (due to tint), which at this point as you mentioned, probably grab their attention with all the doo-dads present with my back seat delete.
Same procedure for me. Although...

...I had been pulled over a number of times in my "UC" vehicle. Sometimes a quick flash of the lights would quickly resolve the issue. Sometimes upon first contact, when they saw me wearing body armor with a rifle in the truck and the police radio going, all was okay.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

...I had been pulled over a number of times in my "UC" vehicle. Sometimes a quick flash of the lights would quickly resolve the issue. Sometimes upon first contact, when they saw me wearing body armor with a rifle in the truck and the police radio going, all was okay.
Had a black suv go hauling ass down our main road late one night a few years back. I forgot GBI was working in the area for something. Yea they quick blipped me before I had a chance to even turn mine on.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Had a black suv go hauling ass down our main road late one night a few years back. I forgot GBI was working in the area for something. Yea they quick blipped me before I had a chance to even turn mine on.
I was slow rolling through an area looking for an business to pick some things up from, and my slow driving caught the attention of the local Five-Oh. After he fell in behind me, I could see him trying talking on the radio. Now he's on the computer. Back on the radio. Looking frustrated. And themn it happened - lights and sirens.

I pulled over, blipped the lights on and off, as he was walking up to the truck. He was laughing so hard when he saw me. He said he saw me driving slow through the area and that got his attention, and when he ran my tag, it wasn't returning. Yep - UC tag! HAHAHA

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

So a question for you fellas...

I have a CCW license and frequently carry.

It has been a loooong time since I was pulled over, but if/when I do get pulled over, I would like to know the preferred procedure to let the officer know I have a weapon and put them at ease that I'm not a threat.

I have the utmost respect for our LEO and want to make their job as stress free as possible.