The next generation Ranger info

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
There is a guy who apparently works for Ford and commented on the development of the Bronco in the sister forum to this one @ https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/index.php?threads/u725-2021-my-ford-bronco-information.579/

In his comments he also posted this about the new Ranger:

The next Ranger (P703), not the latest P375N will use the frame of the new Bronco, in some 33-36 months. The P703 launch is tenative for late 2021-22. That will offer the Ranger Raptor for USDM, the P375N was not developed with the Raptor in mind. P703 will be.

Apparently it will share the same platform as the Bronco (not what the current Ranger has) and it is this platform that will also include the new Ranger Raptor...
Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
This guy does seem to know his info. He posts on the Tacoma forum as well occasionally, talking about updates and such.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Hopefully, in a few months he will know what minor updates are scheduled for the 2020 Ranger.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
It's pretty well understood that most cars receive major refreshes or model changes every 3-5 years, so a vague post saying that the next Ranger is 3 years away isn't exactly surprising or earth shattering. Ford is especially quick to update their trucks, so I would be more surprised if I read a post saying nothing new is coming in the next 36 months.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So, if I was a guy who ordered a 2019 Ranger, waited 4-6 months for it, and paid $40k+ for it when it finally arrived, and then 30 months later Ford dropped a truly all new Ranger, on an all new platform, with the 2.7L option and a Raptor variant.... I gotta' say I'd be ticked off.

I may have to wait and see what additional info comes out later this year.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
So, if I was a guy who ordered a 2019 Ranger, waited 4-6 months for it, and paid $40k+ for it when it finally arrived, and then 30 months later Ford dropped a truly all new Ranger, on an all new platform, with the 2.7L option and a Raptor variant.... I gotta' say I'd be ticked off.

I just don't see it that way...I got a very nice truck with the latest tech on a platform that has more than proven it's self in the global market.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't see it that way...I got a very nice truck with the latest tech on a platform that has more than proven it's self in the global market.
The other thing I think of is that although this truck is "new" for North America, all of the parts have been proven elsewhere (2.3 EB and the 10 speed transmission chiefly). That is HUGE for me. They say never buy year 1 of a new vehicle due to issues needing to be worked out. This Ranger (in my opinion) does not suffer from that - it is mostly a known quantity. The biggest challenge is ramping up production.

So instead of having a new vehicle in 3 years, you are looking at at least 4 years now. For me, that is WAY too long to wait. I need a new vehicle soon.

EDIT: I guess we are kind of saying the same thing, just in different ways.....

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4

I was actually kinda betting on them going away from the global ranger, which is what I wanted, so I think it's a bit of a risk to wait. I think the Raptor is cool, but I'm not going to spend $50k+ on a truck, let alone the stupid ADM all the dealers are going to have on them initially (local Raptors are $6-9k STILL). Every time ford has come out with a new F150 it is a little 'softer' & more docile, arguable a better truck for the US market....but a little further away from the older rough and tumble trucks. I wanted what the rest of the world got, I spent some time in AUS and fell in love with them.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
I sort of wonder why Ford decided to bring the Ranger back right at the tail end of the its lifecycle. The more I hear about the next Ranger, the less I'm interested in the current version. And unless you absolutely must get a new vehicle right now, seems like the better move would be to wait 2.5 yrs. The standard life cycle is what, 5-7 years? And the last ranger in the US was a bazillion years old. To me, it just seems like a better move to wait.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I sort of wonder why Ford decided to bring the Ranger back right at the tail end of the its lifecycle. The more I hear about the next Ranger, the less I'm interested in the current version. And unless you absolutely must get a new vehicle right now, seems like the better move would be to wait 2.5 yrs. The standard life cycle is what, 5-7 years? And the last ranger in the US was a bazillion years old. To me, it just seems like a better move to wait.
You said: ..."The more I hear about the next Ranger..."

What have you heard?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think they are trying to capitalize on a market segment that seems to be very popular right now. Waiting another 2-3 years will just keep them out of the market that much longer. That to me makes a lot of sense - from a business standpoint. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do it sooner. It isn't like the market hasn't been growing for the last several years.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, and the timeframe you are looking in. For me, this is the right time to buy the truck, and everything I've read and heard and experienced thus far tells me I'm going to be very happy with it. If I opted to wait for the new version, to get one with the initial bugs worked out I think you are realistically looking at another 4 years of waiting. I will be doing a 3 year lease on mine, with the expectation that I will be buying out the lease at the end of the term. If the new Ranger is truly the be all, end all, I could possibly turn in mine and buy a new one. But I doubt that a new one is going to have anything so much better than this one does.- at least for me.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

I agree, I’ve been concerned too. We just need to watch the news on it. At some point during the ordering process this year, your dealer will let you know if your truck will be a 2019 or a 2020.
However, I seriously doubt that with the BILLION dollar investment Ford made to the factory to be able to make the Ranger, that there will be any major changes any time soon. Additionally, the Bronco is to be producted at the same factory on the same platform.
I am sure any changes would be content and equipment (hopefully sunroof, vented seats, power rear window, etc)

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
If I had to wager a guess, it's to get a toe in the market before GM and Toyota completely own it. I can't count how many Tacomas I see on my 15 min commute to work. If Ford wants a piece of that 2.5 years from now with a new rig, they need to start getting market share now and stop losing Ford / previous Ford owners to other brands. When the new rig comes out I'm guessing they want an established base of Ranger owners with an established aftermarket to support the vehicle. I think bringing in the global ranger (with a few US tweaks) is a safe bet, not super modern, but a robust design with proven architecture.

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, and the timeframe you are looking in. For me, this is the right time to buy the truck, and everything I've read and heard and experienced thus far tells me I'm going to be very happy with it. If I opted to wait for the new version, to get one with the initial bugs worked out I think you are realistically looking at another 4 years of waiting. I will be doing a 3 year lease on mine, with the expectation that I will be buying out the lease at the end of the term. If the new Ranger is truly the be all, end all, I could possibly turn in mine and buy a new one. But I doubt that a new one is going to have anything so much better than this one does.- at least for me.
:like: I agree, I have been waiting awhile for the Rangers to come back. Hoping they would. My 1998 Ranger with 320K+ miles on it, is slowing dying, but has been such a good truck I wanted to replace it with another Ranger. For awhile it looked like I wouldn't get that chance. Now it's here (well still waiting for it :computerrage:) So for me I don't have time to wait 2 to 3 years. But even if I didn't have that pressure to replace my truck I would get it anyway. I do not regret my decision one bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
I’m not worried about how soon the next new ranger will be here .. everyone who thinks they’ll be a 2.7 in the next one is being very optimistic .. that’s like saying Toyota should but the small v8 in the Tacoma .. it just won’t happen , they’ll be advancements in the 2.3 giving it more power and torque but I highly doubt they’ll do the 2.7 in a ranger .. the 2.3/10 speed is the perfect blend of power and efficiency in this size truck
Sponsored