jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a intermittent clunk when turning left from the rear end. The truck only has 16,000mi and is not beat on. My mechanic did a quick inspection and didn't notice anything.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This usually indicates a possible issue with the spider gears or low oil in the differential. If your truck is equipped with it, make sure the electronic lock is disabled and check the fluid level. If it continues, try to get a video of it and take it in to the dealer for warranty.

OP
OP
jlarrabee104

jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I took a video. The sound is the "Clock Ticking Noise". Sounds oriented towards the rear of the truck
2019 Ford Ranger Noise

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Hmm... That sounds awfully hollow to be clunking spider gears. Sounds more like something tapping up against the sheet metal. Check for any loose cables, spare tire, or anything that might be rubbing or loose. If you can get it to do this pretty much every time, then see if they can have the service tech ride with you as you demonstrate it to them. Otherwise they will give you the oh so popular " cannot replicate reported issue " response.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
clunk and clock ticking noise are vastly different descriptions.
no wonder mechanics lose their minds and "cannot replicate"

That they are, and may not put the car/truck in the condition the owner does where the sound is made. Oh let's not forget the curse of the maintenance man. You know the one where your car has been acting up for weeks without fail and the second you drop it off at at the shop to be looked at it stops doing it. :angry:

Arsenal741

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Project Lead
I had a similar clunk today after putting on my summer wheels set which is the Ranger Raptor rims. Turns out it was the inside pinch weights rubbing on the knuckle. Can't believe the tolerances were that close. I'm interested to see if the offset of this rim is different than the stickers.
PXL_20210307_223414515.jpg
PXL_20210307_223419292.jpg

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Somewhere I read a warning that said to only use tape type weights for wheel balancing because of clearance issues. I looked at my wheel and tire placard but I didn't see the warning, so I'm not sure where I saw that. Maybe it is written on the inside of the rim? My factory wheels have the tape weights.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhere I read a warning that said to only use tape type weights for wheel balancing because of clearance issues. I looked at my wheel and tire placard but I didn't see the warning, so I'm not sure where I saw that. Maybe it is written on the inside of the rim? My factory wheels have the tape weights.
That’s correct, tape weights only. See pic.
2F06FAF0-B420-4620-907E-A02D8E604BCB.png

Jnanabase

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Nurse
Anyone have a intermittent clunk when turning left from the rear end. The truck only has 16,000mi and is not beat on. My mechanic did a quick inspection and didn't notice anything.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue?
No, but I have a slight shuddering when accelerating normally, it happens under 20 mph. Mine is a 2021 STX FX4.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
No, but I have a slight shuddering when accelerating normally, it happens under 20 mph. Mine is a 2021 STX FX4.
This is a known issue, search for transmission shudder, can also be the driveline.