Very Short Battery Life?

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I just remember from my time in AZ that the weather was very hard on batteries and many of my neighbors bought batteries through Costco, so they would have no hassle returns of the batteries. I remember seeing one return line up, that three different people in it, were returning batteries.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just remember from my time in AZ that the weather was very hard on batteries and many of my neighbors bought batteries through Costco, so they would have no hassle returns of the batteries. I remember seeing one return line up, that three different people in it, were returning batteries.
That's where I bought my battery for my Tacoma. What's nice is that they don't pro rate it so if your battery dies in month 35 they just give you a new one for free. Unfortunately they they don't carry the AGM batteries there.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
That's where I bought my battery for my Tacoma. What's nice is that they don't pro rate it so if your battery dies in month 35 they just give you a new one for free. Unfortunately they they don't carry the AGM batteries there.
I use AGM batteries for my trolling motor and for my underwater camera, but I have never purchased one for a vehicle. They are a superior battery, so it makes sense. Regular batteries last here for years as long as you don’t let them get too low in the cold.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I have a Monday morning appointment at Ford to have mine checked out. As previously posted I had the touchscreen message at morning startup and dismissed it as a software update. That was a few weeks ago. My auto start/stop hasn't worked for a while either. I went for a 250 mile ride to the snow and back yesterday. When I returned I put it on the Optimate charger to see how it looked. It came back yellow and green.
I've had the truck for almost 14 months. It's driven most days and seldom short trips. It's parked in an insulated garage. I have the Ford TBC installed at the dealer as well as a Snugtop cap installed by that dealer.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
The dealer just called me back and said the battery checked out fine. I asked him why the auto start/stop hasn't been working for a few weeks. He said the battery was low. I asked him why was a good battery low if I drive it almost everyday and not short trips. I told him that something wasn't right. Either the battery was bad or the truck wasn't charging the battery. He had to speak to his shop foreman. He came back and said the shop foremen told him to change the battery because he believes it wasn't holding a charge. Apparently their 45 minute battery check out apparatus didn't confirm that but I'm getting a new battery. I've had the truck for 14 months.
The good news was that it didn't strand me on the side of the road. In the future I'll be using the auto start/stop feature as my canary in a coal mine battery life verification.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Hey Chris - similar thing happened with my truck within six months. Other posters have mentioned this as well. Not “common“ but not unheard of. Sometimes, you end up with a bad battery. Ford replaced it no problem. Just remind your service advisor that they have to identify the battery as “new” in your truck’s system after replacement. They neglected to do this with mine and my Battery Management System wasn’t working properly and required a return visit.

Good luck!
So I was curious about your point of identifying the battery as new in the truck. so i looked at the online owners manual and it doesn't mention this. here is the "procedure" i am wondering if they unhooked the battery management cable and forgot to re-connect it on yours. it would be pretty piss poor customer service to require a dealer visit just to replace a battery.

Remove and Reinstall the Battery
To disconnect or remove the battery, do the following:
  1. Apply the parking brake and switch the ignition off.
  1. Switch all electrical equipment off, for example lights and radio.
  1. Wait a minimum of two minutes before disconnecting the battery.
Note: The engine management system has a power hold function and remains powered for a period after you switch the ignition off. This is to allow diagnostic and adaptive tables to be stored. Disconnecting the battery without waiting can cause damage not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
  1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable terminal first.
  1. Disconnect the positive (+) battery cable terminal last.
  1. Remove the battery securing clamp.
  1. Remove the battery.
  1. Install in the reverse order.
Note: Before reconnecting the battery, make sure the ignition remains switched off.
Note: If you only disconnect the negative battery cable terminal, make sure it is isolated or placed away from the battery terminal to avoid un-intended connection or arcing.
Note: Make sure the battery cable terminals are fully tightened.
Note: If you disconnect or replace the battery, you must reset the clock and the pre-set radio stations once the battery is reconnected.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So I was curious about your point of identifying the battery as new in the truck. so i looked at the online owners manual and it doesn't mention this. here is the "procedure" i am wondering if they unhooked the battery management cable and forgot to re-connect it on yours. it would be pretty piss poor customer service to require a dealer visit just to replace a battery.

Remove and Reinstall the Battery
To disconnect or remove the battery, do the following:
  1. Apply the parking brake and switch the ignition off.
  2. Switch all electrical equipment off, for example lights and radio.
  3. Wait a minimum of two minutes before disconnecting the battery.
Note: The engine management system has a power hold function and remains powered for a period after you switch the ignition off. This is to allow diagnostic and adaptive tables to be stored. Disconnecting the battery without waiting can cause damage not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
  1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable terminal first.
  2. Disconnect the positive (+) battery cable terminal last.
  3. Remove the battery securing clamp.
  4. Remove the battery.
  5. Install in the reverse order.
Note: Before reconnecting the battery, make sure the ignition remains switched off.
Note: If you only disconnect the negative battery cable terminal, make sure it is isolated or placed away from the battery terminal to avoid un-intended connection or arcing.
Note: Make sure the battery cable terminals are fully tightened.
Note: If you disconnect or replace the battery, you must reset the clock and the pre-set radio stations once the battery is reconnected.
Hi Jay,

I’m pretty sure I read about the “new” battery designation thing here in the ranger5g forums. When I went to the service dealer and told my service advisor about the issue, he wasn’t aware of the reset. When he called me 20 mins later and told me all was good, I didn’t ask any questions. Maybe it was that BMS terminal but I guess I’ll never know. That would really suck if I had to drive out of my way.

I’m lucky when it comes to my service dealer. Here in Toronto, it’s only 5 blocks away. It takes longer to wait for their shuttle in the lounge than it does to walk home. So, no biggie if I need to visit the dealer. Same thing at the cottage - small town, so everything is only 10 mins away.

DFisher

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I bought my truck in August of last year. Been getting these messages for months. I just assumed it was due to my massive 2.5 mile commute not giving enough time to charge the battery. But I've driven hours and 5-10 minutes after turning off the truck I get the Ford Pass notification things were disabled to save the battery.

After reading all this, it sounds like I need to make an appointment with Ford to replace the battery. Maybe I can get my first oil change done at the same time.

- Doug

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I bought my truck in August of last year. Been getting these messages for months. I just assumed it was due to my massive 2.5 mile commute not giving enough time to charge the battery. But I've driven hours and 5-10 minutes after turning off the truck I get the Ford Pass notification things were disabled to save the battery.

After reading all this, it sounds like I need to make an appointment with Ford to replace the battery. Maybe I can get my first oil change done at the same time.

- Doug
Doug, You should look into getting a battery maintainer. Seeing as you have a short commute your battery never gets fully charged. I have the same problem and used my Ford Pass points to buy one but you can also get the exact one on Amazon a little cheaper. Since buying this I haven't had any issues and the battery is always fully charged now.

https://accessories.ford.com/ford-performance-5-0-smart-battery-charger-maintainer.html#2019/Ranger

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD44RQ...olid=23F2DD1VHYN09&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
My 2019 I bought in April 2020 “covid deal” lol has always randomly not had the auto stop start not work and I’m fine with it. But I know it’s the battery.

aftermarket batteries ha e agm batteries as well I will be swapping for optima when mine goes.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My battery is on its last leg too. I am ready to take it in but I’m hanging on to my 4x4 for the moment thanks to the crappy weather here in MO this week. So I just keep my jump start pack with me and I’ve only had to use it a couple times so far.

I’m going to beg the dealer to ditch the (apparently) garbage AGM battery and put a normal one back in it...not really sure if they’re allowed to but it’s worth a shot. That one will last me 6-8 years just like Motorcraft batteries always have. I just changed my ‘14 Escape’s original battery last year, and it sat dead in a salvage yard for who-knows-how-long.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Doug, You should look into getting a battery maintainer. Seeing as you have a short commute your battery never gets fully charged. I have the same problem and used my Ford Pass points to buy one but you can also get the exact one on Amazon a little cheaper. Since buying this I haven't had any issues and the battery is always fully charged now.

https://accessories.ford.com/ford-performance-5-0-smart-battery-charger-maintainer.html#2019/Ranger

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD44RQ...olid=23F2DD1VHYN09&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Dave, I need to thank you for the same tip. Knowing mine would be setting for a month I picked up a smaller .75 amp Battery Tender brand maintainer. Hooked 'er up, and when I got home she fired right up. I did get the Ford Pass notification that some of the stuff (can't remember the exact message) was shutting down to save the battery.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’ve had my truck since feb ‘19 the battery system like to short charge to a target voltage of 12. In forscan you can bump that to 13.6. Which I did and it seemed to help it stay charged in my cold climate. I think it the alternator targets 12v and it’s 0 degrees outside, as soon as that battery cools off it’s toast. I’m not sure how that would affect hot climates, just that I’ve had agm batteries in other things without fancy management systems that lasted 10 years.

Also never buy battery from ford if they are charging 300$. Agm from interstate and optima are less than that, you can get a Duracell agm at sams club for less than 200 with a good warranty.

My wife’s edge has a platinum p1 agm(diehard) which is a size too small for her car. It was bought new In 2010 I believe, and it started good yesterday at 10f after sitting for almost a week.

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX

Picked up one of these at the dealer today with my Pass points, have it plugged in overnight and will check on it in the morning. I only drive it one day a week due to working from home so it doesn't really get a good charge. May also look into upping the target voltage in Forscan, gotta research that one.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Picked up one of these at the dealer today with my Pass points, have it plugged in overnight and will check on it in the morning. I only drive it one day a week due to working from home so it doesn't really get a good charge. May also look into upping the target voltage in Forscan, gotta research that one.
David, you should find this to work good for you. By the morning it should be at full charge but if you're not using your truck just leave it connected. Most of my jobs are close by so I usually have a short commute and with the AC blasting 6-7 months here the battery never seems like it gets a full charge. I attached the pigtail to the battery so I can just quick connect/disconnect it.
Sponsored