OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I mounted my 265/70/17 K02 spare with the valve pointed down to be able to check the pressure and it fits great. Looked like there was 3-4" left in the circumference of the mount to get a bigger tire in. This is also an advantage because the valve side has a deeper dish and if mounted up, water that is splashed into it will sit there :)

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
BTW, the user manual is really unclear on where to insert the rod to crank it down. Where it looks like where you put it, there is what looks like a key hole.

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4; 2006 Jeep Wrangler X
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, the user manual is really unclear on where to insert the rod to crank it down. Where it looks like where you put it, there is what looks like a key hole.
You pop that piece out by unlocking it with your key. Look in and slightly to the left, there’s a cone there that the rod goes in to lower it down.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This, plus having to drop it is the perfect time to clean and lubricate the hoist and cable.
It's a painted chain... not a cable.

DSCF2490.JPG

Last edited:

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You pop that piece out by unlocking it with your key. Look in and slightly to the left, there’s a cone there that the rod goes in to lower it down.
Oh! Ok, thanks!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
This, plus having to drop it is the perfect time to clean and lubricate the hoist and cable.
Also gives you a chance to make sure it is still round, and not deteriorated to something like this....

y3rsgFaeCho_CPnB59in173RnaQlirHBflIR0e2Ooc0.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
He and his cars were on an episode of My Classic Car tv show several years ago.
Really remarkable !!!

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I like to keep the spare tire just the way it came from the factory. It's definitely not a bad thing to lower the tire from time to time to keep the lowering mechanism from "freezing" up - rust, deposits from road salt/road grime, etc. Don't want to find out the hard way that something locked up and now it's impossible to get the spare tire lowered. And . . . it will never happen in a convenient time and location!

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Discussion on this in this thread...

Spare tire?

I built up a matching Sport wheel and tire.

Shiny side up as I did not want the retainer bracket damaging the paint or the inverted wheel filling up with dirt.

I positioned the valve stem toward the right-rear corner. Easy to reach up and over with a small gauge for checks.
Yep I did the exact same thing! Ford gave me a steel spare even on an XLT.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I used something like this. Whenever I take it in to my dealer for "The Works", I ask them to check the spare and it's never been an issue for them.

1630686885454.png
OK, I like that approach... Amazon ( Flexible Valve Stem Extenders Stainless Steel )has them for $13 at a length of 12" and $10 at a length of 7" (set of 2)

If you used this product, do you have a recommendation which length works best??

PS: LOL... ZD Valve (Chinese) makes these.. and if this is the same ZD Value... I am optimistic about durability...
ZD Valve

Last edited:

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Yes!! I do it at least twice a year. Nothing worse than having a flat and not being able to access your spare in the middle of nowhere.
I know, I know, replying to myself, not usually a good sign :crazy:

I just got back from the bush and we had to Sawzall the spare tire off of one the trucks when going up because the spare tire mechanism seized up and broke.

Not fun when 80km's in and it's night. It took us 6 extra hours to get the truck at the camp since we had to leave the truck in the middle of the trail, drive 20km to go pick up some tools, go back to the stranded truck, fix it and then bring the truck back.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Not fun when 80km's in and it's night. It took us 6 extra hours to get the truck at the camp since we had to leave the truck in the middle of the trail, drive 20km to go pick up some tools, go back to the stranded truck, fix it and then bring the truck back.
That sound like that really sucked!
Sponsored