Top Speed

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
I know it seems counter-intuitive to concern ourselves about top speed in a truck, I'd say the current Ranger is an exception. I've replaced a sedan with mine though I felt I needed the bed and towing capability. The motor/transmission provides a lot to work with in spite of aerodynamics, and I'm thinking some H-rated tires will be in my future. Disabling the speed limiter made me realize how very easy it is to 'get up there.' I can't rationalize when i'd need to, but having the safety margin of tires that can handle it seems... prudent.
Exactly, I've had cars that could climb past 130 easily, but today was the first day I really put that to the test. The tires I'm opting for next are going to be the Yokohama Geolandar G015. They're H rated all terrains. Not terribly expensive either. https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Also, I've read that if we're frequently doing high speed runs (on closed tracks, of course), it's best to invest in a driveshaft loop. I haven't yet, personally, but I will now knowing that it can easily climb past 120. Just a cheap insurance policy to prevent losing a drive shaft at high speed. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI-pGii8f86QIVGEmGCh2OYQrmEAQYAiABEgIcHPD_BwE
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Exactly, I've had cars that could climb past 130 easily, but today was the first day I really put that to the test. The tires I'm opting for next are going to be the Yokohama Geolandar G015. They're H rated all terrains. Not terribly expensive either. https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Also, I've read that if we're frequently doing high speed runs (on closed tracks, of course), it's best to invest in a driveshaft loop. I haven't yet, personally, but I will now knowing that it can easily climb past 120. Just a cheap insurance policy to prevent losing a drive shaft at high speed. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI-pGii8f86QIVGEmGCh2OYQrmEAQYAiABEgIcHPD_BwE
I read that point on the driveshaft loop elsewhere and agree. More insurance, and not outrageously expensive.

Reactions: Doc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, Addison, please let us know what you think of the Geolanders once you have them on. I am still running the stock Hankook ATM tires but am looking to upgrade soon....

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
Hey, Addison, please let us know what you think of the Geolanders once you have them on. I am still running the stock Hankook ATM tires but am looking to upgrade soon....
Will do! It'll be a bit, less than 10k miles on the factory tires. Can't justify spending the money just yet after buying the tune, exhaust, bov, and air filter lol

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Will do! It'll be a bit, less than 10k miles on the factory tires. Can't justify spending the money just yet after buying the tune, exhaust, bov, and air filter lol
Same here, I only have around 8,000 miles on them (mainly because we have been working from home since the pandemic started), and, yeah, after ponying up for a leveling kit and a tune, no way could I justify new tires before pushing the old ones at least into the twenties (thousands).

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
H rated tires are limited to 130mph. Sustained speed is defined as at X speed for an hour in a 100* room, according to SAE standards. Real world dynamics would lead me not to sustain over 130mph for more than 30 minutes.

But I have no need for that in a truck. 120mph is fast enough.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
My question is, where can you drive at a sustained 100+ here in the USA? If you say race track, you'd already know how to defeat the governor. Which, by the way, is easier than most folks realize. And...

I've seen 127 on the dyno a couple of times, but mine has Ford's Performance Tune with a few tweaks. Do I drive that fast? Heck no, as I have a few (smart) brain cells left.

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Account Manager
My question is, where can you drive at a sustained 100+ here in the USA? If you say race track, you'd already know how to defeat the governor. Which, by the way, is easier than most folks realize. And...

I've seen 127 on the dyno a couple of times, but mine has Ford's Performance Tune with a few tweaks. Do I drive that fast? Heck no, as I have a few (smart) brain cells left.
nice try, officer ;) Really though, none of us are advocating for sustaining 100+ in any car on any public road, HOWEVER, you've never had a cool night on an empty, well maintained road where you get curious?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Out here in the west. There are several long open stretches of road that we were on yesterday on Rt 89 from AZ-UT. I was traveling at 80-85 and in some areas people were passing me like I was standing still. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do but there are many areas of wide open roads out here compared to other parts of the country where you can easily get to 100.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Okay! Let the fines lay as they fall!

I have driven the truck a bit over 125 MPH! It was still pulling, but I ran out of road! This, with the governor disabled, decent fuel (91 octane), and 67° outside air temperature. But...

If any of you decide to do this, make sure you've done a bit of suspension stiffening. As in, rear sway bar, stiffer shocks, and better tires than Bridgestone all-terrain, stock tires! And don't forget a fine balance on whatever H rated (or better) tires you choose!

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Account Manager
Same here, I only have around 8,000 miles on them (mainly because we have been working from home since the pandemic started), and, yeah, after ponying up for a leveling kit and a tune, no way could I justify new tires before pushing the old ones at least into the twenties (thousands).
Finally ordered the set! Will let you know how they feel. Turns out when you're frequently launching a tuned, 2WD pickup with no weight on the rear, you burn through your tires (literally). Getting low on my factory Bridgestones at only 17,500 miles.

But just so everyone is aware, these trucks will exceed 140 tuned. My new record is 141. It pulls in 7th gear up to around 137mph, then grabs 8th and keeps on truckin' though I don't recommend giving it a try unless you have a long, flat area to do it (aka a track) and the tires to handle it. Also even the digital speedo stops at 130, so Waze was the only way to really track speed after.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Briefly saw 106 by GPS. It got up there a lot faster than I would have expected.

Did 125 once in my Crown Vic PI and it was about tapped out. The light bar probably held it back a little.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Okay! Let the fines lay as they fall!

I have driven the truck a bit over 125 MPH! It was still pulling, but I ran out of road! This, with the governor disabled, decent fuel (91 octane), and 67° outside air temperature. But...

If any of you decide to do this, make sure you've done a bit of suspension stiffening.
Not totally sure about default rear sway bars but I would agree suspension - not just dampening but lift/rake should be a big caution. Tires, alignment and pressure would need to be damn near perfect and the road straight, level and clear.

Having said that - and having the speed limiter switched off - I confess when the opportunity presented itself I did an impromptu 'test' and once I saw the speedo getting into the 120-ish range I got off the gas. The power was there, I couldn't be confident of aerodynamic stability, suspension reaction or sufficient braking at that point.

Trucks inherently aren't designed to be consistently driven this way unless a lot of specific engineering is put in.

Even though it was super easy to reach that speed I'd caution against it and likely won't attempt it again unless some extreme event 'required' it.

If I were to build a purpose-driven top speed truck (which doesn't make sense to me) it would involve a lot of serious modifications like what Doc is doing.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Not totally sure about default rear sway bars but I would agree suspension - not just dampening but lift/rake should be a big caution. Tires, alignment and pressure would need to be damn near perfect and the road straight, level and clear.

Having said that - and having the speed limiter switched off - I confess when the opportunity presented itself I did an impromptu 'test' and once I saw the speedo getting into the 120-ish range I got off the gas. The power was there, I couldn't be confident of aerodynamic stability, suspension reaction or sufficient braking at that point.

Trucks inherently aren't designed to be consistently driven this way unless a lot of specific engineering is put in.

Even though it was super easy to reach that speed I'd caution against it and likely won't attempt it again unless some extreme event 'required' it.

If I were to build a purpose-driven top speed truck (which doesn't make sense to me) it would involve a lot of serious modifications like what Doc is doing.
Yeah, before the mod, I took it to 122 , it felt squirrelly and very tippy.. problem solved ..
Regards
Doc

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol

Black Rock dry lake bed, I had mine right near 110 for about 20 minutes here. No wonder I only averaged 17mpg for that tank.

rlNpHur.jpg
Sponsored