Ughhhh! I've got a hood paint issue. Any suggestions?

seasprite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL STX
I used Dr colorchip and it blended in pretty well. Now that some time has passed I'm having trouble locating the chip and it was deep, took quite a few coats to get it level so the light didn't catch the edges.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/got-my-first-scratch.21733/

My concern with your issue is why is the paint failing? Will it keep going? Some kind of environmental damage? Or just a defect from the factory like you mentioned

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i guess one upside is that if the hood really is aluminum it will not be rusting anytime soon. :facepalm:

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
What I really want to have done is to get a matte black vinyl hood wrap with graphic done, with a ghosted in topographical image. My fear though is that the brutal Florida sun will cook that vinyl and cause more issues.
topo-overland_550x550.jpg
The Toyota nav is so bad they put the map on the hood! ?

Really though, it's a cool personalization.

Frank

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
i guess one upside is that if the hood really is aluminum it will not be rusting anytime soon. :facepalm:
But if it corrodes at all the whole hood goes. At least we get slightly better MPGs out of it. I have had good lick with the 2 in 1 duplicolor with the clear coat as well. I would wet sand the color the next day, clear it and wet sand and blend it in.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm wondering if it was a bird dropping that got baked on in the sun and then washed off in the rain.
That's possible and bird poop is highly acidic and should/needs to be washed off asap.

As far as wrapping it Mark @txquailguy has his wrapped. Granted he lives in CO but he still has had no issue with his and if you use a protectant (shameless 303 plug ?) you should be fine down there in FL.

1675688505642.png

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's possible and bird poop is highly acidic and should/needs to be washed off asap.

As far as wrapping it Mark @txquailguy has his wrapped. Granted he lives in CO but he still has had no issue with his and if you use a protectant (shameless 303 plug ?) you should be fine down there in FL.

1675688505642.png
I gotta tell you, I've been using 303 Aerospace Protectant since late 2014/early 2015! I was at a car-show with my Mustang and some old codger next to me saw me getting down on the ground to start cleaning my wheels and tires. He stopped me and handed me a bottle of 303 Aerospace protectant and said try that instead, and that it leaves tires looking fresh and clean without the greasy armor-all look.

I loved it! It turned out he was selling the stuff out of the trunk of his car and I bought a bottle for$3. I had become such a 303 convert at that point that for a few years after that, they were sending me bottles of 303 (and then other Gold Eagle) products to T&E.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Let me drop something in here about vinyl wraps....especially in cold climates. When the front of the truck freezes up, impacts from rocks can cause small chips in the wrap. This occurs along the front leading edge of the hood and on both side mirrors. Next time I do a cover like this on a vehicle, I will go the extra mile to have a clear wrap installed over the colored vinyl to prevent this from happening.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Yeah, not going to level that area until I'm all ready to apply paint to protect it. Unfortunately, I don't have a paint brush and haven't used one since high school. ? I guess that's a no-go their. My main concern is just getting it protect, keep it from worsening, and hopefully not making it look like crap.
*there

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I was washing my truck off yesterday after a little day trip to go wheelin' in it, and I noticed this paint damage on the hood:
2023-02-05 10.32.02.jpg

2023-02-05 10.32.12.jpg

My inclination is to sand it to bare metal where it's flaking up, clean it up really well, and then cover it with touch-up paint. It wont be the prettiest repair, but I'm hoping it stops any further damage. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Just move the quarter over the chipped paint….problem solved ?
Curious to see how the touch up kit works. At least prevent any further damage. I’m more anal about the inside of my truck than the outside. I know the outside will get chipped paint just due to life, but I definitely can prevent my kids from spilling sticky shit in my truck and then trying to hide the fact that they did it. I don’t let them eat in this truck, at least not yet. I realized how disgusting kids are after I took out the car seats in my last truck. It was impressive to say the least. So this truck I plan on trying to keep the interior as clean as I can. Outside I’ll wash and wax like normal and attempt to not sweat over the paint.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Thanks! I ordered the Dr. Colorchip kit. I'm hoping for a better blend into the surrounding surface with it.
There is also a ford branded one your dealer can order that matches your paint exactly, comes with clearcoat on one end, etc.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
so it may be my eyes but it does not look like damage. looks more like a spot that had impurities or debris on the surface before the paint was applied. if that is the case it should be on ford to paint
My trucks has plenty of spots where you can see impurities. It's pretty embarrassing on Ford.

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
What I really want to have done is to get a matte black vinyl hood wrap with graphic done, with a ghosted in topographical image. My fear though is that the brutal Florida sun will cook that vinyl and cause more issues.
topo-overland_550x550.jpg
John,

Have a look at https://www.lbdesignworks.com/. You can reach out to Brendan Joyce [email protected] and ask him about how this holds up in the Florida sun.

This is the company I used to make my hood stripe. I'm in Georgia but my truck lives in the garage so I can't really say what the effect is from the sun.
Sponsored