First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I suspect that the 50 MPH sticker is on the spare because it is not the same size as the other wheels. The truck will not handle well with mismatched tires. I also have five matching wheels and tire, with TPMS sensors in all of them.
Has anyone corroborated this?

I have put a fifth matching tire on the steel 17” that came as the spare for my 17” Al wheels. I Would like to comfortable drive highway speeds home when needing to one day.

And also- anyone know how much it would cost to get a fifth stock 17” fx4 wheel so I could put my spare into the rotation?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm that if you have up sized your tires (285 in my case), mounting a smaller OEM spare tire will trigger all kinds of bells and whistle warnings...

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I can confirm that if you have up sized your tires (285 in my case), mounting a smaller OEM spare tire will trigger all kinds of bells and whistle warnings...
Which warnings appear ?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I bought a FX4 17" wheel to replace my Sport Package spare that came with a 16" wheel.
The PN is: KB3Z-1015-B
I believe that it listed for around $238.00, but I used my Ford Pass dollars to order it.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I assumed that the minimum wheel size for the ranger was 17. Never occurred to me a 16 would fit. I was planing on putting a full sized BFG ATKO on the spare rim when I got them put on the truck. That way I'd have a full sized matching tire and if I lost one on the trail, I wouldn't be limping out of a bad situation with a weak tire.

Now I have to wonder if a full sized ATKO will fit under there?

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone corroborated this?

I have put a fifth matching tire on the steel 17” that came as the spare for my 17” Al wheels. I Would like to comfortable drive highway speeds home when needing to one day.

And also- anyone know how much it would cost to get a fifth stock 17” fx4 wheel so I could put my spare into the rotation?
The answer to this kind of question will only ever be "It depends" . A certain vehicle with a certain set of wheels and tires will behave a certain way at certain speeds. Replacing one wheel with a spare that is approximately the same may change this behavior in a way that is less predictable/controllable at higher speeds. So the way to prevent any unintended consequences is to either have a 100% matching spare or limit your speeds to a range in which vehicle behavior is predictable and easily controlled. Driving less than 50 mph will generally leave you with plenty of time to react to any mishaps.

A good rule of thumb is to just drive safely as the road or traffic dictates. I drove on my spare ~15 miles at 50-70 mph because that's what was safe in that flow of traffic.

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
17 inch with 16 inch spare on my 2019 XLT SuperCab

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I bought a FX4 17" wheel to replace my Sport Package spare that came with a 16" wheel.
The PN is: KB3Z-1015-B
I believe that it listed for around $238.00, but I used my Ford Pass dollars to order it.
is that this kind of wheel? i dont remember what package we have. but we have fx4 17" alloy wheels. this would definitely be worth 238 for me.

IMG_0841.JPG

so you are saying that mounting a full size tire on this wheel still fits fine in the spare spot? i assume the spare tire carrier area isnt selective about what wheel size/shape..

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Noticed the 50 mph sticker on the factory steel spare,and yes it’s due to a different style tire,which for liability sake almost mando’s the placard.
‘When I swapped to the 285’s and Method wheels,I popped for the fifth matching wheel tire combo,that way I can include it in the rotation process as well.
No more miss match concerns..

Last edited:

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
"is that this kind of wheel? i dont remember what package we have. but we have fx4 17" alloy wheels. this would definitely be worth 238 for me. "

My Sport Package 4x4 came with a 16" plain silver steel wheel.
The FX4 comes with a 17" plain black steel wheel.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I'm on my spare. Tires are 265/60/18. The spare is 255/70/16. Was going to do a couple of hundred miles on it today but too nervous I'll fuck something up...so mother in law's car it is :rolleyes:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Funny this thread came up again. This weekend I was just thinking about going to a full size tire (I upgraded my tires to the largest no lift no rub size) and wheel under the truck. Was going to start looking around for salvage yards and other places that might have just one wheel and aesthetic condition was not important.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Funny this thread came up again. This weekend I was just thinking about going to a full size tire (I upgraded my tires to the largest no lift no rub size) and wheel under the truck. Was going to start looking around for salvage yards and other places that might have just one wheel and aesthetic condition was not important.
I replaced mine with a larger tire last year before our UT trip but left the steel wheel on. Here's a place that has OEM wheels pretty reasonable, some are in better condition than others.

https://www.oemwheelshop.com/search?type=product&q=2020+Ranger

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
What size tire did you throw on the little steely?