First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PX3 Wildtrak 2lt bi-turbo
Occupation
Jack of ALL trades
Playing around with the Fordpass app I saw the oil life indicator showing 29%, went to the truck and it showed the same. Truck was serviced 3 months back (got oil/filter change at the dealers - 30k service).

I assume this is being calculated somehow by my driving style (I don't thrash it), is this reason for concern or can I just reset this somehow and wait for the next service to have oil changed?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
did the oil life get reset to 100% after the most recent change / service? I would trust my eyes and the rub between my fingers oil test over the computers numbers. I would say check the oil, if it looks and feels clean not dark etc. it is likely that the dealer service person just forgot to reset the oil life. if the oil looks rough, dark or has any gritty overly gooey feel to it then the computer is correct, change it soon.

OP
OP

BiTurbo_Bro

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jack of ALL trades
did the oil life get reset to 100% after the most recent change / service? I would trust my eyes and the rub between my fingers oil test over the computers numbers. I would say check the oil, if it looks and feels clean not dark etc. it is likely that the dealer service person just forgot to reset the oil life. if the oil looks rough, dark or has any gritty overly gooey feel to it then the computer is correct, change it soon.
When I got it back from the service I checked it in the cluster and it showed 100% and never checked it again until I played with the Fordpass app. I will pull the dipstick and check the consistency when I get off from work.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
How many miles have you driven since the oil change?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
If uncertain about the oil life monitor, the owner's manual has you covered,

If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 mi (8,000 km) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between oil change intervals

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
the oil monitor has a timer, you can almost set your calendar to it. it ticks down 12 months.
My focus was literally on the anniversary day for the oil change when it went off
The rest of the oil is monitored with other parameters, such as idle time, engine temps and driving terrain etc.
Not sure if we have an optical sensor that detects dirty oil, but its a possibility.
The Mercedes uses a probe that measures electrical resistance between the gap to calculate the oils viscosity . I was curious if Ford used a similar method .

OP
OP

BiTurbo_Bro

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jack of ALL trades
How many miles have you driven since the oil change?
barely did 3k, so the oil should not be that broken down yet, no offroad and/or towing, only in city with A/C.

OP
OP

BiTurbo_Bro

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jack of ALL trades
will it be worthwhile to call the dealers and ask them about the lifespan and/or get it replaced or just reset it on the cluster? it's only got 18k km on the odo, but according to the service schedule I needed to do the 30k service, maybe that threw the calculation off as well.
Sponsored