Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, so you don’t find removing and installing it each time inconvenient?
Looks like cost between the two types is similar. Not sure if one style is more/less involved to initially install.
Brian
Hi Brian,

It takes me about 5 to 6 minutes of extra time, so in retirement...no biggie! and no bolt holes in the floor pan.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Hi Brian,

It takes me about 5 to 6 minutes of extra time, so in retirement...no biggie! and no bolt holes in the floor pan.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Copy that thanks again.
Brian

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I use the NSA Ready Brake tow bar with a Blue Ox baseplate. I also use the rvibrake charger for the Ranger battery.

The NSA is all mechanical with no modifications to the RV required unless you want the little dash indicator light. I have been using it since 2012.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute™_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html#:~:text=The Ready Brute Elite is equipped with non-binding,easier to unhook than other non-binding tow bars.
So many choices available. This one looks like it is one of the simplest and cheapest. Thank you for sharing.
Brian

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
I've been following this thread since its beginning to see if anyone has had serious problems towing the Ranger 4-down. I'm pleased to see there are very few if any problems.

I've towed my 2019 Ranger XLT 4-down behind my diesel motorhome for over 1800 miles so far with no problems.

I use a Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar with Roadmaster brackets on the Ranger. I had a shop install the brackets since I don't have the tools for installation. I previously towed a Jeep Liberty and used an Air Force One brake system that I removed and installed on the Ranger. Rather than break into the wiring system on the Ranger I use a wireless Towmate 22g for towed lights.

I don't have a charge wire installed since the brake system only uses power when the brake pedal is depressed and that is only to turn on the Rangers brake lights. So far the longest I've towed without starting the engine on the Ranger is two days.

I use a dumb key as previously mentioned to set the Ranger into towing mode.

As others have said once I start moving after hooking up the Ranger I turn fairly sharply and watch to make sure the wheels on the Ranger are turning. So far, no stupid mistakes.

Thanks for all the information posted on this thread.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I've been following this thread since its beginning to see if anyone has had serious problems towing the Ranger 4-down. I'm pleased to see there are very few if any problems.

I've towed my 2019 Ranger XLT 4-down behind my diesel motorhome for over 1800 miles so far with no problems.

I use a Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar with Roadmaster brackets on the Ranger. I had a shop install the brackets since I don't have the tools for installation. I previously towed a Jeep Liberty and used an Air Force One brake system that I removed and installed on the Ranger. Rather than break into the wiring system on the Ranger I use a wireless Towmate 22g for towed lights.

I don't have a charge wire installed since the brake system only uses power when the brake pedal is depressed and that is only to turn on the Rangers brake lights. So far the longest I've towed without starting the engine on the Ranger is two days.

I use a dumb key as previously mentioned to set the Ranger into towing mode.

As others have said once I start moving after hooking up the Ranger I turn fairly sharply and watch to make sure the wheels on the Ranger are turning. So far, no stupid mistakes.

Thanks for all the information posted on this thread.
I just looked up the towmate 22 light looks very easy and inexpensive. Where do you mount it on the tailgate of your Ranger? Has the magnet left any marks on the paint?
Thank you.
Brian

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tailgate is aluminum..
Magnet doesn’t stick to aluminum.

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
There is no place on the rear end of my Ranger to attach a magnetic light. I fabricated a mounting board that fits on the bumper so there is no contact with a painted surface.

I cut a 1 x 4 length of wood about 22 inches long to fit between the cut down portion of the rear bumper. Then attached. two electrical box covers for a magnetic attachment surface. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the board to take a 1/2" bolt cut down to 4-1/4" to go through the board and allow a fender washer, lock washer and nut to be attached from below. The head of the bolt with a washer on top of the board does not interfere with the bottom of the towmate.

IMG_20200713_092745.jpg

The 1/2" bolt goes through a piece of pvc pipe wrapped with masking tape to fit the inside of the tube under the bumper. I didn't have a piece of 1 x 6 for the board so I added pvc pipe fittings to the back side of the board to keep it from twisting side to side.

IMG_20200713_093405.jpg

IMG_20200713_093302.jpg

pete

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
I mounted a wireless light on the tonneau cover and it works well. A couple of 6 inch round steel plates were attached to the cover with screws and nuts. I like that it is high enough to be easily seen.

Rear with tow light small.jpg

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Pvsaint. I would have preferred that type of mounting but my cover is soft and won't support the light bar. All of my brake lights on the truck come on when I apply the brakes in the motor home so I don't worry about not having enough visibility for the brake lights. My mounting does reduce the visibility for the turn signals.

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
Just finished a 1600 mile trip from Oklahoma City through north to south central Colorado. The Ranger towed flawlessly.

8EF8347D-5FEF-430A-B25A-4C2BE3C4D644.jpeg
Nice septup how did that V10 perform on the hills. What was your highway speed? Did your MPH suffer greatly towing the Ranger. I have a very similar set up and expect to get 6-7 mph. I canceled all my western trips and plan to stick with the NE .

Dan W.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Oil & Gas industry
Nice septup how did that V10 perform on the hills. What was your highway speed? Did your MPH suffer greatly towing the Ranger. I have a very similar set up and expect to get 6-7 mph. I canceled all my western trips and plan to stick with the NE .
I have transitioned from 12 years of pulling a 7000 lb trailer with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I was really spoiled with that set up as the pickup did not have to work hard at all.

The V10 does have to work quite a bit harder and I find myself having to work the gas pedal again. I would say the bigger challenge is the RPM run up on the down hills when the tow haul function shifts you into lower gear.

However it’s a great set up and we really enjoyed our trip. I only checked mpg on the first stop and it was about 8.5.

hodges97

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
Above is my setup. Just returned from my first 1250 mile trip. No problems. Tows behind my 32 foot v10 like a dream. I weighed it with my tools, a full yetti cooler and a few other items. 4640 lbs. Well below my 5000 lb legal tow weight. I am using a Brake Buddy with a Blue Ox tow bar, a cheater charge wire to the battery and every night after a long day on the road, I always hook up a battery tender. Over doing it but it works.
Sponsored