First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Usually like an autopsy - pictures taken and if necessary failed parts sent to Ford for analysis, someone posted a warranty flow chart upstream in the thread, Ford has the right to deny warranty based on the presence of mods, owner has the right to request tear down of the engine and takes the gamble that the teardown will show - conclusively - that the failure was caused by something other than the mods, if the root cause cannot be determined to be other than the mods then the claim is denied.
I'm sure occasionally a stock engine fails while in warranty and Ford keeps records of the cause and in this case one has little choice but to rely on their honesty in the proceedings. OP likely has pictures of the teardown.
Since the tuner supplier was following this thread, the OP may be wise to keep some info confidential.
I know for a fact Ford has a warehouse that warranty parts failure get sent to for further examination. It’s the graveyard that talks!
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yes, very clear. And nowhere in there does it say that installing a tune will itself invalidate the warranty.
What part of non-Ford software is not clear?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
its in the whats not covered section, thats invalidating it...reading comprehension 101
No, it's not. See below, then see the registrar about signing up for that reading comprehension 101 class.
What part of non-Ford software is not clear?
It specifies that damage resulting from installation of the non-Ford software is not covered. Installation of a non-Ford tune does not itself invalidate the warranty (which is the claim that was made). The warranty just doesn't cover damage caused by said non-Ford tune. That is a very important distinction.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
To everyone watching this thread, I have an update.... Ford has declined my warranty, due to “all of the mods..”.... So I’m going to get the number, of who’s Ford Dealer is talking to, and have them explain to me, “which mod caused my oil pressure light to come on and seize my engine?? I feel my oil pump failed, and they want to paint a broad brush for the failure, to blame it on the mods... I requested pictures etc... I’ll post them as I get them... my wife said the lady she has been talking too, said there was a hole in the bottom of the engine... But I lost oil pressure, before I heard oil being released.... I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more...
I would think the trucks computer would show the oil light prior to engine fail ??‍♂

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
if it’s like the car company I worked for you would be surprised at everything the control unit captures.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Shane,

Elevate your fight with Ford Customer Care to Manager level. This problem is not huge and it would be turned over to a TX law firm to handle. It needs to get to a level that is allowed to negotiate with you...lower levels will just regurgitate the company line.

Write a letter to our CEO, Jim Farley...he will never see the letter but it will get buckslipped to VP of Product Development...who will send it down to one of his/her subordinates. You are not out of spit with Ford yet, IMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
To everyone following this thread, I appreciate everyone’s tenacity on their beliefs... I understand the “Pay to Play” rule... I’ve modified every vehicle I’ve ever owned, and never had this happen... I have an APR Tuned 2+ Golf R, all wheel drive.. I can play with Mustangs and Chevy’s every day if I want to... but I also believe in a firm hand shake, and keeping your morals.... I’m prepared to pay up the full price, if Ford doesn’t cover it... I had a low oil pressure alarm come on while it started knocking loudly... what I don’t like, is that Ford is claiming “all the mods” caused the failure... In my heart of hearts, I will not blame 5 Star Tuning... This truck ran flawlessly during the entire 15,000 miles I had their tune.... I will replace the engine financially on my own, and will flash it again with the same 5 Star Tune.... ??? Until I hear more or receive pics, I’ll keep you updated...

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey I dont blame you on that. I know if i mod my vehicles I wouldn't go after a company for it unless its truly their fault. Plus if I was in this situation I would see it as an excuse to put a different engine in the ranger

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My wife just replaced my Hyundai Elantra rental, with a 2020 black on black Ford Mustang Convertible EcoBoost, 2.3 4 cylinder... I’m gonna go flash it with a 5 Star Tune and enjoy my rental, and date nights ??

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My wife just replaced my Hyundai Elantra rental, with a 2020 black on black Ford Mustang Convertible EcoBoost, 2.3 4 cylinder... I’m gonna go flash it with a 5 Star Tune and enjoy my rental, and date nights ??
Pictures doing donuts or it didn’t happen! ?

5BDA2DB3-F713-4C3D-B8C0-5541D42489C3.gif

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Before you flash that mustang....
Possibly, a different motor than the mustang?
“There is a thread on this forum (link below) that shows some of the engineering differences that the Ranger engine has. The head/top of the block is more like the RS engine, the inlet is basically the same as the Mustang. The sump and oil pump setup is unique to the Ranger.
The other known major unique parts are the oil cooler/filter setup and the electronically controlled wastegate (wastegate =/= blow off valve, the wastegate is in the turbine side, the CBV is in the compressor side).

I'd imagine the compressor bypass valve is the same part common to all of the 2.3 EBs. PS it isn't a blow off valve, it is a re-circulation valve.

Be warned that the way airflow is measured in these engines means that letting air out of the system at the turbo can cause fuel metering issues. It most likely won't be enough to throw a code as it doesn't in the RS etc, MAF is measured up near the air filter in the piping.”
Regards
Doc

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Before you flash that mustang....
Possibly, a different motor than the mustang?
“There is a thread on this forum (link below) that shows some of the engineering differences that the Ranger engine has. The head/top of the block is more like the RS engine, the inlet is basically the same as the Mustang. The sump and oil pump setup is unique to the Ranger.
The other known major unique parts are the oil cooler/filter setup and the electronically controlled wastegate (wastegate =/= blow off valve, the wastegate is in the turbine side, the CBV is in the compressor side).

I'd imagine the compressor bypass valve is the same part common to all of the 2.3 EBs. PS it isn't a blow off valve, it is a re-circulation valve.

Be warned that the way airflow is measured in these engines means that letting air out of the system at the turbo can cause fuel metering issues. It most likely won't be enough to throw a code as it doesn't in the RS etc, MAF is measured up near the air filter in the piping.”
Regards
Doc

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/
Doc, that’s good to know... all my VW’s release back into the intake, for proper fuel measuring... If you used a blow off valve to atmosphere, it would throw a code... ?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
AFAIK, these engines don't have a MAF sensor?

Also, tunes are usually married to your specific ECU so I don't think you can flash any old tune on any car. Just speculating here.
Sponsored