Very first next-gen 2023 Ford Ranger prototype!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe this will be an F-100 and the Ranger will look more like the Bronco, or just become a truck version of the Bronco.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Meh - Not impressed.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Why is anyone surprised that the front is getting bigger? They needed more room to fit an unnecessarily large engine for the US market. We'll need to see more to know whether the pursuit of bigger has screwed up the ranger for those who didn't want bigger.

I'd still rather see a fit-for-purpose I6 than a V6 with big numbers.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
From what I see, they have raised the rear of the cabin to square it off compared to 5g ranger. Also squared off the front fenders in a bid to reduce frontal visibility, Raised & flattened the front grill and hood line plus beefed up the side mirrors. Gone are the wheel arch cladding and replaced with a body crease. A lot of effort to artificially make this thing look bigger than it needs to be for it's segment.

Rumor from somebody working in the Michigan plant is that Ranger is going to have a number of bed length configurations possibly including an extended bed (source: Bronco forum user)...
I sure hope you are right about a number of bed configurations?

If so, I’ll be ordering a SuperCrew/longbed Lariat with the Tremor package. This would be the perfect base overland rig right from the factory.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of those ones that will likely go down to the Maverick (if it's done well), especially based on what I'm seeing and hearing regarding this next gen Ranger. The current gen Ranger is already pretty big comparatively. And it looks and sounds like they're going to be creeping bigger same as they've done with all their trucks over the years. At this rate, in a few generations we'll need another truck slotted below the Maverick. Add an inch here and there every year and people don't really notice until it's too late.

I'm sure this new one will sell just as well as the current one, bouncing around the middle of the pack. It won't knock Tacoma out of the top, I don't think anything will for a long long time. Especially with a supposed next gen Taco coming out about the same time (2023). The Taco will always be top, Ranger and GM will always go back and forth for 2nd, then Nissan, Jeep, and Honda.

We've been conditioned to think that bigger and more powerful is better. When in reality barely anyone uses all the capacity and power we have now, so why would we need more. The 2.3 is already more than enough power for non-psycho drivers. It's plenty fast, has plenty of power, can tow well, and gets good mileage. And if you did need/want more, there's a way to do that, step up to an F-150.

In my opinion...
I guess that makes me a "psycho driver"! Kind of has a nice ring to it....

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Why is anyone surprised that the front is getting bigger? They needed more room to fit an unnecessarily large engine for the US market. We'll need to see more to know whether the pursuit of bigger has screwed up the ranger for those who didn't want bigger.

I'd still rather see a fit-for-purpose I6 than a V6 with big numbers.
With the Maverick slotting in below the Ranger, I can see it growing an inch or two in a few dimensions to better split the difference between the F-150 and the Maverick. I would be all for that, but I’m also looking to down sizing from a ‘02 F-150. With more cab/bed configurations for the Ranger (and the future compact Maverick), Ford would definitely have a broader range of size options for all truck owners needs. Just my 2 cents.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
With the Maverick slotting in below the Ranger, I can see it growing an inch or two in a few dimensions to better split the difference between the F-150 and the Maverick. I would be all for that, but I’m also looking to down sizing from a ‘02 F-150. With more cab/bed configurations for the Ranger (and the future compact Maverick), Ford would definitely have a broader range of size options for all truck owners needs. Just my 2 cents.
I doubt the maverick will ever get a lot of configurations, which is why it's out of consideration for me. (I don't need 4 doors, and I want as much bed space as I can get in the footprint.) So if they pork up the ranger at the cost of stuff like visibility over the hood, there isn't really an option except "bigger is better".

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I sure hope you are right about a number of bed configurations?

If so, I’ll be ordering a SuperCrew/longbed Lariat with the Tremor package. This would be the perfect base overland rig right from the factory.
Just one point: It took Ranger until it's mid-model refresh (half way between generations) to get the different packages that are available now and keep pushing the sales needle. I would not expect the 2023 Ranger to launch with many package options. However, bed configurations should mostly be baked in from the get-go as they will have the production line capable of it from Job #1.

Remember when Ranger launched in 2019 the only packages offered were Sport Appearance (which is just some painted trim) and Chrome package including FX4. All very mainstay packages that persist throughout the life of the model. Black pack, sport, FX2 and Tremor are all trickled into the lineup to keep giving people options and stimulate sales.

A guess would be a Tremor-type package at MY25 or MY26. This, of course, depends on if/when they have the Ranger Raptor as that would probably prevent any sort of quasi-offroad package (Tremor) from hitting the market on the 6g.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Just one point: It took Ranger until it's mid-model refresh (half way between generations) to get the different packages that are available now and keep pushing the sales needle. I would not expect the 2023 Ranger to launch with many package options. However, bed configurations should mostly be baked in from the get-go as they will have the production line capable of it from Job #1.

Remember when Ranger launched in 2019 the only packages offered were Sport Appearance (which is just some painted trim) and Chrome package including FX4. All very mainstay packages that persist throughout the life of the model. Black pack, sport, FX2 and Tremor are all trickled into the lineup to keep giving people options and stimulate sales.

A guess would be a Tremor-type package at MY25 or MY26. This, of course, depends on if/when they have the Ranger Raptor as that would probably prevent any sort of quasi-offroad package (Tremor) from hitting the market on the 6g.
You have a very good point about how the Ranger was launched in a piecemeal approach to the NA market. Part of that strategy I believe is to keep it somewhat relevant considering this truck design was 5 years old before we even got it.

Hopefully Ford will roll out the next gen Ranger like they are approaching the Bronco launch with 6 trims and loads of options right out of the starting gate.

A sure fire way to tick off customers is by telling them (for example) a Tremor package isn’t available on an all new design when customers are use to it being an available option. These high optioned packages are big money makers for the manufacturers. They would be foolish not to capitalize on that, especially with the excitement of an all new design.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hopefully it has bedside stake pockets as all pickups used to.
Yes. Please. Please. Please. :please:
I don't want a full-size truck, but still need to do truck duties.
Hopefully those headlights are placeholders cause that looks like barf.

I'm telling you it looks like the current Ranger and Tacoma are the last trucks to look like trucks. Everything else wants to be some stupid hybrid between a truck and a European sports car.
I'm the complete opposite. Current one looks like a car grill to me. At the risk of being taken outside and boot-fuc**d, I'm not a fan of the current grill. I'd much prefer something boxier.

...and put me down for psycho-driver also. Don't need it, but want it. Bring on the 2.7!

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Brought this over from Ranger6G

Post from February 2019

Wonder how close this is to the version we're seeing under wraps?

1610479047837.png

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
later closer pictures of it show it better, and its labelled as a fuel drain.
Thanks RANGER PRIDE. Some of the members here are going to want that feature so they can drain their tank daily to measure what’s left so they can calculate their EXACT fuel consumption/gas mileage and check it back to their on-screen data.
1610479918679.png

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Is this going to be the new global Ranger? If so don't count on it being bigger; it wouldn't sell in many markets then (where it competes with Toyota Hilux). I personally don't want some bloated F150 wannabe.

Where Ford could tap F150 and hit a home run is by knocking 500 pounds off the Ranger by building it in aluminum, using the techniques developed for the F150. No class action lawsuits needed then, since it would trounce the competition on fuel economy and performance.

I see a real place for a smaller, albeit real truck. Just optimize for a market that wants smaller, nimbler, sporty and less thirsty. A Ranger/Bronco 1-2 punch with real punch. But for now I'm pretty happy with the Ranger we finally have. I compared to the others, admired the handling and packages on the Chevy, but still chose the Ranger. I disagree with those who say it lacks character. That turbo gives it character. Really, only the Frontier has character, and there only because it is so ancient I feel genuine nostalgia just looking at the thing (the new one looks hideous). Whatever Ford does let's hope they get the panel fitments right, and maybe spray on a bit more paint, more evenly.
Sponsored