odd clunk when turning left?

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have a similar noise. Left side clunk when turning left. Mine is more at parking lot speed. I figured the tire was hitting something but I dont see any signs of wear on the plastic or anything. The idea for the tie rod is a good one. I remember trying to torque the top and the ball was spinning from the back so I just got it tight and said good enough. May look at that again in the spring when the snow melts. Right now I have heard the clunk less than 5 times in 1 year of ownership.
Sponsored

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I rub a tiny bit on my left side when turning left onto an incline that compresses suspension. Driver side rides lower on these trucks and with my bigger tires that little bit of suspension compression causes me to rub a small amount on back side of wheel well.

The other thought that has been said is sway bar. Had a similar clunk once after modifying my suspension and forgetting to torque sway bar bolts back down to spec

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Does this happen in a left turn with an elevation change, like leaving a driveway onto the street? Put a strip of maskingtape on your crash bar. Your suspension being active while making the turn, may be causing the tire to rub the crash bar. It may need to be "pushed" back closer to the cab.

Frank

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
How much lift/level? Lifting/leveling the front changes geometry of all the suspension steering components.
Is it a one-time clunk when turning left, or is it a series of clunks while turning left? If it makes a noise only once, it's probably something that was in a bind turning loose, like a sway bar or tie rod link. If it is a continuous clucking noise while turning left, could be a bearing or CV joint going bad.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

JLC04

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FX4 Ranger, 2004 FX4 Ranger
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance Electrician
hey all my truck has started making an odd clunk when i turn to the left but here is the odd thing...
-it wont do it when stopped
-it wont do it in the air
-it wont do it at higher speeds
-it wont do it when really slow speeds
the truck only makes the sounds roughly at 10-20mph and turning left when the suspension is leaning. at first i thought it was my tire hitting the inner fender (the fabric bit of it) but i looked under as the truck was lock to lock and i have a lot of clearance so not that... then checked lug nuts (just for the off chance its loose) those are fine also... next thing to check is ball joint and other suspension parts with a pry bar and see if anything moves or what not..

information about the truck:
2022 fx4 leveled with eibach pro 2.0s that me and my buddy installed (not new to installing suspension btw) with 275/70/17 cooper st maxx the truck has roughly 10500 miles on it and its been leveled since 4000ish miles (ya i didnt wait to long). the noise didnt exist until recently when things got colder ive looked around on the truck at a few things but have yet to find anything that sticks out easily so tonight ill be pulling it into the garage and taking a look but wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this randomly show up on their trucks?

noise location:
only can hear and feel from the driver side (why i thought it was the tire hitting) it seems to be more of under the seat ish but at the same time i cant fully tell ill be honest it just seems to be either in the front or roughly below my seat

if anyone has had an issue like this or advice on what to look at let me know thanks.

36.jpeg
Stop turning left, make 3 rights instead.
1671634804067.png

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
1671634804067.png
There was an episode of MythBusters where they tested the idea that it was faster to get somewhere using only right turns. I don't remember the results (but I do remember Carrie).

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
just throwing it out there... I had a set of Eibachs and they lasted less than 5000 miles before clunking. it most likely isn't that. Try re-tightening EVERYTHING on your front suspension that was loosened or removed for the install. don't forget the bolts for alignment

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
1671634804067.png
I once worked with a guy who was afraid to make left turns and used the “three rights” rule. The Sales Managers hated doing their ride-alongs with him because of it and simply stopped doing them. Thinking back, I should had started doing that when they were riding along with me. ?

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
okay so a lot to catch up on since im a 2nd shift person and dont wake up when the sun is rising lmao hopefully i didnt miss anyone lol

I have a similar noise. Left side clunk when turning left. Mine is more at parking lot speed. I figured the tire was hitting something but I dont see any signs of wear on the plastic or anything. The idea for the tie rod is a good one. I remember trying to torque the top and the ball was spinning from the back so I just got it tight and said good enough. May look at that again in the spring when the snow melts. Right now I have heard the clunk less than 5 times in 1 year of ownership.
so idk about tie rod that would be an odd issue to have plus if it was a tie rod id imagine it would be like my tacoma and where the noise was happening no matter which way i turned
I rub a tiny bit on my left side when turning left onto an incline that compresses suspension. Driver side rides lower on these trucks and with my bigger tires that little bit of suspension compression causes me to rub a small amount on back side of wheel well.

The other thought that has been said is sway bar. Had a similar clunk once after modifying my suspension and forgetting to torque sway bar bolts back down to spec
so i dont rub at all i have a lot of clearance with my 32s so im not rubbing. plus i know what rubbing sounds like this is more like a thump like someone is hitting the under side of the truck or something is binding and popping so sway bar or leaf springs would make sense but i didnt see any issue with either
Does this happen in a left turn with an elevation change, like leaving a driveway onto the street? Put a strip of maskingtape on your crash bar. Your suspension being active while making the turn, may be causing the tire to rub the crash bar. It may need to be "pushed" back closer to the cab.

Frank
nah it only does it when the body rolls i cycled the suspension last night as well and no noise its only when the trucks body rolls with the turn so its most likely sway bar or leafs
How much lift/level? Lifting/leveling the front changes geometry of all the suspension steering components.
Is it a one-time clunk when turning left, or is it a series of clunks while turning left? If it makes a noise only once, it's probably something that was in a bind turning loose, like a sway bar or tie rod link. If it is a continuous clucking noise while turning left, could be a bearing or CV joint going bad.
its the eibach 2.0 kit i think it levels the truck at 2" or2.5"? i know its under 3" thou. and yes i know this its not my first time messing with suspension on a truck..

correct one time clunk i did record a video of it today finally and most including me think it sounds like something binding and then popping loose so either sway or leaf springs but the sway bar is tight and nothing appears to be broke from what i can tell...
Jacob,

0A35CFCF-1075-4E3C-AB52-8B7D3B11201C.jpeg

F6E09DD1-431C-4F7A-87AF-B3F9BAEE0C06.jpeg

If you stop jumping your truck, you won’t have nearly as many clunks.

;)
hey hey hey i havent jumped anything since the tacoma! ive been very easy on this truck lmao
That was his test run here's where he sends it! :shock:o_O

Raptor-Jump.jpg
sure in hell aint doing that with these little 2.0s lol id blow them out!
1671634804067.png
i dont think thats possible with how i go to work lmao
just throwing it out there... I had a set of Eibachs and they lasted less than 5000 miles before clunking. it most likely isn't that. Try re-tightening EVERYTHING on your front suspension that was loosened or removed for the install. don't forget the bolts for alignment
thats interesting since mine have been on for roughly that amount of time frame... i checked some last night but its rather cold so i went up stairs haha but everything was tightened and had Loctite put on it and the few things i checked they were all tight atm im suspecting the sway bar or leafs in the rear end but the noise is more towards the front so im guessing sway bar but its tight and not broken and i even checked with a pry bar and it wouldnt move like if it was lose or bad so i have no idea

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i did call my local dealer and they believe its a sway bar end link as well which i just find odd since it doesnt look broke? part of me wants to remove the sway bar and see if the noise goes away...

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
i did call my local dealer and they believe its a sway bar end link as well which i just find odd since it doesnt look broke? part of me wants to remove the sway bar and see if the noise goes away...
Sounds like an excellent troubleshooting next step to me :)

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like an excellent troubleshooting next step to me :)
yuuup if only it wasnt gonna be -2 and lower tonight haha my garage will be freezing! really need a heater for that damn thing!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
yuuup if only it wasnt gonna be -2 and lower tonight haha my garage will be freezing! really need a heater for that damn thing!
I have one similar to the one below. We use to use it all winter long for heating up the garages on the houses we were painting every winter back east. Just crack a window or door and fire it up and it'll warm up the garage in a few minutes. Now the lower ground area will still be cold (heat rises) but it's manageable to work in there. **Again make sure you vent the fumes and have a door or window open.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200930934_200930934

Propane Heater.jpeg
Sponsored