jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Thank you jflogerzi.
I appreciate the advice. Yes, sport mode is awesome and I've messed around with tow mode too and can appreciate what that mode does as well. I'm ok with being locked into premium fuel, it's all I've ever put in my vehicles. I put premium in my lawnmower even. Call me crazy but it's just what I do. I don't tow anything, I didn't get the tow package. I need a truck because sometimes I have to deliver bulky items to the job site and I'm also a musician (starving artist variety) so I need to haul large cases and what not but it's never anything too heavy. Or the occasional load of mulch for the wife or an appliance here and there...we've always had a truck for when we need it, and this is an awesome one for sure. I'm just curious about what I might be missing, that's all. If you don't think the tune makes much of a difference, that's cool. I'm kind of trying to see what everyone's opinion is and I appreciate all of them.
I don't want to jeopardize the longevity of my engine so if enough people encourage me not to get a tune I probably won't get one. I'm super happy with the stock performance. Just wondering how much more you get out of the tune.
And in honor of the original thread before I derailed it into this tuning nonsense, I'm going to order some Eibachs for the rear. Of that, you guys DO have me convinced I need to upgrade the suspension a little bit.
Thanks again,
C
if your okay with the premium rec and don't tow much the. Go for it. Don't hang around this place to much. They and we do a great job of making you spend money on things that are really not needed 🤣
Sponsored

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
The best thing I ever did was change out my Fx4 shocks on my 2019. It was a night and day difference going to the Eibach. They were so bad I couldn't even give them away for free on here. lol
I went Fox and it was the same, I also couldn't give them away and threw them in the garbage.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Chris,
Eibach rears is what I did as a start point… almost 2 years later and I’m still happy.. no other mods needed except a damper and hard tonneau cover.. oh yeah then I added.. nothing else… good to go!!!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
These are off my 2020 FX2 extended cab with only 17,000 miles. Truck only sees summer time duty. Half those miles have been pulling a 1,000 pound pop up camper. Replaced them with Bilstein 4600 series. After seeing what crap the rears are, I now want to do the fronts…

You could hear fluid in the driver side also

Crazy the price they charged us for that junk. I hated my ride quality so I swapped out for Bilstein 5100s, when I took the Fx4 shocks off the front they had oil leaking out of the tops
Had less than 9k on them!

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I bet it does. Do you understand how suspension works? A 3” spacer totally neuters your stock travel. You get what you pay for.
NOW you tell me! Live and learn. Alas, BDS did not even offer a 2.5 Coilover when I got my Lift / level kit, and I was not studied up enough to know the difference.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ordered and received the 4600's for the rear, not yet installed (next week project), although I only have 5,800 miles on the truck. I have noticed the bouncy/ sway side to side, more noted in a tight left-hand turn and driving a gravel road the front tends to wander some. I planned on doing the swap sooner and I put it off on the back burner, but this thread got me motivated to just get it done.
Do the rears first then see if the fronts are needed (this early) in ownership.
Plan on keeping stock lift, and only occasional (rare) towing, so just to get a better ride quality.
I did find the 4600's were hard to find, everybody is out of stock or back-order.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Why the 4600 vs 5100s? Is there any difference in damping profiles between the 2?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Why the 4600 vs 5100s? Is there any difference in damping profiles between the 2?
To my understanding the damping profiles will be the same or very similar. The 5100 will be able to take advantage of some lift(1-2 inches usually).

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I saw a video where they said the 4600 is a stock replacement but better quality. The 5100 can handle an inch of lift but is valving is slightly different but hardly noticeable. The 5100 is firmer since most people that lift a vehicle add larger, heavier tires so the slightly more firm valving helps handle the extra weight the shock is now controlling.
Sponsored