First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PX3 Wildtrak 2lt bi-turbo
Occupation
Jack of ALL trades
I parked in the shade yesterday on site and when I got back my truck was full of tree gum/sap/glue/whatever you call it droplets, only realized this when I got in and saw the spots on the windscreen. I tried to remove with a wet rag to no avail (sticky AF).

Any suggestions on how to remove these without damaging the paint/clearcoat? Truck is standing in the sun today so these will most probably be backed hard by mid-day :(
Sponsored

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Lighter fluid on a rag or A clay bar and lube is what I use. It just depends on the size of the sap spots.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I parked in the shade yesterday on site and when I got back my truck was full of tree gum/sap/glue/whatever you call it droplets, only realized this when I got in and saw the spots on the windscreen. I tried to remove with a wet rag to no avail (sticky AF).

Any suggestions on how to remove these without damaging the paint/clearcoat? Truck is standing in the sun today so these will most probably be backed hard by mid-day :(
I'd try rapeseed or olive oil. I use that to clean my hands, farm equipment, chainsaws, ect. as it just pick up any other oil based resin out of anything (including wax). Then wash with a shampoo & wax. Mineral oils/spirits might also work, but I've got no idea what those would do to the paint.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Acetone works the best. Wax the area after using and you're good to go.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Time.

It will eventually wash off with rain, car washes (spray only, not brush) opt for the bug remover if it is offered.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Rubbing alcohol took Pine Sap off of my vehicle with no issues whatsoever. Of course I didn't have those giant globs like that guy in the video. I want to see somebody use that acetone on a black truck.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Goof off works awesome. thing with pine sap is if you don't get it off it will destroy the clear coat. My last Ranger paid that price!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
To the comment on car washes... touch car washes are the devil.

Touchless, fine, if you must (which I do).

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Time.

It will eventually wash off with rain, car washes (spray only, not brush) opt for the bug remover if it is offered.
No, eventually it will turn into a rock hard blob that will be very difficult to get off.

WD-40 works very well if the sap is fresh. Peanut butter is another way to get fresh sap off.

If it is hardened then you will most likely need to mechanically remove it with a plastic scrapper.

Some one mentioned acetone. It will take it off but it will also disolve the paint. I would not recommend it, it's like aging with fire and you will eventually get burned.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing I've found to remove tree sap is rubbing alcohol. It takes wax off too, but does a good job removing sap.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No, eventually it will turn into a rock hard blob that will be very difficult to get off.

WD-40 works very well if the sap is fresh. Peanut butter is another way to get fresh sap off.

If it is hardened then you will most likely need to mechanically remove it with a plastic scrapper.

Some one mentioned acetone. It will take it off but it will also disolve the paint. I would not recommend it, it's like aging with fire and you will eventually get burned.

Acetone will not dissolve the paint unless you leave it on to long, I've been doing it for years. As long as you don't put it on to heavy and wash it then wax it right away it's fine. It is one of the harsher solvents to use but it does cut through it quicker but you have to wash it thoroughly and quick.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Acetone will not dissolve the paint unless you leave it on to long, I've been doing it for years. As long as you don't put it on to heavy and wash it then wax it right away it's fine.
An how long is too long? Acetone is the second most aggressive solvent behind MEK. That's great that you have gotten away with it for years but the fact is it will disolve the paint and there are plenty of other solvents that will remove sap and won't disolve the paint. I am of the opinion you are playing with fire if you use acetone.