First Name
MARC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Vehicle Showcase
For my two cents, I don't mind the new Ranger getting a bit bigger and/or heavier, as they will still be way smaller and lighter than what the 150s are and will be. So the Ranger will still be the more practical option as far as parking, garages, etc. are concerned. As for appearance, we cannot see much underneath all the camouflage, but I happen to like the "mini-150" outline. But the really important questions are, what will Ford put in the cab, under the hood, and underneath? Is it getting bigger so that they can stuff a 2.7 in there (maybe even a "power-boosted" one)? Are we going to have upgraded technology (including, especially, music systems) and modernized design inside? Is the stock ride quality going to improve as well? Will there be a Tremor version? Anyway, this is pretty exciting, and I am definitely going to wait until these come out before buying another vehicle!

Advertisement

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe this will be an F-100 and the Ranger will look more like the Bronco, or just become a truck version of the Bronco.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Project Manager
Meh - Not impressed.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Why is anyone surprised that the front is getting bigger? They needed more room to fit an unnecessarily large engine for the US market. We'll need to see more to know whether the pursuit of bigger has screwed up the ranger for those who didn't want bigger.

I'd still rather see a fit-for-purpose I6 than a V6 with big numbers.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Vehicle Showcase

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
From what I see, they have raised the rear of the cabin to square it off compared to 5g ranger. Also squared off the front fenders in a bid to reduce frontal visibility, Raised & flattened the front grill and hood line plus beefed up the side mirrors. Gone are the wheel arch cladding and replaced with a body crease. A lot of effort to artificially make this thing look bigger than it needs to be for it's segment.

Rumor from somebody working in the Michigan plant is that Ranger is going to have a number of bed length configurations possibly including an extended bed (source: Bronco forum user)

Apparently this answers the question that nobody asked: "Can you make the Ranger look more like an F150 so it can go head to head with the old-model RAM's?".

Making Ranger look drastically larger with pseudo macho-face will only work if the Maverick picks up all of the lower-market slack (which I doubt). My guess is that this will hit a weak spot with truck buyers as Ranger loses it's identity in a single generation of purely US design influence (which is very sad as 5g is a GREAT generation for Ranger). Current F150 is larger than the F250 was ten years ago as-is. Bloating out the F150 to the point that Ranger needs to be the "next F150" serves no point and indicates that CAFE standards are dictating the design of this truck more than customers needs.

Prediction:
  • Maverick will sell to people who don't need a mid size, which is a small market but Ford capitalize on owning the segment outright.
  • Tacoma continues to dominate mid-size truck sales.
  • Colorado easily out-sells G6 Ranger as Ranger pretends to be a full-sized truck
  • F150 keeps slowly extending to be the size of an aircraft carrier, garages be damned.

Since i'm always wrong, what will actually happen is Ranger goes on a sales tear as every single truck buyer who can't deal with the Nimitz-class size of the F150 and has been waiting for a decade to replace their roached out rusty trucks finally has their fake-butch truck buying option and snaps up Rangers at a record pace! Tacoma still dominates the nimble truck segment.
I'm one of those ones that will likely go down to the Maverick (if it's done well), especially based on what I'm seeing and hearing regarding this next gen Ranger. The current gen Ranger is already pretty big comparatively. And it looks and sounds like they're going to be creeping bigger same as they've done with all their trucks over the years. At this rate, in a few generations we'll need another truck slotted below the Maverick. Add an inch here and there every year and people don't really notice until it's too late.

I'm sure this new one will sell just as well as the current one, bouncing around the middle of the pack. It won't knock Tacoma out of the top, I don't think anything will for a long long time. Especially with a supposed next gen Taco coming out about the same time (2023). The Taco will always be top, Ranger and GM will always go back and forth for 2nd, then Nissan, Jeep, and Honda.

We've been conditioned to think that bigger and more powerful is better. When in reality barely anyone uses all the capacity and power we have now, so why would we need more. The 2.3 is already more than enough power for non-psycho drivers. It's plenty fast, has plenty of power, can tow well, and gets good mileage. And if you did need/want more, there's a way to do that, step up to an F-150.

In my opinion...

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
From what I see, they have raised the rear of the cabin to square it off compared to 5g ranger. Also squared off the front fenders in a bid to reduce frontal visibility, Raised & flattened the front grill and hood line plus beefed up the side mirrors. Gone are the wheel arch cladding and replaced with a body crease. A lot of effort to artificially make this thing look bigger than it needs to be for it's segment.

Rumor from somebody working in the Michigan plant is that Ranger is going to have a number of bed length configurations possibly including an extended bed (source: Bronco forum user)...
I sure hope you are right about a number of bed configurations?

If so, I’ll be ordering a SuperCrew/longbed Lariat with the Tremor package. This would be the perfect base overland rig right from the factory.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of those ones that will likely go down to the Maverick (if it's done well), especially based on what I'm seeing and hearing regarding this next gen Ranger. The current gen Ranger is already pretty big comparatively. And it looks and sounds like they're going to be creeping bigger same as they've done with all their trucks over the years. At this rate, in a few generations we'll need another truck slotted below the Maverick. Add an inch here and there every year and people don't really notice until it's too late.

I'm sure this new one will sell just as well as the current one, bouncing around the middle of the pack. It won't knock Tacoma out of the top, I don't think anything will for a long long time. Especially with a supposed next gen Taco coming out about the same time (2023). The Taco will always be top, Ranger and GM will always go back and forth for 2nd, then Nissan, Jeep, and Honda.

We've been conditioned to think that bigger and more powerful is better. When in reality barely anyone uses all the capacity and power we have now, so why would we need more. The 2.3 is already more than enough power for non-psycho drivers. It's plenty fast, has plenty of power, can tow well, and gets good mileage. And if you did need/want more, there's a way to do that, step up to an F-150.

In my opinion...
I guess that makes me a "psycho driver"! Kind of has a nice ring to it....

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Why is anyone surprised that the front is getting bigger? They needed more room to fit an unnecessarily large engine for the US market. We'll need to see more to know whether the pursuit of bigger has screwed up the ranger for those who didn't want bigger.

I'd still rather see a fit-for-purpose I6 than a V6 with big numbers.
With the Maverick slotting in below the Ranger, I can see it growing an inch or two in a few dimensions to better split the difference between the F-150 and the Maverick. I would be all for that, but I’m also looking to down sizing from a ‘02 F-150. With more cab/bed configurations for the Ranger (and the future compact Maverick), Ford would definitely have a broader range of size options for all truck owners needs. Just my 2 cents.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
With the Maverick slotting in below the Ranger, I can see it growing an inch or two in a few dimensions to better split the difference between the F-150 and the Maverick. I would be all for that, but I’m also looking to down sizing from a ‘02 F-150. With more cab/bed configurations for the Ranger (and the future compact Maverick), Ford would definitely have a broader range of size options for all truck owners needs. Just my 2 cents.
I doubt the maverick will ever get a lot of configurations, which is why it's out of consideration for me. (I don't need 4 doors, and I want as much bed space as I can get in the footprint.) So if they pork up the ranger at the cost of stuff like visibility over the hood, there isn't really an option except "bigger is better".

LightingBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I sure hope you are right about a number of bed configurations?

If so, I’ll be ordering a SuperCrew/longbed Lariat with the Tremor package. This would be the perfect base overland rig right from the factory.
Just one point: It took Ranger until it's mid-model refresh (half way between generations) to get the different packages that are available now and keep pushing the sales needle. I would not expect the 2023 Ranger to launch with many package options. However, bed configurations should mostly be baked in from the get-go as they will have the production line capable of it from Job #1.

Remember when Ranger launched in 2019 the only packages offered were Sport Appearance (which is just some painted trim) and Chrome package including FX4. All very mainstay packages that persist throughout the life of the model. Black pack, sport, FX2 and Tremor are all trickled into the lineup to keep giving people options and stimulate sales.

A guess would be a Tremor-type package at MY25 or MY26. This, of course, depends on if/when they have the Ranger Raptor as that would probably prevent any sort of quasi-offroad package (Tremor) from hitting the market on the 6g.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Just one point: It took Ranger until it's mid-model refresh (half way between generations) to get the different packages that are available now and keep pushing the sales needle. I would not expect the 2023 Ranger to launch with many package options. However, bed configurations should mostly be baked in from the get-go as they will have the production line capable of it from Job #1.

Remember when Ranger launched in 2019 the only packages offered were Sport Appearance (which is just some painted trim) and Chrome package including FX4. All very mainstay packages that persist throughout the life of the model. Black pack, sport, FX2 and Tremor are all trickled into the lineup to keep giving people options and stimulate sales.

A guess would be a Tremor-type package at MY25 or MY26. This, of course, depends on if/when they have the Ranger Raptor as that would probably prevent any sort of quasi-offroad package (Tremor) from hitting the market on the 6g.
You have a very good point about how the Ranger was launched in a piecemeal approach to the NA market. Part of that strategy I believe is to keep it somewhat relevant considering this truck design was 5 years old before we even got it.

Hopefully Ford will roll out the next gen Ranger like they are approaching the Bronco launch with 6 trims and loads of options right out of the starting gate.

A sure fire way to tick off customers is by telling them (for example) a Tremor package isn’t available on an all new design when customers are use to it being an available option. These high optioned packages are big money makers for the manufacturers. They would be foolish not to capitalize on that, especially with the excitement of an all new design.

DHH

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hopefully it has bedside stake pockets as all pickups used to.
Yes. Please. Please. Please. :please:
I don't want a full-size truck, but still need to do truck duties.
Hopefully those headlights are placeholders cause that looks like barf.

I'm telling you it looks like the current Ranger and Tacoma are the last trucks to look like trucks. Everything else wants to be some stupid hybrid between a truck and a European sports car.
I'm the complete opposite. Current one looks like a car grill to me. At the risk of being taken outside and boot-fuc**d, I'm not a fan of the current grill. I'd much prefer something boxier.

...and put me down for psycho-driver also. Don't need it, but want it. Bring on the 2.7!

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

You have a very good point about how the Ranger was launched in a piecemeal approach to the NA market. Part of that strategy I believe is to keep it somewhat relevant considering this truck design was 5 years old before we even got it.

Hopefully Ford will roll out the next gen Ranger like they are approaching the Bronco launch with 6 trims and loads of options right out of the starting gate.

A sure fire way to tick off customers is by telling them (for example) a Tremor package isn’t available on an all new design when customers are use to it being an available option. These high optioned packages are big money makers for the manufacturers. They would be foolish not to capitalize on that, especially with the excitement of an all new design.
I think the reason the 5g came out with so little at the beginning, and added as the years have gone on, was because it was essentially a rush place holder generation for North America with the intent of getting something fresh and new in a few years. Ford realized they screwed up taking it away in the first place, and needed to get back into the game quickly. So they just American-ized an existing generation to get their foot in the door before it fully closed on them.

I think the fact that the Tremor package is now across the whole truck lineup (Ranger, F-150, and Superduty) means it'll be around for awhile. And that it was a full Ford Trucks decision, not just a Ranger one. Plus the new F-150 is coming out of the gate in it's first year with a Tremor package, and that also has a Raptor trim. I would agree that having an FX4, Tremor, and Raptor trims/packages seems to saturate the off-road options though in my opinion.

I think they added some different options to it afterwards once they saw that it was actually selling pretty good. Moved up to 2nd place in only a couple years of existence. So might as well put some money into it to get more out.

Also, I'd hope they roll it out better than the Bronco launch because that has been wrought with issues and delays for years. But we shouldn't get into that here.

Advertisement

Advertisement