Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had a deezee on their ranger a while?
I’ve had them on my ram 2500 (3) and had to stop using them because they didn’t last.
I had one on my 2010 F150 from 2010 until 2019 and never an issue.
Sponsored

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4X4, FX4, Black package
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
The same exact one Fjoyner lists. DZ43206. Ford part # VKB3Z-99406A10-A
I guess I don't get that. I sent a msg to DeeZee. They are right here where I live, not that it matters, but I suppose just because Ford lists it, doesn't mean it's available. Why would DZ not sell it through their own distributors and dealers? The whole things seems odd. I'll keep trying.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I guess I don't get that. I sent a msg to DeeZee. They are right here where I live, not that it matters, but I suppose just because Ford lists it, doesn't mean it's available. Why would DZ not sell it through their own distributors and dealers? The whole things seems odd. I'll keep trying.
I just got a reply from DeeZee Corp. He says they will be available the week of March 9th.

Forrest

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They are probably required to send some number to Ford, and haven't made enough to also sell them in another channel

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
They are probably required to send some number to Ford, and haven't made enough to also sell them in another channel
Entirely possible. I have only mastered the demand side of supply and demand. :) Somewhat ironic in that Ford will someday make this an included feature or this 'demand' guy would hope so. Granted, the tailgate doesn't weigh 200lbs, but it just makes sense at least for the other than minimally-equipped models. Or that's what this consumer thinks, anyway!

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Entirely possible. I have only mastered the demand side of supply and demand. :) Somewhat ironic in that Ford will someday make this an included feature or this 'demand' guy would hope so. Granted, the tailgate doesn't weigh 200lbs, but it just makes sense at least for the other than minimally-equipped models. Or that's what this consumer thinks, anyway!
My asessment is that this wasn't built into the 5th Gen Ranger because FORD brought a slightly modified version of the ROW Ranger to NA. I would certainly expect the NEW Ranger which will likely be released in 2022 will have this built in regrdles of the weight of the tailgate.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
When I ordered mine in early December, there was a footnote in the Ford accessories catalog (at the Ford Parts Dept) that said "Check availability before ordering". Apparently they were available cause I got mine two days later.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone find a useable Replacement Strut in the event this one fails? Just like your Hood Struts and rear window struts on hatchbacks, these things fail over time. It's a quick fix to replace them. Mine is fine, and I don't expect it to fail anytime soon as I'm in Florida and probably only open the Tailgate once or twice a week, but was just wondering if a replacement is available that has the same length and dampening effect as the OEM version.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone find a useable Replacement Strut in the event this one fails? Just like your Hood Struts and rear window struts on hatchbacks, these things fail over time. It's a quick fix to replace them. Mine is fine, and I don't expect it to fail anytime soon as I'm in Florida and probably only open the Tailgate once or twice a week, but was just wondering if a replacement is available that has the same length and dampening effect as the OEM version.
Hi Chasvs,

A very good question. I imagine that the cylinder is a standard length, but I am wondering if the internals are DEE ZEE proprietary. I figured if mine when bad I would just remove and resort to non damped tailgate...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I remember back when MarkP was designing his damper he went through several until he found the right one. Because the tailgate is so light it was hard to get the right one to drop it slow enough but also raise it without having to use a lot of force. Because it's taken so long for this one to come out from DeeZee I'm hoping that there will be other aftermarket companies who will have these out which should lower the price and also they should have just the replacement strut.

Edit: I forgot I do have that free one from eBay that was for the ROW Rangers so I think that strut worked but the mounting plates were all wrong.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chasvs,

A very good question. I imagine that the cylinder is a standard length, but I am wondering if the internals are DEE ZEE proprietary. I figured if mine when bad I would just remove and resort to non damped tailgate...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I figured I'd measure the damper and buy one that fits and see what the results were. Don't want to go back to an undampened tailgate now! Hope I don't need to do that anytime soon!

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I wonder what kind of system GM uses. My Canyon worked really well and I'm afraid I really got used to it and learned to like it a lot.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I tracked one down and installed it ... now I'm impatient waiting for the tailgate to drop.
Sponsored