Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. A couple months back I installed a tailgate damper.
This mod made my whole life easier whenever I have to open the tailgate! No more worrying about having to deal with supporting the weight of the tailgate with my arms. No more cringing and hoping the tailgate doesn’t slip out of my hands and crash down when I open it.

I got to thinking - if ONE damper makes this much of a difference and makes opening the tailgate this much easier alleviating any fear when opening it - maybe we can make it even better by adding a 2ND TAILGATE DAMPER!
One on the other side as well.

The benefits could be substantial. For starters, the obvious advantage is to further slow down the downward motion of the tailgate. But just as important, it would balance the load and reduce the load on the single damper thus potentially increasing the lifespan of the damper. From an aesthetic point of view having one on each side might be more visually appealing.

Anyone want to be the first in trying to add a SECOND DAMPER? Adding the first one was quite an undertaking and I’m not up for this challenge.....but maybe someone else is? I wanted to share this idea as maybe it has some potential.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I think one that helps lift it and one that pushes it down is the perfect solution. They would cancel each other out, perfect.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I think one that helps lift it and one that pushes it down is the perfect solution. They would cancel each other out, perfect.
If you send Dave @AzScorpion the $80 it'll cancel both of them out :angel:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This mod made my whole life easier whenever I have to open the tailgate! No more worrying about having to deal with supporting the weight of the tailgate with my arms. No more cringing and hoping the tailgate doesn’t slip out of my hands and crash down when I open it.

I got to thinking - if ONE damper makes this much of a difference and makes opening the tailgate this much easier alleviating any fear when opening it - maybe we can make it even better by adding a 2ND TAILGATE DAMPER!

The benefits could be substantial. For starters, the obvious advantage is to further slow down the downward motion of the tailgate. But just as important, it would balance the load and reduce the load on the single damper thus potentially increasing the lifespan of the damper. From an aesthetic point of view having one on each side might be more visually appealing.

Anyone want to be the first in trying to add a SECOND DAMPER? Adding the first one was quite an undertaking and I’m not up for this challenge.....but maybe someone else is? I wanted to share this idea as maybe it has some potential.
It won't work. You're forgetting one of the most important reasons to get a damper, the hp and torque gains. By adding two dampers all that extra hp/torque will twist the Ranger frame like a pretzel. I'm talking with Anthony at Livernois now to see if he can help with this. ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
When we chatted about this, he (Anthony) said something like if you put the tune in backwards it would alleviate the frame stresses...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing blinker fluid can't fix...

OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
When we chatted about this, he (Anthony) said something like if you put the tune in backwards it would alleviate the frame stresses...
Maybe they can add an option when purchasing the tune asking if you have 1 damper or 2 dampers.....along with a disclaimer of course saying they accept no responsibility for issues that may arise when running the 2 damper tune.

Reactions: FoD

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Alan,

Wow....livin on the edge with 2 dampers!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Who would win?
The unstoppable lift or the unstoppable damper?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Heck, if someone sends me a right side damper, I'll give it go. ?

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I would like to see a heavy duty tailgate damper which would increase the horsepower even more . Maybe call it the elephant model . Take it DEE ZEE .
Sponsored