NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Been living in the desert for over 20 years with all kinds of trucks and cars. In my experience, batteries last 18 to 24 months, sometimes less. In your garage during summer it gets super hot. Had great success with O’Reilly Auto Parts, they give good warranties and prorated credit on long lasting batteries so often replacement is free or a few bucks. Called to check availability, their price is 199 with a three year warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
David, you should find this to work good for you. By the morning it should be at full charge but if you're not using your truck just leave it connected. Most of my jobs are close by so I usually have a short commute and with the AC blasting 6-7 months here the battery never seems like it gets a full charge. I attached the pigtail to the battery so I can just quick connect/disconnect it.
I used the pigtail as well and the battery was fully charged this morning. Can't leave it permanently connected as I have to run an extension cord across my yard to plug it in right now. Gonna work on a solution to that when it warms up, also have the charger under the hood with the cord running near the serpentine belt so I can't remote start the truck with it plugged in, gotta come up with a solution for that as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
There are battery tenders that you leave connected under the hood and run the plug out like a diesel block heater.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
That's a disappointing surprise. Had thought AGM batteries typically had a longer life span than lead/acid ones.

Wonder if something simple like changing the voltage regulator would work to keep from boiling a conventional battery dry.
The $180 Suprr Start AGM battery from Oriely lasted 6 years in my Jeep Cherokee XJ in NorCal.. It worked great for running a fridge. I bought an exact replacement, sold on AGM..

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
In the Vegas desert I am use to car, truck, motorcycle batteries lasting two years. Today’s vehicles are also battery hogs with the computers and systems that depends on the power.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As a final update...it was indeed the battery. I bought the truck in September of '19, and that's all it lasted ?
My service advisor (Justin Reed at Peoria Ford--I highly recommend him) told me to brace myself for when it happened out of warranty because these are a special battery we have that is about $300-ish to purchase.
Of course it would be....
Oh, and a low battery does apparently change your proximity warning tones. Something to consider if YOUR tones are changing.
I have an appointment on Friday for my last free oil change. I spoke with Justin and told him about my battery and he said he'll check it out too. I've left it off the battery maintainer for the past 2 weeks so hopefully it's low enough and I get a new one too. ?

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have an appointment on Friday for my last free oil change. I spoke with Justin and told him about my battery and he said he'll check it out too. I've left it off the battery maintainer for the past 2 weeks so hopefully it's low enough and I get a new one too. ?
Did you tell him I recommended him? ;)

Old Red Replacement

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
H
5E7632FF-75E4-4F8E-8F42-9DCDAD594CA1.jpeg
ere is my story, I ordered replacement premium Odyessy battery,
it came with small defect in case, I put Por 15 paste patch on it and installed with no issues other than wiring harness and location is a PIA. Two weeks later after E-mail and pictures a second replacement battery came from Odyessy. The Ford Battery is on our Hurricane generator on trickle charger, the first one in truck, the 2nd one on shelf.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Last week I took my 2020 Nautilus in to the dealer for a battery check....It was bad and replaced under warranty...only just over a year and quarter old... Something is wrong with the batteries supplied to Ford...JMO.

Best,
Phil

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
As a final update...it was indeed the battery. I bought the truck in September of '19, and that's all it lasted ?
My service advisor (Justin Reed at Peoria Ford--I highly recommend him) told me to brace myself for when it happened out of warranty because these are a special battery we have that is about $300-ish to purchase.
Of course it would be....
Oh, and a low battery does apparently change your proximity warning tones. Something to consider if YOUR tones are changing.
Yeah I priced a better battery a few weeks ago; $200 from most parts suppliers so $300 from dealer sounds about right.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Is the battery covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty? Or is there a specific battery warranty for the original battery?

My auto start/stop hasn't worked in months, and for a couple weeks I've been getting the "System off to save battery" message on a regular basis.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Not sure regarding the desert environment, but all my car batteries in the ever changing Illinois climate have lasted at least 4 years or longer. Some were short drives, some long drives, cars are left outside 24/7, no battery tenders, and vehicles left a couple weeks without starting; started right up no issues. I know I commented on similar thread regarding this exact issue.

Ford's supplier of batteries is not up to par as they used to. AGM or regular, it won't matter as far as what you can put in the vehicle. The battery management system is programed to charge something like 80% at max. Normal or older charging systems just charged at 100%. The dialed down charging, along with the crappy made batteries equal issues.

Some here have disconnected the battery management plug as a simple ASS disconnect, have reported no issues with their batteries going bad..as far as I've read so far. Could be because the batteries are charging fully all the time?? IDK.

Others here were advised by service managers, techs, etc. that many of the "pre-built" Rangers were sitting in lots with batteries for months before being delivered to dealers and I guess deteriorated enough or the dealers never checked the load on them before delivery to customers.

My personal experience of late is that I replaced an almost five year old stock OEM battery with a Die Hard Gold (3 year warranty). The only decent warranty replacement for this size car. All others only warrantied up to two years at most. Die Hard Gold were originally warrantied for 4 or five years, but the supplier/manufacturer/quality/whatever has dropped since my last battery purchase, about 5 years ago.

I just was always taught to always get a bigger Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) battery than what comes OEM. Winters here suck, and a battery that has more cranking amps is always welcome.

Just my long winded 2 cents ;)

EDIT: Only battery that gets a trickle charge, is my motorcycle battery, which sits for 4-5 months a year. Those also have AGM (Glass) batteries available, but most old schoolers like me can get just as good results with the cheaper sealed lead batteries. :like:

EDIT 2: I do believe I read somewhere here that FORSCAN can change the charging parameters from the 80% to whatever you would like. I do believe some here have changed it to 100% without any issues. These would be individuals who want to keep the BMS "on" for the ASS system to work.

Last edited:

ronranger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT sport 4x4
Occupation
adventure
Is the battery covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty? Or is there a specific battery warranty for the original battery?

My auto start/stop hasn't worked in months, and for a couple weeks I've been getting the "System off to save battery" message on a regular basis.
I have that same issue with the start/stop, it started on the 26 of Feb. In the smartphone fordpass app they had a message that they had stopped the tss,and the door lock to save the battery, and when the engine was started all would work, well the door lock still works but the tss don't, I went to the dealer to get oil changed and had them check the battery, it was good " they said". could not leave the truck at that time for them to check the tss system. Hope this gives some more insight into this issue. If I find out more I will Post

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4