Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
here the story, I had from the factory 18" tires installed for an extra $900. Had a front tire that kept going low so I went to the dealer one afternoon to get it fixed. The mechanic had me come out to the shop, you had a nail in the tire which caused the leak, BUT, if you look this lug is cut to the cord so the tire is bad, 13980 miles. I said take the tire on the spare rim and put it on the rim in front, OK, 5 min he came back the spare rim is a 17" the tire won't fit on the 18" rim, tire stores are closed so we will have to put the 17" spare tire on the front and we'll get a new tire tomorrow, ok, what else could I do. I did some errands got home taking a look at the tire the rim had a sticker on it that said, do not go over 50 mph, I had, and the mechanic said nothing. I could not find a 18" 6 hole spare rim any where. So here's the question, is Ford liable for damage to the front wheel gearing when driving on a 17' and 18" front tires when that's the only option they give a person. The first week in October I was in Arizona and the speed limit is high, hard to not be a hazard at 50 mph on the side of the road. How far should a person drive on two different size front tires, some of the strethes were over 100 miles. I believe Ford should have a 17" spare tire recall. I see most of the new Rangers have 18" tires do the all have 17" spares? What do the readers think
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
OD of the tire is the critical number not so much the size of the rim.
Whats the tire size on both?

Ford probably doesn't have a steely 18" for the ranger and didn't do a matching fullsize to save money.

Edit: Im convinced the 50 mph is BS. I saw that on mine when I flipped it over. Its a standard tire, no reason I can't do over 50.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Since I swapped all my factory tires and wheels out, I ordered an extra wheel and tire to match for the spare. I don't know anything about what could go wrong running on the 17" stock spare and didn't want to be in a situation where I'd have to rush to buy a new tire. My only concern now is the tread difference and if I can rotate it properly in the mix to keep it somewhat even. Good luck to you with your situation.

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
My truck came from the factory with 18" rims and my spare tire is a 17". I just figured if the diameter was the same I'd be OK.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I suspect that the 50 MPH sticker is on the spare because it is not the same size as the other wheels. The truck will not handle well with mismatched tires. I also have five matching wheels and tire, with TPMS sensors in all of them. The only reason to keep the mismatched spare is to save up-front money. I’d rather do five tire rotations and actually use the tires that I paid for.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I suspect that the 50 MPH sticker is on the spare because it is not the same size as the other wheels. The truck will not handle well with mismatched tires. I also have five matching wheels and tire, with TPMS sensors in all of them. The only reason to keep the mismatched spare is to save up-front money. I’d rather do five tire rotations and actually use the tires that I paid for.
All 5 of mine are 265/65R17, just figured I would mention.

Don't know about others though.

Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
All 5 of mine are 265/65R17, just figured I would mention.

Don't know about others though.
Mine came from the factory with five 265/65R17 tires.

However, wheels are four 17" Sport wheels and a 16" spare steel wheel.

Ranger Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I noticed this awhile back so I decided to take the spare off and put it beside the other and it is very close. On my truck the regular tire is 255/65R17 and the spare is 255/70R16.
Screenshot_20200914-171649_Photos.jpg

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
So trucks that came with 18" tires got a 17" spare, and ones that came with 17" got a 16"?

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
OD of the tire is the critical number not so much the size of the rim.
Whats the tire size on both?

Ford probably doesn't have a steely 18" for the ranger and didn't do a matching fullsize to save money.

Edit: Im convinced the 50 mph is BS. I saw that on mine when I flipped it over. Its a standard tire, no reason I can't do over 50.
I worked with a guy that put 30K on a donut spare. Highway speeds and all. Probably could have gotten more out of it but it caught on fire when one of the families of wildlife that lived in it chewed some wiring. I am serious as a heart attack on this.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
So trucks that came with 18" tires got a 17" spare, and ones that came with 17" got a 16"?
If any, not all, and 2019 may be different than 2020. My 2020 Lariat 4x4 (non-FX4) with chrome package came with 18” road wheels and a 16” spare.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
If any, not all, and 2019 may be different than 2020. My 2020 Lariat 4x4 (non-FX4) with chrome package came with 18” road wheels and a 16” spare.
OK, just looked like that was the direction this was going so I couldn't resist asking. Thanks

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a nail in my 285 once...replaced it with my stocker 265 and drove 5 miles to the tire shop...had all kinds of sensor errors...

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I said take the tire on the spare rim and put it on the rim in front, OK, 5 min he came back the spare rim is a 17" the tire won't fit on the 18" rim, tire stores are closed so we will have to put the 17" spare tire on the front and we'll get a new tire tomorrow, ok, what else could I do. I did some errands got home taking a look at the tire the rim had a sticker on it that said, do not go over 50 mph, I had, and the mechanic said nothing.
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't think I have ever seen a spare tire that didn't have a speed and/or distance restriction. I would assume (yes I know about "assume"ing) that since the spare was used, that it would have limitations of one sort or another....but that's me ?‍♂

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't think I have ever seen a spare tire that didn't have a speed and/or distance restriction. I would assume (yes I know about "assume"ing) that since the spare was used, that it would have limitations of one sort or another....but that's me ?‍♂
So you've really never had a full service spare? It's not like an imaginary thing.
Sponsored