The next generation Ranger info

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
If you keep on waiting for the next best thing, you will always be waiting. There will always be something bigger/better/faster in the pipeline. Just enjoy your vehicle and stay away from automotive media outlets.
Sponsored

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
If you keep on waiting for the next best thing, you will always be waiting. There will always be something bigger/better/faster in the pipeline. Just enjoy your vehicle and stay away from automotive media outlets.
^^^^^^^
Well said!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
That makes sense to a point. The current Ranger, while very attractive and nicely sized, is both old (so you really aren't waiting that long "for the next best thing") and only has a single drive/powertrain option (aside from 4x2 vs 4x4). As Ford has noted many times, the current Ranger was not designed for our market, so this is truly a stop gap option. I just bought a 2018 Jeep GC SRT, which is also towards the end of its lifecycle. Unlike the Ranger however, I think the current GC is perfect in pretty much all ways for a SUV. And I personally think FCA will screw up the next gen GC in some way. My thoughts are the complete opposite for the Ford and the Ranger. I would just rather wait for a model that is actually designed with our market in mind. Seems reasonable to me.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
A new platform with an available Raptor (potentially V6-powered) for the US.
Nice. In my honest opinion, I don't think a V-6 option will ever happen for the Ranger especially with the two current 4 cylinders (2.3 and 2.7). More then that would be greatly overpowering the Ranger. The owners would love it but I can't see Ford doing it... BUT, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Nice. In my honest opinion, I don't think a V-6 option will ever happen for the Ranger especially with the two current 4 cylinders (2.3 and 2.7). More then that would be greatly overpowering the Ranger. The owners would love it but I can't see Ford doing it... BUT, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.
The 2.3L is the largest 4 Cylinder EB engine Ford offers. The next size up, the 2.7L is a small V6. GM has a 2.7L 4 cylinder.

Honestly a 2.7L EB would make a lot of sense in the Ranger as a Raptor variant. The F-150 Raptor would need to become more powerful otherwise the Ranger Raptor would gain the power/weight ratio advantage.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
Oh crap, I knew that. My bad.

Would a small V6 even fit in a Ranger?
Think of it this way: Toyota, Nissan, and GM can all stuff a V6 (3.0L+) in their midsized offering. There's no reason why Ford couldn't develop a similarly sized midsizer that also offers a V6.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not very familiar with how Ford does their Model Year updates. Do you guys expect there to be ANY changes for MY 2020? Or will they just make some options standard. It would be worth waiting to me if they would do any of these things:

- make rear seat 60/40
- add a 360 degree camera
- make cruise control full stop/go

It’s not a very long wait at this point I don’t think? When do you think we will know any updates? 2020 ordering open expected in June?

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I’m not very familiar with how Ford does their Model Year updates. Do you guys expect there to be ANY changes for MY 2020? Or will they just make some options standard. It would be worth waiting to me if they would do any of these things:

- make rear seat 60/40
- add a 360 degree camera
- make cruise control full stop/go

It’s not a very long wait at this point I don’t think? When do you think we will know any updates? 2020 ordering open expected in June?
I read somewhere in this forum that 2019 ordering closes in early March, 2019. I would assume MY 2020 would begin shortly after that.

In addition to your options, I'm hoping they add:

A 6' bed option for the crewCrew (not likely)
Power rear window (likely)
Moon roof

Should know in the next 3/4 months.

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
So, if I was a guy who ordered a 2019 Ranger, waited 4-6 months for it, and paid $40k+ for it when it finally arrived, and then 30 months later Ford dropped a truly all new Ranger, on an all new platform, with the 2.7L option and a Raptor variant.... I gotta' say I'd be ticked off.

I may have to wait and see what additional info comes out later this year.
Your comment makes a lot of sense if you’re in a position to wait.
Howevere a lot of us have leased our current vehicules (prior to our new Ranger) and for me this is perfect timing. I jump into a proven commodity (current Ranger platform), drive it for 4 years and then trade it in for the new platform ... by then on it’s second year of production and thus better dialed in. My 2 cents anyway!

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
This is not the same Ranger sold throughout the world. I don't see what some people are waiting for.This truck has proven it self and has been modified for the US market.My truck is coming in early march, this will be my third Ranger. The other two were XLT's super cabs and five speed manuals. My new truck will be lightning blue,fx4,crew cab lariat.
Sponsored