LT Spare tire

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I went out and looked at mine. I got the standard steels 16" Desert Duelers H/T on the truck and a aluminum spare wheel with 16" Dynapro same size. Ford owners manual says you may or may not find the rating of your tires in this manual. LOL So, the question is is it a temporary wheel and a temporary tire or what?
I went out and looked at mine. I got the standard steels 16" Desert Duelers H/T on the truck and a aluminum spare wheel with 16" Dynapro same size. Ford owners manual says you may or may not find the rating of your tires in this manual. LOL So, the question is is it a temporary wheel and a temporary tire or what?
I didn't know there was a 16" Aluminum wheel offered on the Ranger.
Mine(2WD) came with 17" Aluminum wheels and a 16" steel spare. the profile of the spare makes it a compatible full sized spare, but of course not usable as a replacement tire on the ground.

There are more than 50 vehicles which come with no spare tire at all.
I believe trucks are still required to have a fullsized spare.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to this thread I took a closer look at my spare today. I was thinking of getting a matching 18" wheel and mounting the spare tire along with a TPMS on it. I wanted to be able to do five tire rotations and be able just swap if I get a flat or have a blow-out. I now have 4-DynaPro ATM 265-60R18 tires from the upgrade package and 1-DynaPro ATM 265-65R17 spare on a steel wheel. At least the tire outside diameters are about the same.

When you order a wheel upgrade to 18", I expected you would be paying for all 5 tires to be identical for the $895 price charged. Maybe Ford doesn't buy 18" steel wheels.

It looks like I'll be rethinking that plan; either forget it or find someone who is selling individual matching wheels and tires after a wheel upgrade. It might be a long wait for the 2nd option. What do you guys think?
In 20 years of owning a ranger ive used the spare exactly one time. I don't worry too much about the spare other than to check it occasionally to make sure it is ok.

Personally i wouldn't go to the expense of getting a new wheel and tire.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
In 20 years of owning a ranger ive used the spare exactly one time. I don't worry too much about the spare other than to check it occasionally to make sure it is ok.

Personally i wouldn't go to the expense of getting a new wheel and tire.
Same experience here so I'm leaning in that direction. While searching I found the Ford Performance Raptor wheels on Ebay for $1050 with TPMS shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Ford-...768052?hash=item443e1b88f4:g:48MAAOSwmlJc5ayN

I'm tempted.

Last edited:

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I have the optional 18" rims with Dynapro ATM and my spare is a Dynapro HT.

Yes, it was dirty under there:)

spare.jpg
Hey I got that one too on my xl with 16” steelies.
38B37BF5-3B4D-4A0C-8E52-F701506F9D33.jpeg

50mph max. It looks like a regular tire, what gives? Why wouldn’t they just give me a matching 16” steelie?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Hey I got that one too on my xl with 16” steelies.
38B37BF5-3B4D-4A0C-8E52-F701506F9D33.jpeg

50mph max. It looks like a regular tire, what gives? Why wouldn’t they just give me a matching 16” steelie?
My theory is that they want an unmistakable difference in appearance to make it clear that there is no TPMS sensor in the spare..

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Tremor with LT265/70-17 tires. The spare is also a LT265/70-17 tire but on a steel rim.

FWIW, having owned a pickup continuously since I purchased my house in 1978 I have never used the spare on any of them.
Sponsored