What did you do WITH your Ranger today?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Wow! How did it handle with that much weight back there?
I used tow/haul mode. The increased stopping distance was obvious, but not unreasonable. Acceleration, even uphill, was impressive. I would never push hard into a corner with this type of load, but the steering was responsive and predictable even with the weight. I’m impressed.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I used my truck for what I bought it for, except today, I had a twist. A buddy of mine and I went for a hike - high winds were forecast later in the day, which did come in. We had no issues getting to the trail, but on the way back out, we were stopped by this:
20200907_181320.jpg

I think it had come down shortly before we got there. While we were assessing the scene and what to do, 4 more cars came along. I didn't have a chainsaw due to the high fire danger (it is VERY dry right now). Plan A was to stack up the branches and attempt to drive over the log in the road, but we came up with Plan B which was to use our handsaws to cut the log over the road and cut the hanging branches off the hanging tree and then use my tow strap to pull the log enough to drive under/past it. Fortunately, the tree was relatively easy to cut with a handsaw. While we were cutting, another tree top broke off in a gust, but it didn't land on the road.

Plan B worked really well (which is good, because the Prius behind us would never have been able to get out otherwise):
20200907_183720.jpg

A very interesting end to a good day in the woods. I was proud of my truck!

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I used my truck for what I bought it for, except today, I had a twist. A buddy of mine and I went for a hike - high winds were forecast later in the day, which did come in. We had no issues getting to the trail, but on the way back out, we were stopped by this:
20200907_181320.jpg

I think it had come down shortly before we got there. While we were assessing the scene and what to do, 4 more cars came along. I didn't have a chainsaw due to the high fire danger (it is VERY dry right now). Plan A was to stack up the branches and attempt to drive over the log in the road, but we came up with Plan B which was to use our handsaws to cut the log over the road and cut the hanging branches off the hanging tree and then use my tow strap to pull the log enough to drive under/past it. Fortunately, the tree was relatively easy to cut with a handsaw. While we were cutting, another tree top broke off in a gust, but it didn't land on the road.

Plan B worked really well (which is good, because the Prius behind us would never have been able to get out otherwise):
20200907_183720.jpg

A very interesting end to a good day in the woods. I was proud of my truck!
Wow that’s incredible! I stopped brining my chainsaw since it’s really dry here too with fire bans. Now I’m considering keeping a hand saw on the truck at least. Nice work!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that’s incredible! I stopped brining my chainsaw since it’s really dry here too with fire bans. Now I’m considering keeping a hand saw on the truck at least. Nice work!
We do a lot of trail maintenance so I always have a hand saw and loppers with me. They both came in REALLY handy yesterday..... Fortunately that downed log wasn't TOO large and it was pretty easy cutting. It is the largest log I think I've ever cut with a handsaw!

It turned out a LOT better than I thought it might.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the truck out on some mining roads and did the alpine loop. Hiked up to 13,500ft to check out some old mines as well. The truck did fantastic as always and continues to impress me as to what it can do.

7A54A2F0-8AB6-4E97-ACF3-33FBF31AD958.jpeg

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We do a lot of trail maintenance so I always have a hand saw and loppers with me. They both came in REALLY handy yesterday..... Fortunately that downed log wasn't TOO large and it was pretty easy cutting. It is the largest log I think I've ever cut with a handsaw!

It turned out a LOT better than I thought it might.
I think it turned out really well haha. That kinda tree size and hand tools is a daunting challenge. Milwaukee just came out with a little 8” hand chainsaw that is tempting to keep in the tool box now. Considering the only option in some places is to stay trapped in by trees.

Tiggger1531

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired USAF
I took the truck out on some mining roads and did the alpine loop. Hiked up to 13,500ft to check out some old mines as well. The truck did fantastic as always and continues to impress me as to what it can do.

7A54A2F0-8AB6-4E97-ACF3-33FBF31AD958.jpeg
I sure do miss living in Colorado. Loved going up in the mountains and exploring.

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Tried to find a new desk for my home office, but nope. Everyone is sold out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think it turned out really well haha. That kinda tree size and hand tools is a daunting challenge. Milwaukee just came out with a little 8” hand chainsaw that is tempting to keep in the tool box now. Considering the only option in some places is to stay trapped in by trees.
I was looking at this too the other day. It's nice and compact to even throw on the floor behind your seat. It's sold out everywhere in my area right now though.

Milwaukee Cordless chainsaws.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-2527-21/313505705

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like CPOMilwaukee has in stock with free shipping 7 day delivery @ $179

https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwau...MIzpzSiPXm6wIVVT2tBh1-nAwAEAQYBCABEgIWSvD_BwE
Darn you! :curse: That's a really good price but I have to many bills coming up and just had to pay my business quarterly taxes. Besides using it to take off roading I have no use for one around the house here in the desert so it can wait a bit. Thanks for the link though.;)

Edit: I just realized that there's no battery or charger with this one. Good now it's not so tempting. lol

What’s Included:
  • M12 FUEL HATCHET 6 in. Pruning Saw (Tool Only) - 2527-20
  • Oregon 6 in. Bar and Chain
  • Scabbard
  • Scrench
  • Batteries and Charger Sold Separately

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Darn you! :curse: That's a really good price but I have to many bills coming up and just had to pay my business quarterly taxes. Besides using it to take off roading I have no use for one around the house here in the desert so it can wait a bit. Thanks for the link though.;)

Edit: I just realized that there's no battery or charger with this one. Good now it's not so tempting. lol

What’s Included:
  • M12 FUEL HATCHET 6 in. Pruning Saw (Tool Only) - 2527-20
  • Oregon 6 in. Bar and Chain
  • Scabbard
  • Scrench
  • Batteries and Charger Sold Separately
Best laid plans...sorry, didn't read it that far.
Sponsored