Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone found or had the need for a USB Type C "hub" in their truck? My household is slowly transitioning. I know it'll be a while before the "old" usb style will be outdated and inconveniencing, but I plan on keeping the truck a while and thought this would be a nice future proofing. I know a number of new vehicles, including a range of Ford models come with them built in (in addition to the standard USB).

I replaced the USB hub in my 2016 F-150 to support CarPlay, it was as simple as removing hub with a trim remover and plugging in the new one.
Sponsored

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Got a pic of the F-150? Would like to see how it turned out. Depending on what direction Apple takes the new iPhone charger this year it may be something I need to look into.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I personally dont see a good enough reason to swap it out. USB will still be USB and swapping out to a USB-C doesn't make sense to me when they make cables to go from USB to USB-C. Also be aware that the USB hub can burn out if you constantly use it. I did that already on my truck from constantly using Android auto and that was a mistake. Very possible the cable I was using didnt help as it has lights and therefore created more load.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
As far as I'm concerned, USB-A is already dead and USB-C is superior in every way. USB-C PD charging can deliver 100w output in some applications whereas USB-A to USB-C QC3.0 tops out at 36w.

Geek talk aside, I did cut off my left 12v outlet and hardwired a usb-a qc3.0, usb-c pd 18w, with a built in voltmeter.

dbm1175

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
IT Guy
Does anybody know the part number for the 2019-2020 Ranger stock USB hub? I see some replacement hubs online listed by part number they replace.

Geek talk aside, I did cut off my left 12v outlet and hardwired a usb-a qc3.0, usb-c pd 18w, with a built in voltmeter.
Pleased with the one you got? Have a link to it?

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Also be aware that the USB hub can burn out if you constantly use it. I did that already on my truck from constantly using Android auto and that was a mistake. Very possible the cable I was using didnt help as it has lights and therefore created more load.
In my previous Ford vehicle I have used Android Auto every day since 2016 without issue. Your cable comment makes it seem more likely that the cable shorted and fried the USB hub.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Has anyone found or had the need for a USB Type C "hub" in their truck? My household is slowly transitioning. I know it'll be a while before the "old" usb style will be outdated and inconveniencing, but I plan on keeping the truck a while and thought this would be a nice future proofing. I know a number of new vehicles, including a range of Ford models come with them built in (in addition to the standard USB).

I replaced the USB hub in my 2016 F-150 to support CarPlay, it was as simple as removing hub with a trim remover and plugging in the new one.
I thought about doing the same thing but from what I've read the USB-C hub doesn't support PD. It just wasn't worth it too me since it didn't actually improve anything and just changed USB form factor. Should be a simple plug and play affair if you decide to do it.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Higher power delivery (PD) is marginally useful. The reversible USB-C connector would be sufficient motivation for me to update the console connections.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I wouldn't mind USB-C but personally I'm going to be hiding AAWireless ( AAWireless | Indiegogo ) somewhere behind the USB ports entirely and charge my phone as-needed using the wireless chargers I put in. The wireless chargers I put in are 15W, making them nearly as fast as USB-PD (which is only 18W on my Pixel 4).

Last edited:

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
Reactions: EJH

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Does anybody know the part number for the 2019-2020 Ranger stock USB hub? I see some replacement hubs online listed by part number they replace.

Pleased with the one you got? Have a link to it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCBKZSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one. I am very pleased with it so far! The voltmeter display is just a tiny bit too bright with the cover off and the blue doesn't match the teal interior lighting of the ranger--but those are just nitpicks.

I did cut the rubber tether off of the cover so I can take it completely off and toss it into the cubby in front of the shifter when I'm using the ports.

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
Since 2020 Super Duty’s have a similar looking plug module but have USB-C on them I was very disappointed when I received my 2020 Ranger and saw the old USB ports.

Hoping someone can find the Ford P/N for the USB-C terminal and see if it’s a simple plug and play upgrade!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Are you looking more at the connector style or the fast charging? I changed out both 12v sockets for these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMHZDXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I have fast charging and it doesn't interfere w/ android auto.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCBKZSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one. I am very pleased with it so far! The voltmeter display is just a tiny bit too bright with the cover off and the blue doesn't match the teal interior lighting of the ranger--but those are just nitpicks.

I did cut the rubber tether off of the cover so I can take it completely off and toss it into the cubby in front of the shifter when I'm using the ports.
If you are just looking to have a USB type-C connector for charging only these Amazon parts will work fine. They are only power connectors. To deal with data (Android Auto, Cardplay or digital music) you will need to replace the USB hub in the truck.

dbm1175

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
IT Guy
Hoping someone can find the Ford P/N for the USB-C terminal and see if it’s a simple plug and play upgrade!
Check out my posts a bit above this one. Based on part numbers, looks like the one I linked should worked. That said, I've not yet tried it.
Sponsored