Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I am writing this looking for any idea on how to fix my issue.

While installing my damper I noticed one of the threads in the tailgate was off center. I figured it would be fine since that’s how it was shipped from the factory, but once I threaded the new screw in, the thread broke free from the inside of the tailgate.

Any idea on how I could remedy this situation? (The free spinning bolt issue that is) right now I can neither tighten or
remove the screw. If I do remove the screw then I’ll have a rattle from the thread falling into the tailgate.

Thankfully the tailgate and damper function anyway, but I want everything to be normal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I am writing this looking for any idea on how to fix my issue.

While installing my damper I noticed one of the threads in the tailgate was off center. I figured it would be fine since that’s how it was shipped from the factory, but once I threaded the new screw in, the thread broke free from the inside of the tailgate.

Any idea on how I could remedy this situation? (The free spinning bolt issue that is) right now I can neither tighten or
remove the screw. If I do remove the screw then I’ll have a rattle from the thread falling into the tailgate.

Thankfully the tailgate and damper function anyway, but I want everything to be normal.
Well tha sux!
Can you reach it via the access panel?
I would give the dealer a try before removing, as it should not have done that!
The damper is a Ford accessory after all.
Good luck!!

EDIT: I AM NOT SAYING TO TRY AND SCREW THE DEALER HERE! Describe what happened as you did here and see what they say.

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Well that ain't good. Sounds like there was a problem when the threaded thingy was attached. I'd try the dealer. Good luck.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
DAMPER STRONG LIKE RUSSIAN BEAR!

222bjf.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Is there a nut plate back there still? If so, drill andcut new threads for a bigger bolt.

Not really picking up what you're putting down. Pics would help.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a nut plate back there still? If so, drill andcut new threads for a bigger bolt.

Not really picking up what you're putting down. Pics would help.
Hi Chris,

This situation might call for a large Rivnut. Dealer should be able to do this for you...just drill out to proper size, Rivnut tool sets the rivnut and you are good to go...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
BravoBrun

BravoBrun

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

snapped a pic, can’t really see the other side but there is a tac welded nut behind the metal of the tailgate that the black screw threads into. One was slightly off center (one on the right) causing it to cross thread, which is funny because the stock screw was installed in that same hole but it’s not deformed.

I am beginning to think the Rivnut will be the best option as well.

I will try to take the access panel off but I just had the bed spray lined, so it may be a little trickier.

8571FC56-8447-41BC-A846-74EC9CA38588.jpeg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

snapped a pic, can’t really see the other side but there is a tac welded nut behind the metal of the tailgate that the black screw threads into. One was slightly off center (one on the right) causing it to cross thread, which is funny because the stock screw was installed in that same hole but it’s not deformed.

I am beginning to think the Rivnut will be the best option as well.

I will try to take the access panel off but I just had the bed spray lined, so it may be a little trickier.
Good luck! They should have taken the acccess panel off when they sprayed it, so you should be able to get it off easily. Now if they didn't take it off before spraying...

The dealer or a mechanic should be able to install the rivnut. One that big really needs the correct tool.

I still would try the dealer and tell them it was messed up before you installed the new screw. its worth a try

Again good luck

EDIT: I AM NOT SAYING TO TRY AND SCREW THE DEALER HERE! Describe what happened as you did here and see what they say.

Last edited:

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
A pem nut might be a better solution than a rivnut if you can reach your hand inside the tailgate access panel and get it started. Once tightened itll be pressed into the metal and stay there if you ever take the bolt back out, no special tools needed. Rivnuts need a special gun to be installed.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I thought the tailgate is of aluminum making tack welding a nut to the inside impossible unless the nut is also aluminum. I would guess a steel plate with the nuts tack welded to it. You should be able to access the area after removing the access plate from the tailgate. So you might be able to reach the area with vice grips to get the bolt off the nut, remove the plate (if that's what's there) and weld a new nut to the plate.

All just a guess.

OP
OP
BravoBrun

BravoBrun

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the tailgate is of aluminum making tack welding a nut to the inside impossible unless the nut is also aluminum. I would guess a steel plate with the nuts tack welded to it. You should be able to access the area after removing the access plate from the tailgate. So you might be able to reach the area with vice grips to get the bolt off the nut, remove the plate (if that's what's there) and weld a new nut to the plate.

All just a guess.
Good news, sort of, there are simply round nuts that press up against the aluminum. They had blue lock tight to keep them from slipping, when tightened or loosened. I guess mine was glued off center.

I opened the access panel in the tailgate but the middle cross member will prevent any access to the lower portion of the tailgate. I just have to figure out how to hold that round nut to tighten. Without being able to get a good grip on it

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Ratchet with extension.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Good news, sort of, there are simply round nuts that press up against the aluminum. They had blue lock tight to keep them from slipping, when tightened or loosened. I guess mine was glued off center.

I opened the access panel in the tailgate but the middle cross member will prevent any access to the lower portion of the tailgate. I just have to figure out how to hold that round nut to tighten. Without being able to get a good grip on it
That sounds like the PEM fasteners mentioned above. They have a smaller serrated step that gets pressed into the hole from the back side. They may have used loctite to help secure the fastener but it might be something to prevent galvanic corrosion as well since you have aluminum and steel together.

Those may have been installed before they got the tailgate put together so you may not have access. At this point, a Rivnut may be the best solution since installation only requires external access. You may want to use something to prevent galvanic corrosion.