First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have a 2019 XLT Sport 2WD that will visit the dealer for a possible battery replacement today. Been noticing a change in tone of all my proximity warnings (from soft to very sharp) and now get this warning on my screen every time I get in the truck (daily driver, 50+ miles a day). Even for Phoenix you'd think a battery would last a bit longer...

IMG_20210127_055119885.jpg
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chris - similar thing happened with my truck within six months. Other posters have mentioned this as well. Not “common“ but not unheard of. Sometimes, you end up with a bad battery. Ford replaced it no problem. Just remind your service advisor that they have to identify the battery as “new” in your truck’s system after replacement. They neglected to do this with mine and my Battery Management System wasn’t working properly and required a return visit.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I only got 20 months out of mine & it was on backorder at the time so I had to wait a week.
There can be no waiting...it appears things are becoming terminal... ;)

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
That screen and the sharper beeps did happen to me once a few weeks ago during morning startup. At the time I just thought it was a software update since the truck is in my wifi enable garage. It hasn't happen since.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
As a final update...it was indeed the battery. I bought the truck in September of '19, and that's all it lasted ?
My service advisor (Justin Reed at Peoria Ford--I highly recommend him) told me to brace myself for when it happened out of warranty because these are a special battery we have that is about $300-ish to purchase.
Of course it would be....
Oh, and a low battery does apparently change your proximity warning tones. Something to consider if YOUR tones are changing.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
That's a disappointing surprise. Had thought AGM batteries typically had a longer life span than lead/acid ones.

Wonder if something simple like changing the voltage regulator would work to keep from boiling a conventional battery dry.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
That's a disappointing surprise. Had thought AGM batteries typically had a longer life span than lead/acid ones.

Wonder if something simple like changing the voltage regulator would work to keep from boiling a conventional battery dry.
I have no clue.
I didn't even know I HAD an "AGM" battery (and still don't know the difference, but I'm about to google it to see).
That said, in all the vehicles I've had here in Phoenix, none have lasted much past two years at best. They die quickly here.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I found a lot of good info here about our trucks battery systems before mine was delivered. And most of it wasn't good. So, with the suggestion of a member here I bought a battery maintainer, and put my truck on life support if I'm not going to be driving it for a week, or more. I'm hoping that will keep the battery at a good charge. That way it won't go weak, and have to be recharged by the alternator so many times. That just isn't good for a car battery.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As a final update...it was indeed the battery. I bought the truck in September of '19, and that's all it lasted ?
My service advisor (Justin Reed at Peoria Ford--I highly recommend him) told me to brace myself for when it happened out of warranty because these are a special battery we have that is about $300-ish to purchase.
Oh, and a low battery does apparently change your proximity warning tones. Something to consider if YOUR tones are changing.
Glad they took care of it for you Chris. I bought mine from Peoria Ford and will have to talk to Justin next time they do my free oil change. I do use a battery maintainer to keep it juiced up so maybe I'll keep it off before going in. This way they can see if there is a problem with mine before the warranty is up.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
My truck's a daily driver (50+ miles a day), so it only sits during the weekend, and if we HAVE to go somewhere we normally take the truck then, too. Maybe the battery was just bad. I don't know. But I do know the battery should have lasted longer than it did even with the AZ heat.
Because I said so!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My truck's a daily driver (50+ miles a day), so it only sits during the weekend, and if we HAVE to go somewhere we normally take the truck then, too. Maybe the battery was just bad. I don't know. But I do know the battery should have lasted longer than it did even with the AZ heat.
Because I said so!
I only got about 30 months out of the battery in my Tacoma, this heat is brutal on batteries out here. Plus remember that this past summer was the hottest on record with 50+ days over 110 which didn't help.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I only got about 30 months out of the battery in my Tacoma, this heat is brutal on batteries out here. Plus remember that this past summer was the hottest on record with 50+ days over 110 which didn't help.
Yeah, I know it was bad. But dang! I've only HAD the truck not even a year and a half!
And it's not like I'm running megawatts of light off it like some folks we know of...
Just sayin'
;)

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Thanks for the update. I'll keep it in mind. You posted that your service manager said it was a "special" battery. I wonder if any aftermarket manufacturers have that on their radar.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Thanks for the update. I'll keep it in mind. You posted that your service manager said it was a "special" battery. I wonder if any aftermarket manufacturers have that on their radar.
It's an "AGM" battery...which I guess makes it "special" to me in my ignorance of such things. He said we can buy them at Autozone, etc., so they're not really that special. Just was to me because I didn't know any better at the time.
Sponsored