Tacoma is not so reliable as folks think

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
Though it may sound like it, i'm not bashing the Tacoma. I like it besides the horrible transmission/transmission tuning and some aspects of its design are better than the Ranger. But I'm so tired of the Tacoma being touted as the most reliable thing on the planet.

I stumbled across this thread while looking for other information and it's not 'new' but it summarizes some interesting points regarding the Tacoma and specifically the engine.

2gr-fks engine catastrophic failures. | Tacoma World

The thread is closed. Also, please don't spam their forum. Just read and inform yourself and hopefully others that the Tacoma isn't god's gift to reliability that folks think.

Funny I used to own a 17 Tacoma and just got the attached email today.

185269381_2937387419823734_3866837900868316742_n.jpg
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's always been clear to anyone looking at things objectively, but Toyota's reality distortion field is second only to Apple's. Reliability is on a spectrum, there's no such thing as "this make is always reliable and that make is always unreliable". But in internet flamewars it's most common to argue one ridiculous extreme or the contrary.

OP
OP
commbubba19

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I was really shocked at how the one person stated their engine failed at 88k with a 100k mile extended powertrain warranty and couldn't get the failure covered. I'm sure there are details missing as to why.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Looking at the second picture, I think I see the problem. :crackup:

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Not surprising at all. I see the tier manufacturing facilities for Toyota, Nissan etc from the inside, because I sell them their tooling. Aisin, FPI, Kiriu and all others use the cheapest machines, most crude tooling solutions and worst manufacturing processes I have ever seen. Japanese automotive is so far behind US & European automotive manufacturing, its amazing they don't make more scrap. They always use homeland Japanese suppliers if possible, because the Japanese govt gives subsidies for buying from homeland companies. No matter if you can provide a lower cost, more reliable process, tooling solution that reduces their CPU overall, they will find a way to stay with homeland companies. The work ethic in the plants is lackluster at best as well. The Japanese managers would rather see 10 people running around with hammers and chisels trying to solve a problem, instead of a team sitting down to analyze and find a solid reliable solution to a process problem. Its finally catching up to them…..

OP
OP
commbubba19

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
Funny I’ve heard similar tooling comments about Ford and other US oems always going for the cheapest bid from a supplier.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Funny I’ve heard similar tooling comments about Ford and other US oems always going for the cheapest bid from a supplier.
That is the way of the world. Think about this, almost every building you’ve ever walked in was built by the cheapest bidder.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
In my former life when I owned an industrial diamond company I visited all of the Automotive manufacturers back in the 80’s and 90’s. That was the turning point in America. Build cars that last or pick up your toys and go home. The Japanese were first to embrace the new technology and put it to good use. They got a reputation very quickly of building cars that were priced right and lasted. American car makers we’re getting their proverbial asses kicked. They relented in the end once they saw there was no other way.

Today, it’s all about squeezing profit out of the finished product in some cases, quality being a second thought. Risky game that will find some taking another ass kicking for not taking the high road.

C141B FE

First Name
Darron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired Engineer, AF Veteran
That is the way of the world. Think about this, almost every building you’ve ever walked in was built by the cheapest bidder.
LOL Similar to what we'd tell the new FE's when they entered C141B flight training. "Remember, the lowest bidder built this airplane, so you better pay attention to your preflight checklists."

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Compared to the US Japan is a much smaller country - so would appear they've done well in the auto biz . I remember in the 80s being involved in the offshoring of a US produced product, focus was on contracting Japanese firms and they were given a target of reducing defects from somewhere around 120 per 1,000 units, at the meeting the Japanese reps smiled and talked quietly amongst themselves, I later found out they thought the goal was a misprint and should have been around 20 defects per 1k units.

No doubt the US auto industry has markedly improved since the 80s or they'd be long gone, but they still have needed gov assistance from time to time, not Ford of course.

Top Car Producers in the World
According to the OICA, the following countries are the top automobile producers in the world based on 2019 statistics. Numbers include total vehicles produced, both cars and commercial vehicles.

1. China (25.72 million)
  2. United States (10.88 million)
  3. Japan (9.68 million)
  4. Germany (4.66 million)
  5. India (4.51 million)
  6. Mexico (3.99 million)
  7. South Korea (3.95 million)
  8. Brazil (2.94 million)
  9. Spain (2.82 million)
  10. France (2.20 million)

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I agree. Toyotas have always been good vehicles in terms of reliability, but people act like they're significantly more reliable than anything else on the road, which is obviously not true (at least most of the time). I will say though, the one thing that is much, much better designed on the Tacoma compared to either the Ranger or the Colorado is how the back seat folds. I am still very jealous about that and wish we had it in our trucks. Got slightly off topic there, sorry.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Very true. The design of the backseat storage in our trucks is woeful compared to almost any other truck.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I had a '93 Toyota truck, and I think the Taco came out in '95. I had the truck for 23 years, and while I didn't put many miles on it (about 55k when I sold it) I don't remember any major events with it. By the time I sold it had started to get a bit of rust, and had a minor oil leak. It was a great truck, but I also took care of it with all major service on schedule, etc. Also drove an '84 corolla 250K miles over 20 plus years, same thing. Never a major issue.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Have you ever seen Toyota aficionados comments on YouTube or other platforms? Jesus Mary, they are “fans” to the fullest. They’re probably the most rabid out of any vehicle manufacturer.

And I sure as FUCK don’t get it about the Tacoma. I’ve sat in one and have driven before. It feels like you’re sitting on the damn floor, the engine lacks punch and the transmission shifting strategy is horrible.

I mean, I’ve actually worked with one die hard which I posted about before. Turned out his truck had a crapload of work done on it which he literally hid from the rest of us lol.

I feel a lot of buyers just see the Toyota emblem and think 20 Japanese put them together personally or feel they sprinkled some sort of magic Japanese powder onto the steel and other components.

Nope, dudes, just steel, aluminum and plastic like the rest of them out there today. And they’re put together in San Antonio Texas. Not assembled in some Uber focused Japanese nerd’s facility.

There’s this one North West outdoorsy type on YouTube who loves the adventure, decked out in camo, reviews tents, has a nice rugged Diamond back HD…….whom I won’t name. Loads it with a fuck ton of weight, undoubtedly making the engine scream and huff louder than it does when unloaded. When I see his channel and his adoration for his truck, I think 1. Dude, just get a fuckin’ full size or a heavy duty, and 2. Yup. There is an archetypal Toyota fanboy, and he’s it.

I can go on…….

I’d buy a Tundra for sure, so I can’t knock everything Toyota. But I am not going to have a cum fest over a badge on the front of the truck.