First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
Can somebody explain the "dumb key" to me?
Sponsored

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Hi Brian,

It takes me about 5 to 6 minutes of extra time, so in retirement...no biggie! and no bolt holes in the floor pan.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you Phil it’s so helpful to hear from experienced people like you.
Brian

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Above is my setup. Just returned from my first 1250 mile trip. No problems. Tows behind my 32 foot v10 like a dream. I weighed it with my tools, a full yetti cooler and a few other items. 4640 lbs. Well below my 5000 lb legal tow weight. I am using a Brake Buddy with a Blue Ox tow bar, a cheater charge wire to the battery and every night after a long day on the road, I always hook up a battery tender. Over doing it but it works.
Great post and beautiful truck. Looks very similar to mine. We also have a 32 foot class A with a v-10 looking to have our Ranger set for flat towing next season.
Brian

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew XLT 4X4
Can somebody explain the "dumb key" to me?
It is the key fob where the key has been cut but the computer chip has not been programmed. This key will allow you to turn the ignition to accessories and on but you cannot start the engine.

hodges97

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
My ford dealer told me he couldn't cut the key. Where do I get a "dumb key?

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew XLT 4X4
My ford dealer told me he couldn't cut the key. Where do I get a "dumb key?
I got one from Amazon and then went to my local True Value and they cut the key.

AkRanger

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT HPR
Launching the assembled boat at the harbor. This was packed up in the back of the ranger for the trip South.

9302DF79-F9FA-4ADD-9A70-5D5DE45F2EBC.jpeg

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Finished my first extended tow a couple of weeks ago and all went well.

My setup is the Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with the integrated Ready Brake surge brake system. Also have the Roadmaster diode kit for the lights and have a charge line to the Ranger. Towing behind a class A motorhome on a 2019 Ford F53 26K GVWR chassis.

Tow was 1,000 miles where I unhooked the Ranger in the middle of the trip and again at the end. I did have one unusual indication each time exiting Neutral Tow. When exiting Neutral Tow I get a “Check Brakes” warning message in the dash display. I select OK, the message clears and no other message or warning is displayed. I have seen one other report of this on the irv2.com forum. Has anyone one on here seen this?
I had a local trailer company quote me on a very similar setup, using the Ready Brute Elite 2, Blue Ox baseplate, Blue Ox diode wiring kit and Ready Stop Break-Away. Are you using the RB Elite 1 or 2? Are you happy with the system? Any pertinent update to your previous post?

Does the Ready Brute use a bare cable to go from the tow bar through the firewall to the brake pedal, or is it inside a sheath like a motorcycle brake cable? Does the cable change the brake pedal feel when you are driving your Ranger?

Any reason to choose Blue Ox over Roadmaster for the base plate if I go with the Ready Brute system? I had looked on etrailer and had worked up a package using Roadmaster parts, including direct connect baseplate, Falcon 2 tow bar and InvisiBrake before this installer recommended the Ready Brute system, so I am kinda confused and overwhelmed at this point.

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had a local trailer company quote me on a very similar setup, using the Ready Brute Elite 2, Blue Ox baseplate, Blue Ox diode wiring kit and Ready Stop Break-Away. Are you using the RB Elite 1 or 2? Are you happy with the system? Any pertinent update to your previous post?

Does the Ready Brute use a bare cable to go from the tow bar through the firewall to the brake pedal, or is it inside a sheath like a motorcycle brake cable? Does the cable change the brake pedal feel when you are driving your Ranger?

Any reason to choose Blue Ox over Roadmaster for the base plate if I go with the Ready Brute system? I had looked on etrailer and had worked up a package using Roadmaster parts, including direct connect baseplate, Falcon 2 tow bar and InvisiBrake before this installer recommended the Ready Brute system, so I am kinda confused and overwhelmed at this point.
Cable is inside a sheath from front of car to brake pedal. Does not affect brake feel when driving. But some people do unhook cable at pedal when driving just to keep cable from kinking or something. I have ReadyBrake on my CMax and my New Ranger and have found them to be very reliable and effective. On my installations, I did not use their inner cable, replacing it with 3/32” stainless cable. If you don’t do that, at least thoroughly lube the inner cable’s full length before inserting it in the sheath.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Please keep us posted what you end up doing as far as which system you use.
I am going to be setting up our Ranger for flat towing in the spring.
Brian

Guioco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ranger XLT FX4
Please keep us posted what you end up doing as far as which system you use.
I am going to be setting up our Ranger for flat towing in the spring.
Brian
1 Week XLT/FX4 owner here. Just finished DIY install of Roadmaster direct connect base plate and universal wiring kit. Using with RVi Brake 3 and Falcon 2 towbar. Looking forward to first hookup!

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
1 Week XLT/FX4 owner here. Just finished DIY install of Roadmaster direct connect base plate and universal wiring kit. Using with RVi Brake 3 and Falcon 2 towbar. Looking forward to first hookup!
Good for you, congrats! That seems like a lot of work. How many hours did the install take?

Guioco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks ... All together about 6 hrs. Have to drop the bash plate and bumper. Running the wiring took a bit of time too. Just followed the etrailer videos.
Sponsored