Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Glad you got it off. I think we've all had that one that didn't want to budge. I read where a guy on the Harley forum had one so stuck he drove 2 or 3 self tapping screws through the bottom of the oil filter wench (the cap type you use a ratchet on) into the oil filter to keep it from spinning an got it off. Sometimes I think the factory doesn't oil the gasket an the rubber melts a solid seal to the surface.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Time for my first oil change.

Cannot get the oil filter to budge. .... There is no room for me to get a strap wrench in and spin it. How the heck am I to get this POS off? :mad:
Glad you finally got the filter off.

In the event somebody else has this problem try using a piece of rubber, jammed between the oil filter wrench and the stuck filter.... worked for me.

007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma
If the piece of rubber is not handy, I have found that sand paper wedged between the filter and filter wrench works very well too.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I had to use one of those the jaw things to get it off. Crushed the filter, but it came off. When the snows gone I'm crawling under the truck to see about a spot for a remote filter. I found the kit I want, just need to see if there's a good place for the filter.
When you get this kit installed, please post info.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had to use one of those the jaw things to get it off. Crushed the filter, but it came off. When the snows gone I'm crawling under the truck to see about a spot for a remote filter. I found the kit I want, just need to see if there's a good place for the filter.
The factory installed filter (FoMoCo 9W7E 6714BA) is smaller than the Motorcraft FL-910S.

You won't have any problem removing the Motorcraft FL-910S if you use the correct filter socket.

FWIW: I installed a remote filter on my 1927 Ford Hot Rod... sum-bitch leaks where the filter seals against the remote housing... I hate it. You trade one sealing surface for 5 more possible leaks.

007.JPG

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
In the future consider this, the nut on the end makes it immensely easier to get the filter off. Don't know why other filter manufactures don't do this.

HP-1002 K&N OIL FILTER

OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I will never use another K&N oil filter again.
I previously stated on my experience that the nut popped off when I was removing it from my older Ranger. I had to punch a screwdriver through it to get it off. I have not used them since.

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
ive rounded those nuts off and i've almost torn one off as well. they're at best a last resort.

my worst filter experience ended up with nothing left except the screw on portion. everything else tore off.
I ended up using a cold chisel on the edge lip to impart a little fear into the little that remained and finally got some movement out of it....then it spun off with a flick of the wrist ....piiiiisssed.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In the future consider this, the nut on the end makes it immensely easier to get the filter off. Don't know why other filter manufactures don't do this.

HP-1002 K&N OIL FILTER
Simply not needed. Buy a filter socket that is properly sized and you will have no issues whatsoever.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XLT-Sport 4x4 SuperCab Ignot Silver
He-man put on the original oil filter on our Rangers.