DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
How does the Ranger come from the factory? Is there any sort of wax etc or is it just paint and clearcoat?
I was told by my dealership detailing guru and prep tech - they just put the vehicles (Rangers) in a normal vehicle car wash.;) If you receive your Ranger by rail, from the Wayne assembly plant in Detroit, it probably has rail/iron dust and industrial fallout on the paint surface.;) The dealership main purpose in life is to move your Ranger off the lot and not spend a lot of time polishing it for the new owner.;)

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
From the factory... no

My dealer detailed my Ranger (and every car I have bought from them). They started detailing as soon as I said I'll take it and it was ready shortly after the paperwork was completed...

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by my dealership detailing guru and prep tech - they just put the vehicles (Rangers) in a normal vehicle car wash.;) If you receive your Ranger by rail, from the Wayne assembly plant in Detroit, it probably has rail/iron dust and industrial fallout on the paint surface.;) The dealership main purpose in life is to move your Ranger off the lot and not spend a lot of time polishing it for the new owner.;)
Interestingly enough, when I picked mine up, the dealership had not only washed it, but had put a coat of wax on it. Surprised the hell outta me.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I like to detail my own vehicles so to tell you the truth the less the dealer touches my truck the better. When I picked mine up I could tell it was waxed, there was some residue here and there and it shined pretty nice, the worst was the crappy tire shine they put on it lol.

But when I got home and did the plastic baggie test, Holy cow there is soo much contamination on mine confirming my dealer just washed and waxed so in a weird way I’m happy. I cant wait to do a full detail myself when the weather gets cooler and less humid.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Arent you suppose to wait 3 months before applying wax to let the paint cure properly?
Not sure about wax but I wouldn't do a full detail and polish till then. I’m at a month and a half now :).

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about wax but I wouldn't do a full detail and polish till then. I’m at a month and a half now
Most detailers and bodyshops will likely give you a 30–90 day “cure time”. This is the amount of time it takes for the paint to fully set and harden, giving your vehicle the full protective measures. This 30–90 day period is also a time where you WILL NOT want to apply any other protective coating: wax, sealant, etc.;)

Ref: Google search - "how long for paint to cure on car"

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bodyshop paint is put on heavier than factory. Urethane paint dries quick but I'd wait a month in warm weather.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Arent you suppose to wait 3 months before applying wax to let the paint cure properly?
They say that factory paint is baked and you dont have to wait,plus its probably water based and there isnt any solvent to evaporate.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
“Brand new cars have been left to cure for weeks or months before they get to the end user. Those finishes are also baked on at the factory, so they’re ready to be waxed as soon as you take delivery.”

Mike Pennington - Meguiar’s Director of Global Training

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If one source say's "30-90 days" and another source says "there is no wait time for the paint to cure", you can't go wrong by erroring on the safe side and waiting 3 months.;)
BTW - an old hand at a Ford dealership said 3 months.;)
Sponsored