Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hey Everyone,

New here, been creeping for a few days. Looks like an entertaining spot, and have gotten some ideas for what to do to my truck.

I was just wondering if anyone had any fun stories on what they bought for their rig that made their other unhappy. Me... well, I bought the whole damn truck. I brought up that I wanted one (have a 98 ranger that is beat to death, and I missed a solid truck in my life), and my dad wanted to buy my VW. She didn't say no... so I took it as "sounds like a great idea." Next day, put the plan in motion. Two days later, picked up a 2020 ranger xlt fx4. I was, lets say, in the dog house. Took her and her kids camping the next weekend, and that seemed to get me out of it. She is on board now. Told her the seat covers I bought were to keep the seats clean from the kids. She has not noticed the Eibach box sitting in the garage yet. Lets see if I can get that on without her noticing. Playing with fire on this one.

What have you bought or done with your truck that made your other mad? Or what are you hiding?

This thread reminds me of this for sale ad from a long time back..

4mKzs.jpg

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Shoot, buying the truck lol

We traded her Escape in so the Ranger is "hers" but she never wants to drive it, instead drives our '16 Honda Pilot Touring AWD because it is easier to shop in. She wants to commute the Ranger 25miles each way when she returns to the office but does not realize the MPG and comfort will be better in our Pilot anyway. I will let her figure that out.

Every time I do something minor to it I get "What did you do to my truck?" and "Why did you not ask me first?" to which I roll my eyes. Last one was switching the 3rd brake lights to LED. She knows I am going to do ditch lights and a level but I know I will get the same response when I do those too.

She complains about it being too small inside but she DID NOT want an F150/Tundra full size truck....

So yeah, just about everything about the truck but we needed it for towing and her Escape lease was up. I love the truck so I call this our custody battle for the truck.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
...She laughs when I take 3 hours to pick up some parsley...they only grow in the mountain... ?
@Msfitoy Ohhhh, I see. So , that's what they're calling those herbs these days. :bandit: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

@AzScorpion Dave understands...............

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Before my wife passed away in early 2018, four days before our 48th anniversary, we used shared banking accounts and always shared when one or the other made large purchases. She had nearly $15k in camera equipment and I had accessories for the Jeep and firearms for examples. We didn't hide anything from each other and discussed any major purchases before making them. We didn't need to hide anything from the other or worry that if one of us spent a large sum of money on something that the other would find out sooner or later. This worked for us but YMMV.
Nothing. Nothing I ever bought for my Ranger or my Mustang (sunk considerable coin on it) ever made her mad. We share our checking account and talk about our purchases first, if it's a good chunk of money. I don't ever have to beg or ask permission to buy something. I'm quite sure I've earned it. Now, rubbing her boobs or grabbing and smacking her a** when she's trying to cook is sometimes not a good idea. Well, in her mind anyway.
The wife was not in favor of buying a Ranger in the first place because of all the "wasted storage space," as she called the bed (comparing it with our 2014 Explorer). Still, since she does not drive, and I happily provide chauffer service wherever she wants to go, she told me to get whatever I wanted. As for mods such as the Ford Performance tune and leveling kit, etc., I tell her about my plans and the cost in advance, and she has no problem with it. Smaller stuff like aftermarket lighting, she could care less, and I don't even mention it. And as time went by, 2019 to the present, she has come to appreciate that we can jam more stuff in the cabin + bed than our former Explorer could carry inside. She even started remarking that the Ranger had a lot more power than the Explorer and could really blow by dangerous idiots and semis on the freeway. And just yesterday, she was riding high in the Ranger and making denigrating remarks about all the "short and puny" cars around us....
This is how we handle things.

I handle the books, but anything major, > $300, is discussed.

Listening to folks at work, apparently shared banking is pretty rare nowadays.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
We've had a deal since we got married. Anything over $100 was to be be discussed. Of course through the first years if we had a $100 we would have been filthy rich. I mean, it was pay check to pay check living for awhile. Even after 44 years that deal still stands. But at our age now it's not about what we need, it's about what we want. I've never seen a hearse followed by an armored car. :)

Welcome to the forum Matt.
We both had kinda rough childhoods, so a big part of why we got together decades ago was we felt we could trust each other. Early on we fell into a system similar to yours, though I don't remember a specific dollar value. But the circumstances were similar.

Also, at this point after more than a quarter century of being married, we're just really bad at hiding things from each other. Even hiding presents until a certain date (xmas, birthday) eventually started to feel awkward so we usually end up giving gifts when we find them instead. More likely we show the thing to the other person & they buy it themselves after getting just the right variant (or whatever). It just works for us & makes us happy, you know?

Last edited:

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Hey Everyone,

New here, been creeping for a few days. Looks like an entertaining spot, and have gotten some ideas for what to do to my truck.

I was just wondering if anyone had any fun stories on what they bought for their rig that made their other unhappy. Me... well, I bought the whole damn truck. I brought up that I wanted one (have a 98 ranger that is beat to death, and I missed a solid truck in my life), and my dad wanted to buy my VW. She didn't say no... so I took it as "sounds like a great idea." Next day, put the plan in motion. Two days later, picked up a 2020 ranger xlt fx4. I was, lets say, in the dog house. Took her and her kids camping the next weekend, and that seemed to get me out of it. She is on board now. Told her the seat covers I bought were to keep the seats clean from the kids. She has not noticed the Eibach box sitting in the garage yet. Lets see if I can get that on without her noticing. Playing with fire on this one.

What have you bought or done with your truck that made your other mad? Or what are you hiding?
Funny TRUE story...I have been around for many years. I've been thru a divorce many years ago. That divorce was rough on everyone. From that, I had to start over, new dishes, pots, pans, basic household items that I needed to start over.

I've loaned that "divorce kit" to many friends over the years with the only rule...that they return it when they are on their feet again.

Bottom line, it's available when you need it. PM me when you need it and be sure to return it when your done.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
We've had a deal since we got married. Anything over $100 was to be be discussed. Of course through the first years if we had a $100 we would have been filthy rich. I mean, it was pay check to pay check living for awhile. Even after 44 years that deal still stands. But at our age now it's not about what we need, it's about what we want. I've never seen a hearse followed by an armored car. :)

Welcome to the forum Matt.
No cost of living adjustment over the years?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi Matt,

Both Margie and I were trapped in long term first marriages. In both cases...there were lies...hidden things etc. We are honest with each other...there is no hiding packages etc. Everything is open on the table face up. This hiding things from a spouse is very common but Margie and I are open about things...If I order a non California water restrictor for our faucet in the kitchen as I refuse to submit to California "water restrictors", Margie knows before the package arrives. If she orders $100 in new color artist paints...she tells me or even better she has me order as I can usually beat the prices for this stuff.

When she is "hit upon" she tells me and same with me. We laugh at our age about this...

Hallmark of our marriage is Honesty....

Done preaching... Off to the flame proof bunker.

Best,
Phil
Same here. Better to just get it out in the open. Then brace myself! :shock:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Nothing on this truck but she didn't like the Gibson cat-back exhaust I put on my old Sport Trac.
It was awful friggen' loud though.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Not me but a friend (now passed away).

He had an older Ford truck that was way past its prime and was often giving him problems. Woke up one Saturday morning and told his wife he was going out to get her a birthday present. On the way he passed the Chevy dealer. There was a truck sitting on the lot in front that was just what he had been wanting. He went in to talk about it and ended up buying it. Drove it around a bit and then went home to show it to her.

Without the birthday present.

She was not amused...
Sponsored