Tremor vs. FX4 build

Advnirvana

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4 Carbonized Grey
Looking at buying a 2021 Ranger this week.
Originally looked at getting the Lariat with Tremor package....but now thinking about getting an XLT FX4 and upgrading to the Ford Tuned 2.0 suspension which includes lift/level. Btw can’t find any XLT/Tremor packages nearby (eastern Ontario Canada).
I know there are some additional extras with the Tremor package such as for the interior, 32 inch tire, small fender flare, additional ground clearance

I am leaning towards the XLT/FX4 and doing the Fox 2.0 kit myself versus the Larait/Tremor package because I think it is a better value and Fox 2.0 kit has a bit more adjustability from what it sounds and has the lift/level.

Does this make sense? I was hoping others have also weighed the pro and cons of an FX4 Fox upgrade build versus Tremor. Or does the Fox suspension on the Tremor have the lift/ level or do I need to add that with a RoughCountry kit.

Thanks
Andy
Ontario, Canada
Sponsored

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Well it's up to do on what you want to do with the truck. You may come in a little cheaper adding the Fox shocks to an FX4, but you won't gain everything the Tremor has. Besides what you already mentioned, the Tremor also has different rear leaf springs to achieve a little extra rear height that you won't get out of the Fox shocks alone. Tremor also comes with the uplifter switches to make installing accessories much easier. All comes down to your budget (and don't forget to check if theres a difference in insurance coverage)

I think you won't regret getting a Tremor, but if you go FX4, it may leave you wishing you had...

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Frankly I got the Tremor because the little fender flair and the wheels is what makes the Ranger actually look reasonably okay. I also appreciated it came with a pretty good suspension package. The Tremor has some different suspension hard parts (arms) that the FX4 doesn't have, too.

If you want to do a build and have better-than-Tremor suspension, just get the FX4.

Personally I'm a fan of IronMan 4x4's Foam Cell Pro line, but it's up to you what you go for.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
With the market the way it is right now just see what you can get a good deal on and go from there. Some dealers are asking over MSRP on tremors right now because they’re hard to get. In my opinion the tremor is really nice but nothing on there is anything you’ll really miss since the aftermarket is loaded with options. The switches are cool but not a make or break deal in my eyes. You can always run a few switches if you need to. The nice thing with the tremor is the truck is pretty much set up perfect from the factory and doesn’t need any upgrades.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Some members just get the 4X4. I want the FX4 for the Terrain Management modes and crawl.
The rest of the suspension I would put 4K USD into it. Up grade the undercarriage armor if I felt stock was inadequate. Winch. I would start with protecting the Diff. Nothing crazy with lifts. What's up with the side steeps on the Tremor. I want the rock rails smooth. Depends on what you are going to use the Ranger for. Rangers are about towing. I do not wish to tow. Nor do I want a Mall Crawler. Its an easy choice for me as I want a Super Cab again. Hopefully when the Gen 6 Ranger comes out, I can get a PHEV in a Super Cab.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Originally looked at getting the Lariat with Tremor package....but now thinking about getting an XLT FX4 and upgrading to the Ford Tuned 2.0 suspension which includes lift/level. Btw can’t find any XLT/Tremor packages nearby (eastern Ontario Canada).
I know there are some additional extras with the Tremor package such as for the interior, 32 inch tire, small fender flare, additional ground clearance

I am leaning towards the XLT/FX4 and doing the Fox 2.0 kit myself versus the Larait/Tremor package because I think it is a better value and Fox 2.0 kit has a bit more adjustability from what it sounds and has the lift/level.

Does this make sense? I was hoping others have also weighed the pro and cons of an FX4 Fox upgrade build versus Tremor. Or does the Fox suspension on the Tremor have the lift/ level or do I need to add that with a RoughCountry kit.

Thanks
Andy
Ontario, Canada
So here's my best input I can give to you and everyone else when it comes to picking out a trimmer package truck versus a non trimmer package truck. Obviously you're looking at it to go off-road which is totally okay. The real question is do you want to build it the way you want it to be or do you just want to buy it and more or less be done with it? If you want to buy it and be done with it by a Tremor. If you want to buy it and build it the way you want it to be go with a different package. That is really the best advice I can give you

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Knowing what I know now, I could have bought a 4x4 and installed the FX4 terrain control afterwards. Probably gotten better shocks in the deal. But, I'm not unhappy. I can do the mods I want as I find them. It's part of the learning process.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Also in Canada. I just ordered the Lariat Tremor a few weeks ago.
I researched for about a month. Then I slept on it for a couple weeks, just to make sure I was still confident in my decision. Then I ordered. If I wanted an in-stock truck, I was going to have to pay a mark up. With an order, I got my A-plan pricing.

You are talking about a couple changes. XLT vs Lariat = some features. For me, I wanted OEM LED lighting, push-button start, and the extra interior bits you get with the Lariat. Some of these cannot be done as aftermarket upgrades. Up to you to determine the value.

Then, compare the FX4 to the Tremor. Tremor gets you the wheel/tire combo, fender flares (barely noticeable), better shocks and the leaf spring pack in the rear. The upfitter switches are a nice OEM touch. While you could do all of these upgrades, you would certainly spend more. Of course, you could choose different aftermarket options and get much better components. The sky is the limit, as much as you can afford.

For me, it came down to the value of the OEM equipment exceeding my needs for both features and appearance. It also checks a lot of boxes, saving me the time and money involved with some upgrades. And, it is a little more rare/unique.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
If you enjoy modifying a truck to fit you, I’d go with the FX4. The FOX suspension on the tremor is not adjustable so if you want to lift it, you’ll need new suspension parts anyway. With the price difference, I think you can make a better truck with the FX4 than the Tremor. But, if you want a grab-and-go truck that looks modified, go with the Tremor.
Either option will get you a great truck with offroad capability.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
I had the same question and bought a Lariat Tremor instead of FX4. Ordered Feb 26 delivered May 12. Main reasons;

- multileaf springs
- fox tuned for the truck
- outfitter switches
- tires
- wheels
- knuckles

The reported suspension and tire weakness is solved. The cost and lack of true engineered outcome also pushed me to Tremor. I can wrench and have done similiar mods on multiple vehicles. I do not intend to change the suspension, tire size, or wheels on my truck, OEM is solid for me.

Wish you the best in your final value and outcome.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
If you enjoy modifying a truck to fit you, I’d go with the FX4. The FOX suspension on the tremor is not adjustable so if you want to lift it, you’ll need new suspension parts anyway. With the price difference, I think you can make a better truck with the FX4 than the Tremor. But, if you want a grab-and-go truck that looks modified, go with the Tremor.
Either option will get you a great truck with offroad capability.
Its definitely more time consuming to modify the Truck yourself. Stressful to me too. Things like I would remove all the FX4 Suspension except for the lower control arms and the other equipment that is fine on the Ranger. Ok, now I have to sell FX4 stuff. The only way you will beat the price of the Tremor package is to do the work yourself. Are you mechanically inclined. Do you have the tools and the know how. Yes, its best to go to a 2.5 style dampers for quality and adjustability. That's what I want with the suspension. That I can grow with it. Gas mileage starts to also be affected as the tires get larger.

OP
OP

Advnirvana

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4 Carbonized Grey
Its definitely more time consuming to modify the Truck yourself. Stressful to me too. Things like I would remove all the FX4 Suspension except for the lower control arms and the other equipment that is fine on the Ranger. Ok, now I have to sell FX4 stuff. The only way you will beat the price of the Tremor package is to do the work yourself. Are you mechanically inclined. Do you have the tools and the know how. Yes, its best to go to a 2.5 style dampers for quality and adjustability. That's what I want with the suspension. That I can grow with it. Gas mileage starts to also be affected as the tires get larger.
Thanks again Scooter.
You and others bring up some great points.
I am mechanically inclined (if I have instructions), have the tools, and the shop. Just not sure if it is worth building it up myself.
Couple of things that I would like to do to the Tremor have adjustability to level it ( a little too much rake stock) and to possibly go with a 33 inch tire (BFG AT). But on the other hand it looks like the Ford engineers have built the Tremor this way for a reason and it is good right out of the box.
Going to take another look at the Lariat/ Tremor and see if I can live with the rake/stance the way it is.
Has it been confirmed that the Fox 2.0:setup on the Tremor is different than the Ford tuned package? I know the rears are different that they have remote reservoirs...but I haven’t heard if the fronts are different.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Honestly, you will probably be happy either way but I can tell you I went Tremor over FX4 because it basically had everything done that I would have wanted to do. The rear leaf springs and interior were a bit of the wild card bonus AND it will all be covered under any normal insurance plan. We traded in my wife's Escape and our insurance didn't even go up.

The main thing I do not like about the Tremor is that the front fox 2.0 struts are NOT threaded so I will need to use a 0.5-1.0 spacer to get the front where I want. Otherwise, I even like the tires. They did well on sand which was my biggest concern. Still going to play on sand a little more but I may even just stick to these tires long term.

Otherwise, glad we got the Tremor as all I am really worried about now is what lighting I want to get and that front leveling kit I mentioned.

One funny thing, normal people must notice the cool factor of the Tremor over normal Rangers because I have not received compliments in any other car I have owned by normal random people other than my '66 Mustang. We have had our Tremor about 3 weeks not and at least once a week someone asks me about it.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator

Thanks
Andy
Ontario, Canada
Where in Eastern ON? I am in K-Town. I got the Lariat FX4, and I am happy, suits my needs. Would I like a Tremor? Absolutely. Do I need it? Not really. I think you can probably mod up from the FX4 but the tremor comes pretty much ready. I think with modding up you can get exactly what you’re looking for. My 2 cents
Sponsored