Transmission Clunk

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi all,
I have a 2019 Lariat w/all the toys. Very happy with it except the transmission. It seems to have gotten worse now that it's cold outside. After the truck has sat overnight and I drive it for the first time of the day. I start it, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and it doesn't go into gear right away. There's a delay.....then wait for it...CLUNK!!!

If you are not holding the brakes tight, the clunk is pretty massive when it finally decides to go into gear. I suppose I need to check to see if it happens going forward or if it's just reverse. Anytime you drive it for the rest of the day is fine, it won't do it again until it's been well cold soaked.

Could the tranny fluid be low? Anybody else experiencing this?
Sponsored

BGDOGY

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 crew cab
I've had my lariat for about three months and haven't had that issue. Sounds like a trip to the dealer, hope yours is better than mine. Every issue I take to them they can't duplicate or I think they don't want to duplicate it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My experience has been when the transmission is cold (< 35 degree air temp or so), when I start out in the morning, I will get exactly ONE hard shift - usually from first to second. After that, it is fine. If it is warmer out, I typically don't get that behavior. Warming up the truck for 30-60 seconds seems to improve this. I don't know if that is similar to what you are experiencing. I've not worried about it because it is so specific and only happens on that first shift. I just take it easy until it warms up.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
i get the occasional clunk going from Reverse to Drive in the morning...not really a delay tho.

OP
OP

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I don't see a dipstick. Is tranny fluid level something that I can check?

OP
OP

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
i get the occasional clunk going from Reverse to Drive in the morning...not really a delay tho.
The delay is so long that one time I thought it was in gear already and let off the brakes, ready to back out of the garage. Then it dropped into gear...... **WHAM!!!**

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
My experience has been when the transmission is cold (< 35 degree air temp or so), when I start out in the morning, I will get exactly ONE hard shift - usually from first to second. After that, it is fine. If it is warmer out, I typically don't get that behavior. Warming up the truck for 30-60 seconds seems to improve this. I don't know if that is similar to what you are experiencing. I've not worried about it because it is so specific and only happens on that first shift. I just take it easy until it warms up.
Mine does the exact same thing.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
There should be a plug type dipstick on the side of the transmission where the dipstick would go. Your truck is under warranty, I would not be messing with it, set up a service appointment to leave it on a cold night. What your experiencing is not normal. Mine is silky smooth. Better than I could have imagined in all honesty.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
Yeah, there was a TSB about the rough shifting. The updated my PCM and said that should help. I think it did a bit but still I get a very hard shift for the first few blocks driving. It can't be good for the vehicle.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Yeah, there was a TSB about the rough shifting. The updated my PCM and said that should help. I think it did a bit but still I get a very hard shift for the first few blocks driving. It can't be good for the vehicle.
Is your truck tuned?

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
Hi all,
I have a 2019 Lariat w/all the toys. Very happy with it except the transmission. It seems to have gotten worse now that it's cold outside. After the truck has sat overnight and I drive it for the first time of the day. I start it, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and it doesn't go into gear right away. There's a delay.....then wait for it...CLUNK!!!

If you are not holding the brakes tight, the clunk is pretty massive when it finally decides to go into gear. I suppose I need to check to see if it happens going forward or if it's just reverse. Anytime you drive it for the rest of the day is fine, it won't do it again until it's been well cold soaked.

Could the tranny fluid be low? Anybody else experiencing this?
I get a clunk going from 3rd to 4th on cold takeoffs (in the morning after sitting all night). And know I think I'm experiencing the same kind of clunk when I reverse out of the driveway in the morning.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Something is definitely off. My truck doesn't get driven very much, purchased in July w/ less than 3k on the OD and I do not have this clunk or delay. Even after sitting for a week in snow....it fires right up and the shifts are fine. Get it to the dealer and hopefully its a simple software update. Good luck and let us know what they find!