micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
This is probably why many dealers dont listen the first time around. they know a BS story when it walks in the door
I wasnt implying a BS story - you said the threads where off center or crocked. Tell the dealer what happened and see what they say, no reason to be dishonest.

At the very least they can fix it and should have the tools to do it right. I am sure this is not the 1st time this has happened to a customer or to their own mechanics!
Sponsored

SVTRondogg

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi Chris,

This situation might call for a large Rivnut. Dealer should be able to do this for you...just drill out to proper size, Rivnut tool sets the rivnut and you are good to go...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, sidebar: How would you fix a similar situation with threads for the shoulder harness belt?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, sidebar: How would you fix a similar situation with threads for the shoulder harness belt?
Hi Ron,

Yikes! What happened....now we are dealing with a safety crash item... I would say that similar to mounting seat belts in race cars You need a graded bolt, large thick hardened backup washer and graded nut. Would be helpful to have picutres of the threads in question and the surrounding area. One other thought is to inquire of the Dealer Body Shop on how they would repair such damaged threads after the crash damage was fixed.....

I would consider the tailgate threads non safety but seat belt anchorage critical. Wish I could be of more help. Post some pix if you can..

Good luck!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
OK everybody - sorry for coming off wrong, I was not advocating screwing the dealership!
From his description it sounded like something did not look right after he removed the stock bolt.
All I was saying was take it to them and tell them what you saw AND DID. See what the can do. Of course they may charge for it or they could say we have seen a few of these and fix it for free. Its worth a try. Unless you can 1) get the bolt out and 2) have a rivnet tool that can handle that large a fastener.

Good Luck OP