Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Time for my first oil change.

Cannot get the oil filter to budge. I've been to the parts store and tried a 73, 74, 75, and 76mm filter wrenches.. The 73 I actually have to smack to get on, but it just spins and doesn't move the filter. The new OEM filter I have is a 76mm, which I already had a wrench for so I thought this was a cake walk.

There is no room for me to get a strap wrench in and spin it. How the heck am I to get this POS off? :mad:
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Yea, not a real friendly location. I had good luck with a small strap wrench.

Might have to go old school and beat a screw driver through the side of the filter to get some leverage.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Try a small ratcheting tie down strap.

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may head up to HF and try that for my filter negotiation. That might work.

I just cannot fathom how to swing a strap wrench in there, but I am up for that also.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Many times getting the oil filter off the first time is a bitch. It's like it's factory welded on. Same with the oil plug sometimes. Torqued on, my ass!

Last edited:

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I have a filter remover with the strap. Before that I just shoved a screw driver in the side of it and used that to rotate it loose. Messy though.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought, let the dealer do the first two or so ,it usually is on their dime and for sure when it is causing you the grief that it shouldn't ; must be gorilla's putting those things on.
Save the oil and filter till the dealer has fixed the problem the factory apes caused.
Our Rangers are sure nice.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Wrenches didn’t work for me either. I just grabbed some simple green, paper towels, cleaned it, and muscled that son of a gun off. (Guess I beat the gorilla????)

I threw a FRAM on there because of their grip at the end and have been using them since my 86 el Camino. That extra grip makes all the difference.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I had to use one of those the jaw things to get it off. Crushed the filter, but it came off. When the snows gone I'm crawling under the truck to see about a spot for a remote filter. I found the kit I want, just need to see if there's a good place for the filter.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
First a story of my first attempt at doing my own oil change as a teenager (74 Mustang). Tried to hand turn the filter it wouldnt budge. Then tried a strap wrench... No luck... Then a socket cap wrench... Wouldnt budge... Then on the recommendation of my brother (havent taken his mechanical advice since)... Drove a screw driver through the filter and completly ripped the housing cover off that filter with the remaing portion still sitting nicely on the filter hole. After having completely made my car not driveable for what was to be a simple sunday oil change... I had to call the garage and have them tow the car and grind off the old filter. To add insult to injury they were the garage who did the previous filter change and blamed me for turning it wrong way... I was a teenager pretty sure i did it right but could not definitively dispute this... So i paid probably around 200 for a 20 buck oil change. It took me 15years before I had the courage to do another one... I do not let anyone else change my oil today.

The filter was a little tight on the initial pull... But i now buy a cap wrench that fits the filter and recommend a couple of extenders to give you enough torque to put you shoulder into it... This oil change needs a 6" or 12" to clear the liner and more to clear the wheel well if you get to that...

Dont put a screw driver through it unless its ok for you to tow it if you shear the housing...

It might work or it might not...if it doesnt you cant drive it to someone and have them remove it in a shop.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The HF adapter did it first go. That sucker was on there something fierce. Thanks for that suggestion! New motorcraft is on and properly snug. The new oil has actually quieted down the engine some; enough my wife was surprised it was idling.

I've had to resort to a screwdriver through the filter once before on the 87 when using a K&N oil filter. It has a 1" nut that popped off but it at least had room to twist the screwdriver and filter easily. Thankful I didn't split the housing. Switched back to motorcraft or Bosch and never looked back.

IMG_20200321_113810.jpg

IMG_20200321_114145_01.jpg

Last edited:

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The HF adapter did it first go. That sucker was on there something fierce. Thanks for that suggestion! New motorcraft is on and properly snug. The new oil has actually quieted down the engine some; enough my wife was surprised it was idling.

I've had to resort to a screwdriver through the filter once before on the 87 when using a K&N oil filter. It has a 1" nut that popped off but it at least had room to twist the screwdriver and filter easily. Thankful I didn't split the housing. Switched back to motorcraft or Bosch and never looked back.

IMG_20200321_113810.jpg

IMG_20200321_114145_01.jpg
I remember my first oil change back in 1970 and my Father in-law also told me to use a screw driver, boy what a mess, did it one other time then found out parts stores had filter wrenches on my own, that was less messy and easier, the vehicles were a 1969 Pontiac lemans and a 64 chevy pickup ; I think, that was ages ago now.
Glad you accomplished what you set out to do Man

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Glad it worked out.
Sponsored