Transmission Clunk

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
12,500 miles on the truck now... clunking getting slightly worse. I work too much and need the truck so I haven't had the time to take it in to be looked at... I most notice it when parked uphill/downhill as it will do more often the dreaded clunk. 1-2 shift clunks at times..... 100% stock truck. Drive mode the truck drives like it has an awful tune on the engine and trans. In Sport mode while better and more peppy.... I would hope for something in between D and S mode for the trans tune at least.
Sponsored

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
Just hit 19,500 miles and the clunking is worse with 1-2 shift and especially Rev to Drive shift. The shift programming is horrible in D... but in Sport mode while more aggressive they are much better. This winter I'll take it in to get I'm guessing a new transmission.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is currently at the dealer and they gave me an update. Sounds like the dealership that performed the initial TSB for the rough transmission shifts only did a partial job. Thankfully I was smart enough to take it to a different dealer this time and they actually have a transmission guy that isn't weeks out. We'll see if performing the new TSB completely does anything...or if they figure out anything else. Will report back
Which dealer did you take it to in CO. Good and bad one?

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Same issue here. Every once in a while when going into reverse, no matter if the truck is warm or a fresh start I get a LOUD clunk. There is no constancy to when this happens. I would bring to the dealer, but I'm sure id get the usual "we could not duplicate the problem" answer. Does anyone know for sure if there is a TSB issue on this, or if there is a dipstick on these transmissions...

Last edited:

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport
Occupation
City Administrator
Hi all,
I have a 2019 Lariat w/all the toys. Very happy with it except the transmission. It seems to have gotten worse now that it's cold outside. After the truck has sat overnight and I drive it for the first time of the day. I start it, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and it doesn't go into gear right away. There's a delay.....then wait for it...CLUNK!!!

If you are not holding the brakes tight, the clunk is pretty massive when it finally decides to go into gear. I suppose I need to check to see if it happens going forward or if it's just reverse. Anytime you drive it for the rest of the day is fine, it won't do it again until it's been well cold soaked.

Could the tranny fluid be low? Anybody else experiencing this?
I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport and have the same clunk shifting at high speed. Seems at 70-75 mph if I go to pass it shifts very hard, startling hard, down and up. It has 38k miles and I had the PCM replaced at 34k as it went haywire and about killed the truck, was not drivable and blew black soot (back then). I’m afraid the shifting issue is hurting the transmission. I drove it to MN 8 hours this week no issue and then at 6 hours home it started this issue when passing. Dealer has been excellent.

Last edited:

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
City Administrator
I have a 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport and have the same clunk shifting at high speed. Seems at 70-75 mph if I go to pass it shifts very hard, startling hard, down and up. It has 38k miles and I had the PCM replaced at 34k as it went haywire and about killed the truck, was not drivable and blew black soot (back then). I’m afraid the shifting issue is hurting the transmission. I drove it to MN 8 hours this
IMG_1089.jpeg
week no issue and then at 6 hours home it started this issue when passing.
Update, system fail, again. Driving normal, starts throwing alarm, error displays: check engine, traffic sensor not functioning, check 4x4, etc etc.

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_1087.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1090.png

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
low battery voltage ? I think there is a thread on here with all those lights going crazy and it was a bad battery ... is yours the original battery ?

Last edited:

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
City Administrator
low battery voltage ? I think there is a thread on here with all those lights going crazy and it was a bad battery ... is yours the original battery ?
When I bought it in March it did this within 40 miles of the dealership. They said it was a battery sensor cable and replaced. Did it again a week later and they had it for 3 weeks and replaced the 4x4 PCM. Now it has happened again after a month. Same issues.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
When I bought it in March it did this within 40 miles of the dealership. They said it was a battery sensor cable and replaced. Did it again a week later and they had it for 3 weeks and replaced the 4x4 PCM. Now it has happened again after a month. Same issues.
Did they replace the battery ? They are known to act crazy after year 3 or so , you can check for codes if you have the adapter but you are due if thats the OG battery methinks , winters right around the corner sir! (i dont sell batteries , but damn it , maybe i should ?)

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
City Administrator
Did they replace the battery ? They are known to act crazy after year 3 or so , you can check for codes if you have the adapter but you are due if thats the OG battery methinks , winters right around the corner sir! (i dont sell batteries , but damn it , maybe i should ?)
Thanks, I’ll pass it on. Still warrantied. So aggravating for the money spent on this vehicle.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Thanks, I’ll pass it on. Still warrantied. So aggravating for the money spent on this vehicle.

Good chance a 2019 has had the dash pulled out for the AC box replacement , maybe something didnt get plugged back in good enough , its their baby if you have a warranty, but please keep us updated as we crave Ranger knowledge here ...
oh , one other Ranger that went crazy like that ended up being a chaffed wire inside the tilt steering column , one or two bare strands of copper causing all kinds of mayhem , once fixed , all good , as yours will be ...

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase