Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Insert comment about not being able to let go of the past and things that were bad for you, but deep down you loved them even though they were so bad for you.... LOL (yes it repeats)

Rhonda....
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
This thing tows so well.

It towed this up and down the mountains of eastern western NC effortlessly.

IMG_1993.jpeg

And it also towed this up and down the mountains of eastern western NC effortlessly.

IMG_1994.jpeg

60 mph up the mountain with no sweat.

It could have gone faster but I kept it civil.

Dang I like this truck. :sunglasses:
Same for me, didn't even feel it even though it had far too much tongue weight (front wheels lost traction when backing down a steep driveway).

These Rangers are pretty awesome! =)

tojo-trailered.jpg

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
rented a uhaul utility trailer, to pickup up my lawn mower. (once a decade I splurge on a full service for the engine)I was thinking I would need a a new ball mount drop but the uhaul 5x9 tailer was just a tad nose high with a 2" drop.

I was slightly worried about brakes, but not overall and everything moved just fine in the pouring rain NH got on Saturday.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I can definitely agree. I just moved from Cali to Atlanta, and used the Ranger with an 8.5x20' trailer to move everything we owned across the country. I'm not particularly proud of how overloaded everything was, but at ~65mph average from LA to GA along I-40, averaging 8.3mpg with a total of just shy of 16k lbs total, I was so incredibly impressed with the Ranger. I would have loved to have some hindsight in total weight of our belongings, as well as being able to reload the trailer (the photo attached was before it was loaded and I added the strap on tow-mirrors), but it still was faster than the 2015 Chevy Spark (non-EV) that was in our small convoy as we went across the country (I heard from that driver multiple times that they couldn't keep up with me leading the pack). It handled all the mountains and hills fantastically, there was only one small stretch of I-40 going up into AZ that was a little slow while the Ranger struggled to put all the power down, but it was absolutely up to the task and crushed it from beginning to end. I wouldn't recommend that kind of overloading, nor would I do it again if I had the option, but this outperformed my '04 F-150 I had with a smaller trailer but likely similar load back in 2011.

1670260410768.png

IMG_20220903_220004.jpg

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
West out of Boone NC temporarily warped the rotors on the Edge and Rouge with nothing more of a weeks luggage.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
While I've been impressed with my Ranger's towing ability, I got to take it up elk hunting in the snow covered mountains of Wyoming. Some of the credit goes to my 33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the suspension mods that allowed them, but the Ranger felt nimble, smooth, sure footed, and down right invincible on the roughly 1' deep, snow covered, two track roads. It may not be the best 4x4 I've ever ridden in, but its the best 4x4 I've ever owned. Couple that with the ability to tow my 29.5' travel trailer and get 20+mpg city driving, and you can color me impressed. Oh and most importantly, it fits in my garage.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I can definitely agree. I just moved from Cali to Atlanta, and used the Ranger with an 8.5x20' trailer to move everything we owned across the country. I'm not particularly proud of how overloaded everything was, but at ~65mph average from LA to GA along I-40, averaging 8.3mpg with a total of just shy of 16k lbs total, I was so incredibly impressed with the Ranger. I would have loved to have some hindsight in total weight of our belongings, as well as being able to reload the trailer (the photo attached was before it was loaded and I added the strap on tow-mirrors), but it still was faster than the 2015 Chevy Spark (non-EV) that was in our small convoy as we went across the country (I heard from that driver multiple times that they couldn't keep up with me leading the pack). It handled all the mountains and hills fantastically, there was only one small stretch of I-40 going up into AZ that was a little slow while the Ranger struggled to put all the power down, but it was absolutely up to the task and crushed it from beginning to end. I wouldn't recommend that kind of overloading, nor would I do it again if I had the option, but this outperformed my '04 F-150 I had with a smaller trailer but likely similar load back in 2011.

1670260410768.png

IMG_20220903_220004.jpg
Hold on just a minute. :stop:

?Wasn't it you who was giving me a hard time not to long ago about carrying a VP gas jug that wasn't properly rated? I guess towing an overloaded trailer cross country is much safer??

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase

?Wasn't it you who was giving me a hard time not to long ago about carrying a VP gas jug that wasn't properly rated? I guess towing an overloaded trailer cross country is much safer??
Probably! There's also a difference between 5 gallons of improperly stored flammable/explosive material (and saying it's fine to do over and over) and extra weight on the highway lol.

But you see, I'm also not at all advocating for doing what I did, and wouldn't do it again. I would've done it differently (and not been overloaded) if I had known before we got on the road rather than 4 hours from home.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
While I've been impressed with my Ranger's towing ability, I got to take it up elk hunting in the snow covered mountains of Wyoming. Some of the credit goes to my 33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the suspension mods that allowed them, but the Ranger felt nimble, smooth, sure footed, and down right invincible on the roughly 1' deep, snow covered, two track roads. It may not be the best 4x4 I've ever ridden in, but its the best 4x4 I've ever owned. Couple that with the ability to tow my 29.5' travel trailer and get 20+mpg city driving, and you can color me impressed. Oh and most importantly, it fits in my garage.
And just when you thought it couldn't get any better..... it's BLUE!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

At 65 mph no less!

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
This thing tows so well.

It towed this up and down the mountains of eastern western NC effortlessly.

IMG_1993.jpeg

And it also towed this up and down the mountains of eastern western NC effortlessly.

IMG_1994.jpeg

60 mph up the mountain with no sweat.

It could have gone faster but I kept it civil.

Dang I like this truck. :sunglasses:
do you have the trailer towing package and if so what's included with that package

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
do you have the trailer towing package and if so what's included with that package
I do.

To add the tow package to a truck that didn't come with it, you need the hitch and the wiring connector.

HERE is a thread that details adding the tow package.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Wow!! The only thing you didn't overload was the front axle. 1800 over on the REAR GAWR, 2000 over on the GVWR for the truck, and 3300 over on the GCVWR. Nothing like going for the Grand Slam. Glad you made it safe. Your lucky you didn't have something happen/fail on the way. Glad to see you did have a good WDH on the rig.
Sponsored