What’s your truck inhaling? Best air filter shootout!

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I've mentioned this in another thread and this seems like a good place to do it again.

I had a K&N filter on a TJ Jeep Wrangler. It spent a lot of time exploring the NV desert. I can't explain how nasty pulverized dust is. Anyway, I pulled the filter once to check it. The dust layer behind the filter in the intake tube was obvious. The filter was properly oiled, greased and installed. As soon as I got home I tossed the K&N, cleaned the intake tube and installed a good quality OEM style paper filter. I never saw that layer of dust again.

I'll add that I spend a lot of time on BITOG. K&N filters seemed to be linked with higher levels of silicon in UOAs.

K&Ns would probably be fine on a street only vehicle but I would never use on on a vehicle that sees substantial off road use.

Of course, this is my opinion and YMMV.
Sponsored

bobafetske

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any benefit to the drop-in K&N filter? I have one but haven't put it in yet. I had one in my 2004 Ranger and was great, had no issues. Both with the same MBRP cat-back exhaust. No serious off-roading here. I also live in Philadelphia so dust is less of an issue. Still worth using or just keep with the OEM?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I had a 2001 Honda Civic with a K&N air filter from after 10k miles, made it to 317k miles until the suspension was crumbling apart but the engine was perfect. Of course that was a street only vehicle but still.

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
Been looking for the correct Wix part number for the air filter. It looks like the Wix WA10909 is the correct fit, but it's out of stock everywhere (O'Reilly's, Rock Auto, etc). Does anyone know of anywhere that has the Wix filter in stock?
NAPA carries WIX products. Contact your local NAPA store.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

It appears that Cabin filters are entering the contentious realm as Crankcase catch cans... I'll stick with OEM.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Air filters and cabin filters are more or less critical dependent upon where you live and drive.

Where I live it is actually hard to find a road without pavement or a place to drive off road.
Owners who live where there is an actual use for 4WD and those who actually venture off into the dirt and gravel have a much greater need to keep all filters clean and quality.

Clean air filters may well do more to improve PCV performance than a catchcan
Don't make your engine try to "breathe through a soda straw" or a clogged filter.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
After the raging fires in CA before I moved I pulled the Cabin filter out and it was grim. From now on I’m replacing it every year. Fancy Charcoal or not as long as it’s fresh I don’t care, I know its helping.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Kinda make me wonder how I survived all those years with vehicles that didn't have cabin filters.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Kinda make me wonder how I survived all those years with vehicles that didn't have cabin filters.
Back when I was young we drove with the windows down. Not everyone had fancy-shmancy air conditioning in their car! Hell the house my parents bought only had gas heat and no AC!

....so, I got my oil changed at the Ford dealership in town and said what the heck, put me in a new engine air filter too (I was in a spendy mood) and asked them to show me the old one before they tossed it. Not terribly dirty but what surprised me was the little leaves that somehow found their way up there.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I am proud of my homemade CAI that Ford should approve of....Stock Air Box, K&N Filter and the new aFe Power Scoop. I'm probably going to install the Velossitech Ram Air Scoop soon.
Sponsored