Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
Update,

I traded the truck in on a Jeep Gladiator. The HVAC blend door problem reintroduced itself after about 6 months and I simply had enough. Actuator and eccentric popped off the blend door lever, even though the actuator was still affixed tightly.

Even broken, it held its resale value very well —thanks Ford, or Wuhan Lab, or federal reserve inflation, …or whatever reason.

Mopar’s have been exceedingly reliable for me and my family over the past 25 years.

For all of you who have a good Ranger, I wish you continued joy and happiness. The truck is the best mid-size truck by any objective standards. Mine was simply an aberration.
Sponsored

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Sometimes a vehicle can go from the best dog you ever had, to the mutt you can't stand.

At which point the expression "nothing gets over a old dog like a new puppy" comes in, I have applied that to dogs, cars, motorcycles even women.

Have fun with the new puppy:like:

ebob9

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Professional Lurker
Was there a service bulletin # associated with that repair ?
I am guessing this is the TSB (or at least the most current version) - TSB 22-2428

Note, this TSB has been updated a ton and changed monthly since around April. The fix is MUCH more involved as of the May 2023 update!

For comparison, here is the superseded TSB from April 2023 - TSB 23-2123

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It sounds like the dealers were a little in the dark and guessing at how to resolve the transmission issues - replacing the PCM sounded like a desperate try.

I haven't had any major issues with my 2019 (pre CDF drum update) but occasional inconsistent behavior. I wonder if not everything is due to the tranny but maybe engine sensors too.

The software update from Ford as well as certain tuners being able to influence shifting - and the former can be in conflict with the latter without returning the factory tune to stock first - but it just sounds to me Ford is hiding an update to the valve body that affects performance. Not simply some 'gasket' replacement.

It really affects someone out of warranty willing to put their own money into 'fixing' the transmission vs. those with warranties and patience to work through the dealership.

No mentions of transmission fluid levels.

As for the blend door failing twice, that would torque me off, warranty or not.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Update,

I traded the truck in on a Jeep Gladiator. The HVAC blend door problem reintroduced itself after about 6 months and I simply had enough. Actuator and eccentric popped off the blend door lever, even though the actuator was still affixed tightly.

Even broken, it held its resale value very well —thanks Ford, or Wuhan Lab, or federal reserve inflation, …or whatever reason.

Mopar’s have been exceedingly reliable for me and my family over the past 25 years.

For all of you who have a good Ranger, I wish you continued joy and happiness. The truck is the best mid-size truck by any objective standards. Mine was simply an aberration.
sad but you have to do what you have to do. are you sharing any pics with us? any mods planned?

Michael7571

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash Edition
Genuine improvement.

I took my 2020 XL STX FX4 CC to Ford at 59k to have the trans reviewed before warranty expired.

I noted harsh shifting as my concern. Dealer said the valve body needed to be replaced, however the warranty receipt only shows “rebuilt” with new gaskets, seals and (2) separator plates. Additionally, they performed a re-flash.

Pleased to report a 100% improvement. Better than new. My assumption is that the biggest improvements are the result of the trans reflash. Shifts completely different now. New thing —Tends to shift 1-2 and then skip shifts to 4 under moderate accel. Used to be nearly permanent 1-3 skip shift. Still does that but only on light accel. Also holds gears longer and does not PWM/hyper flare the converter nearly as much. So much better and more refined experience.

I highly recommend people ask their dealer to perform the same service. It’s so much better, I’d even pay for it if I had known how much better it is, and I had been out of warranty.

I tried this last week and does just what you said about shifting differently and holding the gears longer. Feels like it’s in sports mode. Amazing difference.
Sponsored