Tailgate Damper Installation

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I purchased from Amazon the tailgate damper kit intended for the international version of the Ford Ranger with the understanding it would not bolt on to my 2019 Ranger. With a few simple modifications, I installed the kit as shown below.

The fitting that attaches to the tailgate that came in the kit is for the left side. I had to do some minor filing to get it to mate properly at the forward bolt as shown. I determined the location of the upper attach point ensuring that the tailgate load is carried by the cables and not the gas spring. With the tailgate down and my weight on it, I ensured that the gas spring was not bottomed out, i.e., not under a tensile load.

For the upper attachment, I cut down the threads of the included fitting to a length of .125 inches. Using a .125 thickness steel cad plated strap I had in my shop, I drilled a tapped a hole in the strap to screw the modified fitting into. The fitting does not screw into the bed sidewall and it only has to carry the weight of the aluminum tailgater as it opens. It is important that the gas spring be parallel to the tailgate and bed opening for best operation. I did drill one small hole at the bottom of the strap into the truck bed for installation of a stainless sheetmetal screw to better secure the strap to my satisfaction. On assembly, all areas were sprayed with Fluid Film for corrosion protection. I positioned the tailgate cable to the outside of the gas spring body and found no interference when opening and closing the tailgate. The kit comes with some small springs to use from a fitting on the upper tailgate bolt location to secure the cable but I found it not necessary. There are several YouTube videos that show the kit install on the international Rangers that this kit is intended for.

The kit from Amazon came with 2 sets of gas springs so i have a spare if needed. It works great and I am quite pleased with how it came out. Almost looks factory.....:)

IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Nice work! I’d also appreciate if you’d post the link of what you purchased as well.

OP
OP
rpeterson53

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
OP
OP
rpeterson53

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I’ll be ordering one up shortly. I’m thinking I could just extend the bed mounted plate up and use one of the taillight bolts/screws instead of drilling an extra hole for the extra support.
I don’t like drilling extra holes either but structurally the location of the added hole was a non factor and I ensured proper corrosion protection as I retired as an engineer in the commercial aviation arena. I took it on more as a challenge than a need to damp the tailgate. But I must admit every trip by the tailgate I lower it to enjoy the action

cheers

Roy

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
I purchased from Amazon the tailgate damper kit intended for the international version of the Ford Ranger with the understanding it would not bolt on to my 2019 Ranger. With a few simple modifications, I installed the kit as shown below.

The fitting that attaches to the tailgate that came in the kit is for the left side. I had to do some minor filing to get it to mate properly at the forward bolt as shown. I determined the location of the upper attach point ensuring that the tailgate load is carried by the cables and not the gas spring. With the tailgate down and my weight on it, I ensured that the gas spring was not bottomed out, i.e., not under a tensile load.

For the upper attachment, I cut down the threads of the included fitting to a length of .125 inches. Using a .125 thickness steel cad plated strap I had in my shop, I drilled a tapped a hole in the strap to screw the modified fitting into. The fitting does not screw into the bed sidewall and it only has to carry the weight of the aluminum tailgater as it opens. It is important that the gas spring be parallel to the tailgate and bed opening for best operation. I did drill one small hole at the bottom of the strap into the truck bed for installation of a stainless sheetmetal screw to better secure the strap to my satisfaction. On assembly, all areas were sprayed with Fluid Film for corrosion protection. I positioned the tailgate cable to the outside of the gas spring body and found no interference when opening and closing the tailgate. The kit comes with some small springs to use from a fitting on the upper tailgate bolt location to secure the cable but I found it not necessary. There are several YouTube videos that show the kit install on the international Rangers that this kit is intended for.

The kit from Amazon came with 2 sets of gas springs so i have a spare if needed. It works great and I am quite pleased with how it came out. Almost looks factory.....:)

IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg
Deezee 43206 is supposed to be available at the first of 2020.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks! When I called a few weeks back, they only gave me the "after the new year". I appreciate it.
IIRC DeeZee was supposed to have them out early in 2019 then changed the date several times. You can add your name to @TheMarkP list here. [email protected] Send him an email with your contact info

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rpeterson53 , is there any chance you could tell me the centre to centre distance of the tailgate cable bolt to the hole you drilled and tapped? My kit came in last week and I’m hoping to work on it sometime this week.

OP
OP
rpeterson53

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rpeterson53 , is there any chance you could tell me the centre to centre distance of the tailgate cable bolt to the hole you drilled and tapped? My kit came in last week and I’m hoping to work on it sometime this week.
Glad to help a fellow Canadian ! Centre line to centre line measures 2.6 inches. With the tailgate shut, there still is about 1 inch of stroke left in the damper so you could increase the c/l dimension some to ensure with tailgate down there is no loading on the damper, i.e., the cables carry the load. This dimension worked for the dampers I used.

i found a simpler way to install the upper damper bolt. I cut the threads off flush to the base of the fitting. Then I drilled and tapped 1/4 - 20 threads into the fitting. On the steel strap, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole and then countersunk the hole on the back side. Using a countersunk 1/4 inch screw, I then screwed it into the fitting. I think this is simpler than my first approach I detailed. It’s secure and the only load on the upper damper fitting is the weight of the tailgate.

I’m very pleased with how the installation works and love just opening the tailgate to watch it slowly lower. If you need any additions details, let me know..

Cheers

Roy.......living in exile from Calgary

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg
Hi Roy,

I think you did a stellar job! Kudos! If I was to do this, instead of a stainless sheetmetal screw, I would have added a rivnut and used a contersinked tapered grade 8 hex head screw. for more looks than function. Well done!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to help a fellow Canadian ! Centre line to centre line measures 2.6 inches. With the tailgate shut, there still is about 1 inch of stroke left in the damper so you could increase the c/l dimension some to ensure with tailgate down there is no loading on the damper, i.e., the cables carry the load. This dimension worked for the dampers I used.

i found a simpler way to install the upper damper bolt. I cut the threads off flush to the base of the fitting. Then I drilled and tapped 1/4 - 20 threads into the fitting. On the steel strap, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole and then countersunk the hole on the back side. Using a countersunk 1/4 inch screw, I then screwed it into the fitting. I think this is simpler than my first approach I detailed. It’s secure and the only load on the upper damper fitting is the weight of the tailgate.

I’m very pleased with how the installation works and love just opening the tailgate to watch it slowly lower. If you need any additions details, let me know..

Cheers

Roy.......living in exile from Calgary
Thanks Roy! I was thinking I may just cut the fitting like you did, drill the hole where the fitting goes and plug weld it in place. That works as long as it’s steel as well, I haven’t looked that close yet.

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine installed today!!! one of the few things I missed from my Colorado was having a tailgate dampener, this part just did it for me. ONe of the best mods by far.
Sponsored