Think I Threw a Rod....

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I would contact 5 star and just see what they say, I wouldn’t push them as much as Ford because I would agree it’s probably mechanical but not tune, but you did purchase a warranty from them, the worst they can say is no too
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No sir.. I haven’t received anything from Ford about the oil pump... All I’ve heard is “all the mods”
I explained, to everyone... that I believe to pay to play... I’m not trying to do a song and dance to try and tip toe through a warranty issue... what I’m stating, is that I don’t believe it’s the “Mods” that caused the failure... I believe that Ford is throwing the blanket “all the mods” to void the warranty... I understand that modifying my motor at any point, voids the warranty... but if you, knew in your heart, that the oil pump failed, to throw me the “low oil pressure light” would you man up as a company, and fix it, or just blame the ”All the mods??” The first thing I was asked was, “did you get a check engine light??” The yellow thing that looks like an engine?? NO, I didn’t... I don’t believe anything that 5 Star sold me or did for me, broke my engine... that’s why I will not pursue anything blaming 5 Star... This truck ran flawlessly with their tune and every mod I purchased through them... I will pay to play...
Hi Shane,

I understand your position on getting things repaired.... Now the burning question is root cause...hopefully this can be determined and the dealer will work with you honestly on the cause determination.

Good luck getting running again!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I still would contact 5 star. Worst they can say is no. I'm not sure why you would opt to pay out of pocket if you potentially don't have to. If Ford is saying it was the "mods" that blew it, then have the mod company pay for it. I can understand not trying to pin something on them if it wasn't their fault, but at this point, do you have proof it was not the tune's fault? If their warranty is as good as they advertise, then they should step up regardless.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi Shane,

I understand your position on getting things repaired.... Now the burning question is root cause...hopefully this can be determined and the dealer will work with you honestly on the cause determination.

Good luck getting running again!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
mmmm recall reading something somewhere about some Ford connecting rods bearing a stamp " made from genuine recycled steelcase cabinets" :crazy:

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
. but if you, knew in your heart, that the oil pump failed, to throw me the “low oil pressure light” would you man up as a company, and fix it, or just blame the ”All the mods??”
I'll just point out that your methodology in this matter is so scattered and devoid of facts that it would be very difficult for any dealership to be able to take action and "work with you" on this. (or at least the way you present the matter here)

For the record, I don't associate my feelings with mechanical function and no dealership or business should be basing their repair centers operation on "manning up" or feelings.

Let's be practical here, obviously the dealer "just knows in the bottom of it's heart" that your tune was the problem. Case closed. Boy, feelings can work both ways, perhaps a better system is needed? Or is it your feeling that using a feeling-based system only works where the customer is allowed feelings and the dealership is denied their feelings? Not sure how I feel about that system.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I feel there are too many feelings and not enough facts.
Lets see some pics of parts.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
mmmm recall reading something somewhere about some Ford connecting rods bearing a stamp " made from genuine recycled steelcase cabinets" :crazy:
Hi dtech,

I wonder if the con rod snapped and thus no oil pressure as the big end was still attached to the rod journal Then the motor was 3 cylinder for a moment, re the noise and a rod piece exiting the oil pan before op had a clue what happened. That also implies the block is trash as it is unlikely the cylinder wall was left unblemished beyond repair.

There is a reason I ran Carrillo rods in my race engines....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi dtech,

I wonder if the con rod snapped and thus no oil pressure as the big end was still attached to the rod journal Then the motor was 3 cylinder for a moment, re the noise and a rod piece exiting the oil pan before op had a clue what happened. That also implies the block is trash as it is unlikely the cylinder wall was left unblemished beyond repair.

There is a reason I ran Carrillo rods in my race engines....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Have to assume that Ford probably has a very good idea of what part is likely to fail under high load conditions - perhaps a connecting rod or excessive force on a bearing. Seems like most on here are wishing it turns out well for the OP and he is appreciative of that.
It is pretty amazing how sophisticated mfg processes and quality control is today, as well as very accurate/capable design with all the programs and computer modeling.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for thoughts and process.. Never had a motor blow on me before, so I’m just puzzled... I’ll be contacting 5 Star, to see what they say about the warranty etc... When I receive pics etc, I’ll post them... Tried calling them this morning, think the cold front coming through, has everyone staying home... We have snow in League City TX :oops:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Tried calling them this morning, think the cold front coming through, has everyone staying home... We have snow in League City TX :oops:
hearty chuckles I haven't seen the grass since beginning of december. I really hope this gets sorted out. if not, all I can say is bigger ecoboost built for hard core tuning no replacement for displacement
Sponsored