Towing 4 Down

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
I picked up my new 19 ranger today from my Ford dealer. Part of the deal was he would install my stuff. New Blue Ox tow plate. New Brake away, New hot wire to keep the b attery charged. 12 volt plug for Brake Buddy. And diodes on the lights. I will try to hook up and give it a practice tow soon. But it looks good.
Sponsored

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I picked up my new 19 ranger today from my Ford dealer. Part of the deal was he would install my stuff. New Blue Ox tow plate. New Brake away, New hot wire to keep the b attery charged. 12 volt plug for Brake Buddy. And diodes on the lights. I will try to hook up and give it a practice tow soon. But it looks good.
Congratulations, why did you pick the Blue Ox system? I am going to have my Ranger set up for next year and am trying to understand pros and cons to the numerous options available.

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
Google “dinghy towing guide”. The guide is published each year by Motorhome Magazine and contains a great deal of useful information about towing 4 down.

hodges97

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
I chose blue ox because I'm married to it from years past.

RAS100

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD Lariat
Occupation
Retired
There are basically two different systems available: Blue Ox and Roadmaster. I went with Blue Ox and have used the same tow bar with three different cars. I like their website that lists basically every car/truck that can be flat towed and any special installation directions and issues with that vehicle. I wasn't sure about the Ranger installation and called Blue Ox. A real person answered and had the information I needed. The installation went well and I look forward to flat towing the Ranger when we leave Colorado in October. Both systems are well made and have their supporters. The Motorhome towing guide is a must read.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Google “dinghy towing guide”. The guide is published each year by Motorhome Magazine and contains a great deal of useful information about towing 4 down.
Thank you I actually subscribe to that magazine and have the guide. I just have learned over the years that it’s always best to hear from other customers who can give their opinions.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
There are basically two different systems available: Blue Ox and Roadmaster. I went with Blue Ox and have used the same tow bar with three different cars. I like their website that lists basically every car/truck that can be flat towed and any special installation directions and issues with that vehicle. I wasn't sure about the Ranger installation and called Blue Ox. A real person answered and had the information I needed. The installation went well and I look forward to flat towing the Ranger when we leave Colorado in October. Both systems are well made and have their supporters. The Motorhome towing guide is a must read.
Thank you for your input. Did you install yourself of have a shop do it? I could accomplish some of it but would not want to do any of the wiring.

RAS100

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had all of my baseplates installed - three different installs. I'm not a great mechanic though I did install my Bakflip bed cover recently without too many extra parts left over. The wiring was a bit of a challenge for my installer and he spent extra time on it. Since I use a "Brake Buddy" I needed two additional wires run through the firewall. As mentioned on this forum the 12 volt connection times out after 2 hours so you need a line directly from the battery and a new socket which my installer put under the driver's seat. No cutting needed on the Ranger but I lost my tow hooks. On the Blue Ox you could attach a tow cable to the two arms. Getting a good installer whichever system you go with is important. They're not easy to find and if you do they're usually booked up for weeks or months ahead so don't wait until the last minute to put the project together.

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew XLT 4X4
Silly question, never been in a position to flat tow a vehicle. I remember a while back seeing a video on going into the menu settings to put the truck in neutral to tow it. Something I do not remember it addressing is what do you do with the keys while towing it.

If you have an actual key (not push button start) do you leave it in the ignition so the steering wheel remains unlocked? Granted you want the steering wheel straight as can be, does it not matter if the steering is locked when being towed? I'm guessing leaving keys in ignition is not a good thing and that you are not required to leave them in the towed vehicle.

Hmm. My initial thought was steering wheel unlocked might help it while being towed for making turns. Then I thought if you hit a pothole with one of the front wheels that turns the steering wheel enough that may not be a good thing either.
I got a blank key fob and just had the key cut. I did not program the fob to be operational. This way you can turn the key to the on position and it will not start the engine.

gmadams

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew XLT 4X4
Hi Folks,

Just towed my Ranger behind our Diesel pusher motor home. Tucson area to Prescott on back roads. Ranger worked perfectly! Toe base plates from Roadmaster. Wiring of brake lights and turn signals worked as planned too! whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company. Retired
What braking system are you using and what did you use to power it since the power ports do not stay on?

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What braking system are you using and what did you use to power it since the power ports do not stay on?
Hi Gary,

I have an Even Brake and I ran a fused wires through the left 14401 wiring harness gromet into the cab for the breakaway switch and to a cigar lighter socket that is under the driver's seat to power the supplemental Brake system. I put a switch on the cigar lighter socket to be able to switch it on and off when not in use. Make Sense.

Best
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Hi Dan,

I tow without a charge line without draining the battery. A charge line can be fabricated quite easily and fuse at both ends. Commercial charge lines are available.

I ran a power line for the Add a Brake from the Ranger's battery through the wiring grommet on the driverside, fused at the battery to avoid the time out of the powerpoints in the Ranger. Tip-Pull a bundle of about 8 wires through the grommet for future use... It is a PITA to run the wires.

My brake-away module is at the front of the vehicle and the the wiring runs through the same grommet..

Should be no problem with driving the Ranger just prior to hooking up. Here is something I do...I leave a good distance from the RV with the tow bar. Then I set the parking brake and go through the process to put the Ranger in neutral tow mode with the transfer case in neutral. I then release the parking brake and then by hand push the Ranger forward. It should roll forward a foot or two freely...If it does not roll...repeat the neutral tow function.

We tow up to 70mph but I keep most times to 65mph or lower.

Towing 500 to 600 miles should not hurt the Ranger at all.

Hope this helps.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mr. Schike, what type of brake controller do you recommend? The portable one that go on the floor or a permanently installed one?
Thank you.
Brian

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mr. Schike, what type of brake controller do you recommend? The portable one that go on the floor or a permanently installed one?
Thank you.
Brian
Hi Brian,

It really depends on your personal preferences and the way you tow behind the RV. I chose portable as it suited our needs. It takes more time to hook up that a permanently installed one so if time is not your friend, permanent might be better. Great reviews on Air Force One. We have pretty much traveled the whole lower 48 using the Even Brake for the past 15 years. I did not want to drill any holes in my Rangers was a prime factor as well.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Hi Brian,

It really depends on your personal preferences and the way you tow behind the RV. I chose portable as it suited our needs. It takes more time to hook up that a permanently installed one so if time is not your friend, permanent might be better. Great reviews on Air Force One. We have pretty much traveled the whole lower 48 using the Even Brake for the past 15 years. I did not want to drill any holes in my Rangers was a prime factor as well.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you, so you don’t find removing and installing it each time inconvenient?
Looks like cost between the two types is similar. Not sure if one style is more/less involved to initially install.
Brian
Sponsored