Terrain management upgrade?

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
A forum member has given me his FX4 Lariat VIN to add to my spreadsheet (thanks Charlie!).

I'm still looking for Non-FX4 2019 Lariat Owner to "donate his VIN to [as-built] science" (so to speak). Please PM me if you're willing to let me look at your as-built!
Glad to help!
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I tried updating the PCM and ABS system and also the IPC but it did not work and worse yet, I now have unrecoverable ABS errors. Somehow, someway ForScan is no longer loading all of the ABS PIDS it did prior to my dicking around. And yes, the ones I need to change I cannot see because they are not being loaded.

At this point I guess my option is to back out ALL my changes and call the dealer for service.

Not good. Not happy.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Ugh, sorry to hear that Geoff. Do you have the style of connector with the switch that needs to be swapped to show different forscan data? I don't know much about that style, remember reading about it. My connector does not have the hi / lo speed (?) switch. I guess mine does that automatically. Was hoping maybe that was your issue.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I tried updating the PCM and ABS system and also the IPC but it did not work and worse yet, I now have unrecoverable ABS errors. Somehow, someway ForScan is no longer loading all of the ABS PIDS it did prior to my dicking around. And yes, the ones I need to change I cannot see because they are not being loaded.

At this point I guess my option is to back out ALL my changes and call the dealer for service.

Not good. Not happy.

Saeb said that may happen, and taking the battery loose for 15 mins or so would reset it and allow you to reflash it.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Saeb said that may happen, and taking the battery loose for 15 mins or so would reset it and allow you to reflash it.
Reflash it how? I'm all for trying but I have no idea how to do that.

If disconnecitng the battery 15 minutes brings back all the pids that may just save my bacon. I carefully recorded the values I saw in Forscan before changing (there were a couple exceptions to the as-built file).

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
On second though I recall having Forscan try to recover (or whatever the wording) and it downloaded something but could not complete because the number of pids didn't match.....maybe that what Saeb means????

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reflash it how? I'm all for trying but I have no idea how to do that.

If disconnecitng the battery 15 minutes brings back all the pids that may just save my bacon. I carefully recorded the values I saw in Forscan before changing (there were a couple exceptions to the as-built file).
He said it would "reset". He also said it wasn't risky because it is easy to reset. I'm assuming you can pull the neg cable for a few mins and see what Forscan picks up. There's also the "restore asbuilt" option in Forscan which will usually correct anything that can be caused by Forscan.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
He said it would "reset". He also said it wasn't risky because it is easy to reset. I'm assuming you can pull the neg cable for a few mins and see what Forscan picks up. There's also the "restore asbuilt" option in Forscan which will usually correct anything that can be caused by Forscan.
Yeah I'll try that in the morning sometime. Yep, I tried the Forscan Restore asbuilt it accessed the net and download something but could not complete it without error. Fingers crossed, glimmer of hope. Really not looking forward to telling the dealer SM what I was up to........(He'd have to be thinking you stupid fuck).

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Success.

I'm really glad I don't have to go to the dealer and confess my sins.....lol...

OK, so I disconnected the battery and waited but it made no difference.

Long story short....FORScan reads the Ford As-Built file and you can "Load all", then "Write all". I did this for the ABS module and it is now functioning correctly with no DTC's.

Now, I still had DTC's in the PAM and IPMA. I was tempted to "Load All and then Write All" (in the PAM module) but decided instead to just clear one of the PAM DTCs (especially since I made no changes in these modules). That ended up reseting all errors and now my truck has 0 DTC's.

Whew.

Now, strangely Forscan is still not loading all of the ABS Pids but the vehicle aint broke and I'm not going to fiddle around in this module anymore so I guess it'll just stay an oddity....

Thanks for your help t4thfavor !!

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ugh, sorry to hear that Geoff. Do you have the style of connector with the switch that needs to be swapped to show different forscan data? I don't know much about that style, remember reading about it. My connector does not have the hi / lo speed (?) switch. I guess mine does that automatically. Was hoping maybe that was your issue.
FYI, I have the OBDLink EX which has the switch 'built in'. It works great and I highly recommend this wired OBDII USB reader.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Success.

I'm really glad I don't have to go to the dealer and confess my sins.....lol...

OK, so I disconnected the battery and waited but it made no difference.

Long story short....FORScan reads the Ford As-Built file and you can "Load all", then "Write all". I did this for the ABS module and it is now functioning correctly with no DTC's.

Now, I still had DTC's in the PAM and IPMA. I was tempted to "Load All and then Write All" (in the PAM module) but decided instead to just clear one of the PAM DTCs (especially since I made no changes in these modules). That ended up reseting all errors and now my truck has 0 DTC's.

Whew.

Now, strangely Forscan is still not loading all of the ABS Pids but the vehicle aint broke and I'm not going to fiddle around in this module anymore so I guess it'll just stay an oddity....

Thanks for your help t4thfavor !!
Glad you got it resolved. When I was trying to get my climate menu back in Sync after I updated to 3.4, the only way it worked was when I "loaded all and wrote all" - I think there is some checking that goes on when you update and if you haven't updated all the appropriate PIDs correctly, it will modify things.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Glad you got it resolved. When I was trying to get my climate menu back in Sync after I updated to 3.4, the only way it worked was when I "loaded all and wrote all" - I think there is some checking that goes on when you update and if you haven't updated all the appropriate PIDs correctly, it will modify things.
Yeah, I think you are correct with checking going on.
I'm still wanting 3.4 but I'm really hoping Ford releases an updater.......SOON Ford. Please...

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was unaware that FORScan could read and load the Ford AsBuilt data to a particular module until today. I noted the Load AB button before now but today I just decided to try it (had nothing to lose) and thankfully it worked just the way you'd hope and expect.

Having thought about this for a bit this afternoon I've come to a couple thoughts:
  • For example, it'd be pretty straight forward to replace the ABS portion of a non-FX4 AB file with one from an FX4 AsBuilt file. This would prevent any errors that could happen while trying to change them using the more typical method.
  • It would also be quite easy to edit the vehicle AsBuilt file to make select changes to the ABS module (say 1 or 2 PIDs vs replacing the whole ABS file from another vehicle).
If I were to try this again I'd probably opt for the second method.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Here is something else I recently learned and should persuade most of us not to just swap ABS AsBuilt files...
Encoded within the ABS PIDs 760-01-01, 760-01-02, 760-01-03, and 760-01-04 is the vehicles VIN.

You can prove this to yourself quite easily.....convert your VIN to hex using an ASCII table
The VIN shows up in various parts of those 4 PIDs.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is something else I recently learned and should persuade most of us not to just swap ABS AsBuilt files...
Encoded within the ABS PIDs 760-01-01, 760-01-02, 760-01-03, and 760-01-04 is the vehicles VIN.

You can prove this to yourself quite easily.....convert your VIN to hex using an ASCII table
The VIN shows up in various parts of those 4 PIDs.
I think I said somewhere in this thread to change everything but the first block because it had the vin. If I didn’t, I meant to.
Sponsored