First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
It blows my mind how Ford can send a truck out with low transmission fluid levels straight from the factory. Completely unacceptable. That’s one of the few things that has to be correct. Can’t be good for the transmission but maybe they don’t care. More money in service fees for them.
yes i agree. what bothers me is now that it has close to 27k miles on it being a full quart low, what good did that do the transmission for the long run.
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
yes im not sure what changed but after reinstalling the ford tune i had trouble codes pop up almost instantly :rolleyes:. they did a nice job on the bad bearing at least. i was also happy they did the vavle body swap without me having to come back again for another round. sadly transmission still shifts sloppy and lags / lugs.
i decided to use the features of pro cal and see what the trans is "doing" while i drive. got a temp of 200 to 210, normal drive no load, slip time of 1.6 seconds was highest lowest just under a second, lag time of about 1 second. i dont know what most of those mean. i have data now. and what to do with it ?
1677877656182.png
If they changed out the valve body electronics, your tune strategy may have changed from your original.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE** Got a new transmission. Said it was a "burnt clutch". I briefly read the paper work but said fluid was black but at level. Something up with the fluid and design?
I assume you have warranty? Mine was way out of warranty...

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
yes i agree. what bothers me is now that it has close to 27k miles on it being a full quart low, what good did that do the transmission for the long run.
Yeah that’s the big concern. If the transmission suffers damage later on will they replace it because fluid was low for x amount of miles. I highly doubt it. Why design a transmission that is very hard to check level and claim fluid only needs to be replaced at 150k miles just to not have enough quality control to actually verify level is correct in every vehicle. You know there are people out there who have had fluid level low and driven to the recommended interval. Can’t be good on a transmission. I honestly expect newer vehicles to last to 200,000 miles minimum. 150k should be the new 100k.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
UPDATE** Got a new transmission. Said it was a "burnt clutch". I briefly read the paper work but said fluid was black but at level. Something up with the fluid and design?
Burnt clutch? Burnt clutch is the outcome but what went wrong to cause it? It would be cool to get a why every so often from Ford. It can’t cost much for them to have an expert break it down and determine the cause and use that data to keep bettering themselves more often on these types of failures.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I am glad they replaced the transmission. Hopefully the new one is trouble free. I do not know a lot about transmissions but, I wonder if the low fluid level some folks had from factory is leading to the clutch problem ? I am thinking less fluid more heat more heat more toasty parts.

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am glad they replaced the transmission. Hopefully the new one is trouble free. I do not know a lot about transmissions but, I wonder if the low fluid level some folks had from factory is leading to the clutch problem ? I am thinking less fluid more heat more heat more toasty parts.
It said on the notes mine was at level but black. I wonder what is causing to to burn out? I read older posts about others smelling burned brakes or burning clutch after driving around.

"One of the most common symptoms of clutch trouble is slipping gears. Simply put, this is when your car's transmission cannot always stay in gear. If your gear slips, you may notice sudden revving or hesitation while driving as your transmission comes out of the proper gear.
5 Signs Your Clutch is on the Verge"

Something is up and should recommend to replace the fluid asap to whoever still has the original fluid just in case.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It said on the notes mine was at level but black. I wonder what is causing to to burn out? I read older posts about others smelling burned brakes or burning clutch after driving around.

"One of the most common symptoms of clutch trouble is slipping gears. Simply put, this is when your car's transmission cannot always stay in gear. If your gear slips, you may notice sudden revving or hesitation while driving as your transmission comes out of the proper gear.
5 Signs Your Clutch is on the Verge"

Something is up and should recommend to replace the fluid asap to whoever still has the original fluid just in case.
I've experience slipping in the later stages of failure or what appear to be hanging between gears...what I don't understand is why this also combined with instantaneous engagement that causes a severe jot/slam into next gear...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
could it be that some places on the clutch surfaces are more damaged than others? like damaged spots - hang or delay (slip) and then when a "good" or normal spot comes it grabs roughly from the slip?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
TSB applies to F150, Expedition, Ranger, Mustang, and Navigator. Interestingly, it only applies to F150s through MY 2020, but the others through 2022.
Ok, so explain it for us slow learners. (Assuming I'm not the only one. :crazy:) What has Ford changed in the transmissions of a later vintage? Obviously being the owner of a '23 I am really hoping the transmission in my truck has had an injection of some magical transmission fixer.
Sponsored